Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Seems to be a crapshoot with the BBQ tick. I've heard of people getting the tick when using Motorcraft as well.

I switched to full synthetic at 9k miles, I'm currently at 13.5k and I haven't experienced any ticking yet.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think I started getting the ticking after i switched to a different oil. My car was just fine for the first 2-3 oil changes with Motorcraft 5-20.
I've been running full synthetic for the last 3 oil changes and i got the ticking every time.
Would it be bad to switch back to Motorcraft?
Switch away. Nothing will cause issue.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well, take a listen;

[ame]

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Well, take a listen;

The BBQ tick seems to be a slower tick that's more noticeable at idle. Your tick seems to be the most noticeable while revving. It honestly sounds more like what some of the 18s are experiencing.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They're waiting on the hotline to see what Ford tells them to do. I might find out more information tomorrow or Monday.
Is that for the flywheel/clutch grind, engine rattle or both? At least they are taking a look at it. My impression was that they told you it was all normal and just sent you on your way.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'll bet you couldn't care less.
Weird comment.

Anyways, it's gone. It was loud right after I changed the oil, and I didn't hear it at all driving home yesterday, and I was listening for it.

Very strange.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I finally got it at 20K miles after changing my oil. I've been using Mobil 1 EP with the FL-500S filter since the beginning. OCI every 5k.

Seems to be more noticeable the day of and tapers off after that. Every once in a while I'll drive by another car with my windows down and maybe hear it but I could also be insane.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I've lurked this and the other threads like it for a while... All the chatter about switching oils and filters blah blah blah. I'm convinced 99% of this is HOW the oil is changed. IE: filling the new filter with clean oil. I'd bet $100 no oil change places, or dealer techs do this. And then the resulting tick comes after an oil change, then slowly fades away. Then the lash adjusters(not lifters you old school numpties) are starved of oil for a few seconds.

Add icing on this cake by throwing in modern fuel injectors which are quite noisy on their own, and thin wall "headers" that are also noisy, and the final ingredient being paranoid owners who heard about someone else have this problem and the recipe is a mess.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....I'm convinced 99% of this is HOW the oil is changed. IE: filling the new filter with clean oil. I'd bet $100 no oil change places, or dealer techs do this. And then the resulting tick comes after an oil change, then slowly fades away.....
A number of the fuel injected cars I've owned kill the ignition/fuel if the engine is cranked while the accelerator is held flat to the floor. After an oil change, I use this feature to crank the engine and build oil pressure before lifting my foot and allowing the engine to start.

I'm assuming the Mustang has the same flat-to-the-floor protection logic. Can anyone confirm? I don't own one, I'm an enthusiastic observer at this stage :).

I realize most owners are not doing their own oil changes and I wouldn't expect the dealer techs to follow this procedure without direction, but it's food for thought.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You engine won't damage because of less than 1 second (even that) without oil pressure.
When I change oil and not fill the filter, the oil pressure came back on right away.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
You engine won't damage because of less than 1 second (even that) without oil pressure....
Hey, every little bit helps. What have you got to lose by building oil pressure before the first cylinder fires?

Anyway, this is more about trying to stop the tick following oil changes.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hey, every little bit helps. What have you got to lose by building oil pressure before the first cylinder fires?

Anyway, this is more about trying to stop the tick following oil changes.

The pump is positive displacement, so it will take the same number of engine revolutions to build oil pressure either by cranking with the pedal to the floor or just by starting the engine. Doubt either way is better than the other. I fill the filter as much as I can, which helps a bit to get oil pressure a hair sooner.

The best way would to pressurize the oiling system with the engine not turning ... but you'd need an "pre-lubing" system for that.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
The pump is positive displacement, so it will take the same number of engine revolutions to build oil pressure either by cranking with the pedal to the floor or just by starting the engine. Doubt either way is better than the other....
There is a lot more pressure on the big and small end bearings when the engine is running. Some members here have had bearing failure diagnosed by their dealers.

My way of building oil pressure (if it works on the Mustang), is cheap insurance.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There is a lot more pressure on the big and small end bearings when the engine is running. Some members here have had bearing failure diagnosed by their dealers.

Oil pressure really doesn't prevent metal-to-metal contact, it's the oil film that does the protection. Oil pressure just means that oil is flowing and getting there. Should be well enough residual oil film on all parts to protect them for a few revolutions until oil pressure builds up and fresh oil gets there. Not much more pressure on those big and small end bearings unless you're starting the engine under fully loaded WOT conditions. But if it makes you feel better then by all means do it, it won't hurt anything except put a bit more run time on the starter. ;)

If engines were blowing up from starting them up and taking 3 seconds to build up oil pressure then you wouldn't see tons of 200,000+ miles cars running around. And if the BBQ Tick was caused by lack of oil, it would always go away 5 seconds after start-up, but it doesn't. Lots of guys have a BBQ Tick that goes on all the time, well after an oil change.
Sponsored

Last edited: