Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The BBQ Tick is not from a lack of oil flow & pressure for 1~2 seconds after an oil change. Guys who have the BBQ Tick hear it months after an oil change.

And oil typically gets thinner with use due to shearing and from fuel dilution. The only time oil gets thicker with use is if the volatility is high (Noack value is high) and it out runs the shearing and fuel dilution through "evaporation". Almost ever UOA I've ever seen shows the oil has thinned down with use - ie, the KV100 viscosity is less than the new oil value.

Go download the Australian owner's manual off of Ford's website. The Australian 2018 Mustangs call for 5W30 all the time. Lots of guys run 5W30 in the USA, and some guys still hear the BBQ Tick with the thicker oil.
I wonder what's exactly causing the tick.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
main bearings

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello from Europe,
My 2018GT has the same Sound . I also went to the dealer here in Berlin Germany and we started a brand new GT and it had the same noise. I also think, that it meight be normal. We decided that i will drive a month and watch if it changes.

in the last time i searched the net for unusual sounds of V8 engines. and for the BBQ tick. funny Story: even the diesel engines from Ford have the tick. they call it there the typewriter tick 6.7 powerstroke.
it sounds similar to the bbq tick and the rattling in low reps and it started for many of them after the first oil Change.

here is a link to the Service Bulletin for thouse of you who are interested in. as far as I understand Ford says , that it is a normal Sound.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagno...e-ticktap-tsb/

here is a vid. with the Sound and it is just like my Sound.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/HgMGNM-aeFk?start=

cheers from Berlin Germany

Last edited:

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
With the gas pedal to the floor only the fuel injectors are cut ... not the spark. It still needs spark to fire up the engine with the pedal to the floor as cranking clears the flooded cylinders....

Maybe it cuts fuel, maybe it cuts spark, maybe it cuts both or maybe it cuts neither. I've had Japanese cars that cut both...the jury is still out on the Mustang.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
The BBQ Tick is not from a lack of oil flow & pressure for 1~2 seconds after an oil change. Guys who have the BBQ Tick hear it months after an oil change.

And oil typically gets thinner with use due to shearing and from fuel dilution. The only time oil gets thicker with use is if the volatility is high (Noack value is high) and it out runs the shearing and fuel dilution through "evaporation". Almost ever UOA I've ever seen shows the oil has thinned down with use - ie, the KV100 viscosity is less than the new oil value.

Go download the Australian owner's manual off of Ford's website. The Australian 2018 Mustangs call for 5W30 all the time. Lots of guys run 5W30 in the USA, and some guys still hear the BBQ Tick with the thicker oil.

There are quite a few here who get the tick IMMEDIATELY after an oil change, so we were starting with what happened since the car was tick-free.....and that was the drain/refill with fresh oil.

Re: Australian Mustangs with the tick (who all use 5W-30 oil). We have 18,000 6th Generation Mustangs here.....and only one owner has reported an engine tick on this forum. Make of that what you will.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Re: Australian Mustangs with the tick (who all use 5W-30 oil). We have 18,000 6th Generation Mustangs here.....and only one owner has reported an engine tick on this forum. Make of that what you will.
My point was there have been more than one guy on this forum who had the BBQ Tick and tried 5W30 instead of 5W20 and the tick was still there. It doesn't seem to be cured by using a thicker oil. And if it was oil viscosity related, the engines that have it would be quiet with a cold start-up and then start ticking more as the oil got hot and thinned down, but seems the engines that have it do it regardless of engine temperature.

If this was such an easy thing to figure out, the real cause would have been figured out a long time ago by Ford and by members here.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
How do I prefill an oil filter that is installed sideways? When I do my oil change I'll try the pedal to the floor trick.

You can't fill it up 100%. Put oil in the filter and let it absorb into the media, and keep adding a little oil at a time until it's close the top when tilted 45 degrees like when it's mounted to the engine. That's as good as you can do.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....When I do my oil change I'll try the pedal to the floor trick.

I would not do the pedal-to-the-floor test after an oil change......until I was certain it cut's ignition and or fuel first. The last thing you want to happen is a full throttle start with a semi-primed oil system.

With the car warm after a drive, shut it down and attempt a start with the pedal to the floor.....then let us know how you go :).

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Well, I figure I should bump this thread and get some opinions on what I am hearing tonight.

I'd like to preface this post with the statement that I had heard some of the earlier videos a while ago with obnoxious random rattling at idle and figured if I was listening for BBQ tick, I'd be listening for that.

Earlier this year when spring hit and I got the car out for the first time, I heard a very light rhythmic sound coming from the passenger side that I didn't not remember hearing before. I didn't really pay much mind to it at the time.

Every so often when I'd be in a drive thru or next to a wall, I'd hear that noise ever so slightly. Haven't thought much of it, car runs/drives fine and doesn't burn any oil. I'm used to very mechanical sounding engines like the eaton blower on my marauder or the vanos system on my m5.

Since I'm always paranoid and trying to find issues that may or may not exist with my car (I have been dealing with the driveline vibe since day 1), I started researching the BBQ tick again and decided to go have a listen to my car while it was cold and sitting for a couple days.

Now, I'm no engineer, but while the drivers side of the car is totally quiet, when I move the camera over to the passenger side and bump the throttle between 1-2000rpm, I can hear random ticks at time and it sure as hell sounds like the early stages of BBQ tick. I've NEVER heard this before, but yet again I've never been looking for it to this extent so I can see how I'd have missed it.

The car has 11,9xx miles on it, I had the oil changed roughly 900 miles ago I believe, pretty much when it got warm out I took the car in for an oil change since it was parked all winter (this car is stored during the winter months).

I'm just looking for some validation that I'm correct in thinking this is BBQ tick before I ring up my dealer and have them take a listen and tell me everything is normal.

I apologize that this video is a little long, just wanted to be thorough. At one point I move the camera from the side of the car to totally under the car and you can really hear the noises then.

[ame]

Just to note: Since the car was new I always had the oil changed at the dealer. I believe I've been in for 3 now. The car has no powertrain mods, the only mod that went near the engine was the JLT catch can.

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
Mine sounds like this now. Can this still be called as bbq tick?
It started as normal bbq tick and now this under certain conditions (oil temp and cold start rev). Still not doing it when the oil temp is at the middle. I dont need to be next to a wall to hear it when driving.in 2nd gear 1300-1800rpm easily can be heard inside.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
gonna need a new lower end soon

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Man, 2011 all over again...

Back with the S197’s there were some ticking issues that were found to be related to the bearings not breaking in properly. This was with the very first Coyotes (2011). That’s where the XL-117 stuff came in. From what I remember, it was some kind of high-concentration graphite mixture. The stuff was only around for a short period of time as it was more of a bandaid. The late 2011’s were rectified.

Another early 2011 tick issue was the AC stretchy belt. It caused a “snap” or “tick” noise. The belts were revised for late 2011.

Then there was the tick issue from pre-maturely worn timing chain guides and/or timing chain tensioner. This was recified somewhere in 2012.

Outside of that, it was either “normal” or a bad lash adjuster(s).

My 2012 GT developed a minor tick at the engine passenger side, rear (either cylinder 3 or 4) after I changed the cars oil at 1,000 miles. In my case, I noticed going to a 5w-30 made a small impact on decreasing the noise; nothing substantial at all though. As I did more track days with the car, I switched to 0w-40 Mobil 1 FS (Euro). This seemed to make a more significant impact in decreasing the noise, but would come back to “normal” as the oil became used. I eventually started adding something like 1/4-1/2 bottle of Redline breaking oil to every oil change. That decreased the noise to a point nearly gone; the noise would get louder as the oil became more used, but the change was less than without the breaking oil - it seemed to also stabilize/prolong the oil’s hydrodynamic film.

I had the car for 40k+ miles of all kinds of driving. No issue with the engine ever. The current owner is still on that same engine. It probably has 70k+ miles on it.

That car’s engine noise was nowhere as loud as some of the videos in this thread.
Sponsored