Detailing questions

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have dried water spots on both windows, Front windshield and read as well. Besides a polishing pad, how can I remove them? I’ve washed the car many times but they’re still there. Any tips?
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I have dried water spots on both windows, Front windshield and read as well. Besides a polishing pad, how can I remove them? I’ve washed the car many times but they’re still there. Any tips?
This works great for me

Invisible Glass 99031 Reach and Clean Tool Combo Kit with Windshield Wand Cleaning Tool for Those Hard-to-Reach Places and Invisible Glass Premium Glass and Window Cleaner for Auto and Home , Yellow https://a.co/d/0FzyJpI

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I have dried water spots on both windows
@DFB5.0 could assist with product insight and technique.

OP: I did find some previous posts, but I did not want to conflict with more recent information. In the mean time, could you post one or two pictures? Thanks.

Last edited:

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Invisible glass with a microfiber works for me

Sponsored

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
anyone saying invisible glass works with microfiber isn't talking about hard water spots/calcium deposits so ignore them.

this plus a buffing pad on a drill or buffer (doing it by hand doesn't work)
this is the simplest most effective way to remove water spots from glass.

1679672016177.png

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
anyone saying invisible glass works with microfiber isn't talking about hard water spots/calcium deposits so ignore them.

this plus a buffing pad on a drill or buffer (doing it by hand doesn't work)
this is the simplest most effective way to remove water spots from glass.

1679672016177.png
8ft

Unless your skilled with buffing using a drill your likely to leave circular marks on the glass where you drill with pad if it's really bugging you have professional detailer come to your house and buff them out
Id try vinegar or invisible glass first
I've never had a stain not come out.but my water isn't hard

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
8ft

Unless your skilled with buffing using a drill your likely to leave circular marks on the glass where you drill with pad if it's really bugging you have professional detailer come to your house and buff them out
Id try vinegar or invisible glass first
I've never had a stain not come out.but my water isn't hard
then you haven't dealt with actual hard water spots.

keep the glass wet and you can't damage it.

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
This is old school probably and I’m sure there’s better stuff out there now but I’ve used duragloss in the past and got some really nasty spots out with it I’ve always used it by hand never with a machine

Sponsored

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Carpro Spotless. A little goes a long way

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Water spots, either on glass or paint, are caused by mineral etchings. Sometimes, these deposits can be removed easily, sometimes they can be a nightmare. The best thing to do is attend to the problem as soon as possible to prevent further and more extensive damage.

For both paint and glass, the first step is the neutralize the chemical reaction. For mineral etchings/water spots, you need an acidic based product. This doesn't mean applying hydrochloric acid to your car. You can specifically designed water spot removers, these are acidic products that work to counteract and remove the minerals that have caused the issue. Think Carpro Spotless or Gyeon Water Spot Remover. Alternatively, use a 50/50 blend of white vinegar and demineralized water.

The above products, especially when used as soon as possible, will remove these water spots quite easily. However, sometimes you may need to progress to polishing.

Now, in response to comments earlier, polishing glass is different to polishing paint and is extremely hard. That hardness means it's harder to scratch, but also harder to "correct". The only thing you need to mindful of when polishing glass is to manage heat, keep the pad moving and don't focusing on one spot and you will be fine.

To remove water spots, use a mid to heavy cutting pad with medium level compound. Sonax Perfect Finish or Cutmax would be suitable on a Lake Country Blue or Rupes Yellow pad. I have also been using P&S Clarity Creme on glass recently with great results.

Start with the chemical method first, progress to polishing if required. Either way, you should have this sorted in short order.
Sponsored