Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...I fill the filter as much as I can, which helps a bit to get oil pressure a hair sooner.....
Oil pressure really doesn't prevent metal-to-metal contact, it's the oil film that does the protection. Oil pressure just means that oil is flowing and getting there. Should be well enough residual oil film on all parts to protect them for a few revolutions until oil pressure builds up and fresh oil gets there.....

Can't have it both ways, mate. You either believe getting oil pressure early is a good thing, or you don't. You are pre-filling the filter to get early oil pressure, then telling me it's not important because there is film on everything. Whatever.

Assuming the fuel injection and spark are cut when the accelerator is floored prior to engine start, it's costs nothing to hold the pedal to the floor after an oil change to build up oil pressure.....and that can only be a good thing in my eyes.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Can't have it both ways, mate. You either believe getting oil pressure early is a good thing, or you don't. You are pre-filling the filter to get early oil pressure, then telling me it's not important because there is film on everything. Whatever.

Assuming the fuel injection and spark are cut when the accelerator is floored prior to engine start, it's costs nothing to hold the pedal to the floor after an oil change to build up oil pressure.....and that can only be a good thing in my eyes.
Oil film strength is in the 90,000psi range where oil pressure at most on cold start is 90psi. 90psi is not gonna support any kind of load.
Bottom line is Ford is not some kind of exotic car that require special treatment. If pre-fill is necessary, it would be in the service manual. Millions of oil changes happen everyday without pre-fill and you never hear engine damage due to oil pump filling up the oil filter.
Maybe on certain engines like a big rig diesel that takes forever to fill the filter because of their filter size, the Coyote V8 fills the filter so fast it doesn't even register on the oil pressure sensor.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Like I said ... do what makes you feel good, and I'll do the same. I'm not having it "both ways", but rather my way and I feel good about it. ;)

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
You engine won't damage because of less than 1 second (even that) without oil pressure.
When I change oil and not fill the filter, the oil pressure came back on right away.
Who said anything about damage? Just that the lash adjusters lose their oil built up. And it's more than 1 second... Any of you guys ever started a car that has been sitting for months in transport? They sound like they are about to explode. Takes many miles to get them to quite down.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Who said anything about damage? Just that the lash adjusters lose their oil built up. And it's more than 1 second... Any of you guys ever started a car that has been sitting for months in transport? They sound like they are about to explode. Takes many miles to get them to quite down.
Just changed my oil today. Didn't even pre fill. Started engine oil pressure came up less than 1 second. Engine sounds normal no tick what so ever.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

FYI ... The BBQ Tick isn't from lash adjusters, it sounds like it's down low in the engine, not on top of the heads.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Can someone please confirm whether or not the Mustang has wide-open-throttle start protection (no start with pedal to the floor)?

Free donut on me.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
^^^That looks like a badly worded de-flooding procedure that's missing a step:

3a. Crank for ten seconds, then release the accelerator pedal.

4. Start the engine.

As it's written, that instruction suggests the car WILL start with the pedal at the floor.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^That looks like a badly worded de-flooding procedure that's missing a step:

3a. Crank for ten seconds, then release the accelerator pedal.

4. Start the engine.

As it's written, that instruction suggests the car WILL start with the pedal at the floor.

If the engine is flooded, holding the gas pedal to the floor will cut the fuel injection, and the engine probably will start because there's all kinds of residual fuel in the cylinders.

But if you push the gas pedal to the floor when the engine isn't flooded to start with, then it's not going to start without any fuel going in. That's how the 'de-flooding' operation works on fuel injected engines.

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
If the engine is flooded, holding the gas pedal to the floor will cut the fuel injection, and the engine probably will start because there's all kinds of residual fuel in the cylinders.

But if you push the gas pedal to the floor when the engine isn't flooded to start with, then it's not going to start without any fuel going in. That's how the 'de-flooding' operation works on fuel injected engines.

Thank you for stating how de-flooding procedures work after I posted about how de-flooding procedures work.

This is why I said it's like a badly written de-flooding procedure. If indeed the Mustang cuts the fuel injection as I expect it will, then it WON'T START BECAUSE YOUR PEDAL IS STILL AT THE FLOOR.

My guess is that the Mustang will cut fuel and spark with the pedal at the floor during cranking, but no-one has gone out to their car and tried it to confirm. You got me halfway there, so here's half a Krispy Kreme.

original-glaze-sidehalf_1.jpg

Back to ticking after oil changes. We've discussed leakdown as a possible cause and priming filters and/or building oil pressure before starting as a solution. Another possible cause of the ticking could be the new oil viscosity. Oil thickens with age in an engine, so the new oil will be thinner (even if it is the same spec oil).

Ford recommend a thicker 5w-30 spec oil be used when the car is used on the track. How many here use 5w-30 all the time and if you do, have you experienced the tick?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess is that the Mustang will cut fuel and spark with the pedal at the floor during cranking, but no-one has gone out to their car and tried it to confirm. You got me halfway there, so here's half a Krispy Kreme.
With the gas pedal to the floor only the fuel injectors are cut ... not the spark. It still needs spark to fire up the engine with the pedal to the floor as cranking clears the flooded cylinders.

Therefore, only when the engine is flooded the engine "de-floods" and starts up with the gas pedal to the floor. Putting the gas pedal to the floor stops more fuel from entering the cylinder, but if the engine isn't flooded it won't start because there's no fuel in the cylinders. That's what I was clarifying with my previous post. ;)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer said the my engine rattle is normal so I'll be doing my first oil change soon. Then I'll report if I get the BBQ tick.

I'll be going 5w30 since I sit in heavy street traffic everyday. The cylinder head temp hits 215° daily. For winter I'll switch back to 5w20.
No reason to switch to 5W20 for the "winter" in California. Run 5W30 all year long.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back to ticking after oil changes. We've discussed leakdown as a possible cause and priming filters and/or building oil pressure before starting as a solution. Another possible cause of the ticking could be the new oil viscosity. Oil thickens with age in an engine, so the new oil will be thinner (even if it is the same spec oil).
The BBQ Tick is not from a lack of oil flow & pressure for 1~2 seconds after an oil change. Guys who have the BBQ Tick hear it months after an oil change.

And oil typically gets thinner with use due to shearing and from fuel dilution. The only time oil gets thicker with use is if the volatility is high (Noack value is high) and it out runs the shearing and fuel dilution through "evaporation". Almost ever UOA I've ever seen shows the oil has thinned down with use - ie, the KV100 viscosity is less than the new oil value.
Ford recommend a thicker 5w-30 spec oil be used when the car is used on the track. How many here use 5w-30 all the time and if you do, have you experienced the tick?
Go download the Australian owner's manual off of Ford's website. The Australian 2018 Mustangs call for 5W30 all the time. Lots of guys run 5W30 in the USA, and some guys still hear the BBQ Tick with the thicker oil.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It might've hit 45° once or twice last winter. Actually it was like 65° for most of the winter lol. I'll be doing good ol' motorcraft semi synthetic too. No need to get fancy with the oil.

5W30 is good for down to at least -20 deg F start-ups. Go look for (Google) recommended viscosity vs ambient temperature charts and you'll see.
Sponsored