Sponsored

Best real world street shock and spring setups?

rnoswal34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt, 50th anniversary
I asked about shocks in a post just a day or 2 ago but thought I would ask what works best for street driving. Bumps, potholes, railroad crossings and such. Just maybe a polling of who likes what on the 2015 and up GT's or similar, since they seem to be the heaviest of them all.

Just seeing if I can find a consensus that most find comfortable in most conditions.

Thanks
Russ
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I asked about shocks in a post just a day or 2 ago but thought I would ask what works best for street driving. Bumps, potholes, railroad crossings and such. Just maybe a polling of who likes what on the 2015 and up GT's or similar, since they seem to be the heaviest of them all.

Just seeing if I can find a consensus that most find comfortable in most conditions.

Thanks
Russ
You will not find a consensus. Some like it soft and some like it hard
And hard for someone could be considered soft by someone else
As a rule the base mustang suspension is soft. Even the pp1 is not that firm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Of the varied configs I've personally had on my vehicles, or ridden in I'd say the "comfy'ist" and still reasonably performant setup is Steeda progressive springs + pro-ACTIVE shocks and Eibach bump stops. Strongly recommend pairing with roll-center correcting lateral links and bump-steer kit.

A small step toward performant is Steeda straight-rate 200/800 spring combo married to FP Track shocks. You can pair them with the the FP progressive springs and sways that comprise the rest of the package, if you prefer more drop. If you want more spring rate, do BMR SP083 front springs.

Again, use Eibach bump stops. Ford/FP bump stops are 'da devil' and don't even think of using Steeda's blue "adjustable" bumpstops.

Next step up the performance is Bilstein dampers with any of the previously mentioned springs but I'd stick to the straight-rates.

Then you get into less street-friendly configs and a bit more $$$

Sponsored

steathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 California Special
GT 350 194# front springs, Ford Perfromance track shocks, Ford Performance front control arms, GT 350 front sway bar, Hotchkiss adjustable rear bar on soft setting, Koni Action shocks, BMR rear cradle lockout kit. Have shock tower brace and cowl brace and K member brace. A good street setup. Very much like a stock Mach 1 setup.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I wont disagree with any of the recommendations above, but I will say the stock PP1 with some Koni adjustables set on a softer setting and a front swaybar was quite good.

Hard to improve on full travel springs if comfort is your priority and the shocks give you the option to dial up for performance when you occasionally want it. Going low usually immediately sacrifices travel you need over bigger bumps

OP
OP
rnoswal34

rnoswal34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt, 50th anniversary
I once owned a 2005 Pontiac GTO. Put all the upgrades that have been mentioned here on that car. There weren't as many options even when I owned it 12 years ago. There are so many options now and things cost 10 times as much is why I am asking basic questions. Because of that, it is harder to narrow what I want from my 2015 gt. I really do appreciate the suggestions and its a car that allows all those options. It The GTO was a 6speed with a 6.0. My car is a paddle shifter that is pretty fun to use. This reminds me of that GTO in several ways. Small town here that seems to love trucks more than anything. No real car clubs to see what can be done. Mostly straight line cars and trucks but I like the curves so these suggestions really help. Closest SCCA is 90 miles away.

Thanks
Russ

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My first thought reading your question - it is a Mustang and it's low to the ground. If stock is not comfortable enough for you, I am not sure how to answer. You could throw parts at it but I don't see the point when the base suspension is already very soft. Or it's not the right car for you. Probably not what you want to hear.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I've been through a few set ups from stock PP suspension, vogtland 1 inch drop springs (rode very nice), Vikings crusaders ( not practical or intended for daily use), and current Steeda proactive "comfort" suspension paired with their progressive springs, sway bars, and stop the hop kit.
Steeda suspension rides like a mechanical version of magneride and still cuts 1.7 60 fts on 275/40/19 Gmax all season tires.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
for daily/street driving, probably the frpp street springs lol

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Consensus? You've got to be joking.

The biggest difference you can do for ride quality is different tires. Start there. Suspension is a distant 2nd variable, although yours might be worn out, being several years old now.

It would help if we knew what suspension you're starting with.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
It’s what I said in the first reply to your post….. you will never find a consensus on something as subjective
Add to that the fact that it is normal human behavior to promote what you have bought and you get this thread 😁

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
As some have said already, it's all relative to preference.
For me, I have had Steeda Dual Rate and ProAction shocks and struts on my car since 2018. Has 56k miles on it now and I love the way it rides. Not too stiff and not too soft. The 30 series tires effected the ride stiffness more than the springs and shocks.
Sponsored