Best detailing rolling chair

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Not that I would ever disagree with DFB, ๐Ÿ˜„ but, the current Griots seat has been greatly improved. It now is a two seater. Just waiting to get a few extra bucks saved to get one.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/compact-sit-on-creeper-ii/

C11AA87B-9D85-46D1-AE4A-7DF3DA6A69C4.jpeg
personally, I can't imagine the low seat being all the useful, but if you really want a two seater, buy the HF one for half the price, mount a set of wheels to a piece of scrap plywood trimmed to fit the seat cushion and put the cushion on it when you want the low-rider.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
personally, I can't imagine the low seat being all the useful, but if you really want a two seater, buy the HF one for half the price, mount a set of wheels to a piece of scrap plywood trimmed to fit the seat cushion and put the cushion on it when you want the low-rider.
Watch the video and you will understand. Also WTH, youโ€™ve spent $50k+ on your car and your looking to save $60.00. OK ๐Ÿ‘

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is one of my favorite things in my garage -The Vyper chairs are very expensive, but unquestionably the best shop chair you can buy.

I've had a few of the cheap pneumatic chairs - the wheels break, you catch an edge or a rock and flip over, everything vibrates out of the tray when you roll them, etc. They get the job done for the price for sure.

I picked up a steel max over a year ago when prices were SIGNIFICANTLY lower. The great thing about it being the base height goes from 15-24". So I have an extremely comfortable low stool that is great for detailing wheels which is easily converted to a counter height chair with a back rest(If I need lower I sit on a creeper). This thing is more comfortable than anything you've eaten dinner sitting in and it rolls ridiculously well...like almost too good. Like you will question if your garage floor has been converted to an air hockey table. It would make light work of your concrete KB and it rolls and swivels so well it does not feel bulky at all DFB

So it's a really expensive chair - but it's like Sun Joe vs Kranzle or one of those drill attachment foam pads vs a Rupes. I also get more use out of it than my pressure washer or my polisher - but I cant seem to polish or pressure wash without it

https://www.vyperindustrial.com/ - they run $100 off specials pretty frequently

DFB maybe its time one of us influence one of your purchases ;)

1659539650174.png
Dam you!! Now I WANT one!!

Not available for sale in Australia sadly. :frown:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Cam: Those Viper seats look great but six hundred bones is over my limit.
Ha! $600+ is cheap!

Try $1050 in Australian dollars for the one I would have. And that's without shipping or import duties taxed on sales above $1000.00! So, more like $2000 for a fancy chair. I want one, but not that badly. I would rather setup a wall mount pressure washer for that coin.

Good old Australia Tax in full force here! :facepalm:

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
KB: watch for deals. IMO itโ€™s worth it at 450 or less. 600 is excessive. Mine was right at 400 to my door with a couple upgrades added

DFB: I know it makes no sense financially, but you do need one some day lol

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As a guy with bad knees and a lower back in nearly the same state, I have one of the stools pictured below in both of my garages. Zero complaints for the money other than the height at the lowest setting.

Great, now I'm wondering if I need one of the short ones everyone is raving about for doing wheels. Kneeling on my pit mat gets old some days.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
This is a subject I'm passionate about because I once despised cleaning wheels. It wasn't until I discovered the joys of cleaning wheels seated that I began to enjoy this task! I spend my working life as a gardener crouched down a lot, so my knees tend to get strained a fair bit. Sitting down to clean wheels I find very cathartic.

I started using one of those pneumatic seats sold through discount hardware stores all around the world.

IMG-4973.jpg

jun304.jpg

As you can guess, these are built to a price, so cheap and nasty wheels really let it down. Being tall, I also found it too high, even on the lowest setting.

It's replacement is probably the most common of detailing seats.

dec16.jpg

These are sold all over the world under different names including Adam's, Griots, Maxshine and Economax. Picking which one will come down to cost and availability, although the Griots one does come with a padded seat if that matters.

Adam's Polishes Creeper Detailing Seat With Storage | Compact Creeper (adamspolishes.com)
Compact Sit-On Creeper II (griotsgarage.com)
Maxshine Rolling Sit-On Detailing Creeper โ€” MaxShine (maxshineusa.com)

adc101.jpg
ggcs101.png

While there are better garage stools/seats/creepers, I think the above ones are best suited to detailing. The Vyper Chair is very well regarded, but I think it's just too bulky for detailing, and in most cases, sits you too high for comfortable wheel cleaning. If you look at the design of the above seats, they dip down in the middle allowing you to sit lower.

IMG-0761.jpg

IMG-0238.jpg

dec313.jpg

The storage compartments allow for convenient placing of various tools that get used as I move around the car, including my pressure washer nozzles and wheel guides to prevent hose snagging. And yes, you really do need to have those things!

DETAIL GUARDZ - Car Wash Insert (2 pack) - The Detail Guardz โ€“ The Detail Guardz | Premium Car Care Products USA

IMG-0334.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

There is a high level of joy I get from sitting down and cleaning my wheels. It's generally at the end of the week, after all the loose ends have been dealt with and I have nowhere else to be but sitting on that seat. Almost like a massive sigh of relief.
I wished you lived next door. You could detail my car whenever you feel like it. You dont even have to ask. Just have fun and detail away. :giggle:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
KB: watch for deals. IMO itโ€™s worth it at 450 or less. 600 is excessive. Mine was right at 400 to my door with a couple upgrades added

DFB: I know it makes no sense financially, but you do need one some day lol
I see Vyper have registered social media accounts for Australia, so no doubt they will arrive eventually..................at heavily inflated prices. ๐Ÿ˜ 

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I wished you lived next door. You could detail my car whenever you feel like it. You dont even have to ask. Just have fun and detail away. :giggle:
I wished you lived next door as well!

All my neighbors have boring Corolla's, Subaru's and Honda's. And all the customer cars I do are similar. I do have a Bentley Continental GT on the cards at some point though!

cgt.jpg

LouerDob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robs
Vehicle(s)
bmw m5
I totally get what you mean about finding joy in cleaning wheels while seated! It can be quite therapeutic. ๐Ÿ˜„
I've used one of those pneumatic seats for gardening tasks as well, and they are indeed comfy. Thanks for sharing your experience and the different brands available. It's always great to have options that cater to different budgets and preferences.
By the way, I'm in the middle of renovating my house, including the patio area, and can see here some options for outdoor furniture or any renovation tips.
Sponsored