Sponsored

Base or Premium GT

Which 2017 Ford Mustang GT would you buy?

• Base

Votes: 67 29.6%
  • Premium

Votes: 159 70.4%

• Total voters

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
While having limited packages and a lot of 'fluff' in the packages might not look appealing, it's probably the main reason why the Mustang is still affordable. If you look at the Camaro's build&price, you can check just about any option you want with little inheritance to the particular package you have. Then it becomes a $60,000 Camaro.
Good point, makes sense. and BTW nice jeep. I have a 2004 limited with the high output 4.7 and quadradrive. love it.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Good point, makes sense. and BTW nice jeep. I have a 2004 limited with the high output 4.7 and quadradrive. love it.
I love my WJ for all its faults. But, I have a feeling the progressive coupler in the transfer case is shot, so my Quadradrive isn't really doing anything. :mad:

It's supposed to be a great TCS when it works, but apparently it isn't the most robust thing around, I don't know how the jeep was maintained in its earlier life so I am sure suffered as a result.

In the year and 2 months that I've owned it I've: replaced all fluids sans transmission, driver's side ball joints, new radiator (old one blew on the way home from work), new rad hoses, new PS cooler (punctured old one when doing radiator job), new bilstein 4600 shocks (stock ones had seized nuts and rotten bushings), swapped from Teves front calipers to Akebonos, 5 new tires, replaced a non-matching spare wheel, replaced transfer case snap ring access plug (leaked onto rear DS), air filter, added cabin filter + housing, fixed broken heated seat wires, re-attached rain sensing module, replaced busted dash speakers. Then the fun stuff: front tow hooks, roof rack, LED surround lighting with hidden switches.

I only paid $1,500 for the Jeep, but I think I am about there in added/replaced parts. Haha. My next chore is 4 u-joints and new valve cover gaskets to fix a leak.

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
I love my WJ for all its faults. But, I have a feeling the progressive coupler in the transfer case is shot, so my Quadradrive isn't really doing anything. :mad:

It's supposed to be a great TCS when it works, but apparently it isn't the most robust thing around, I don't know how the jeep was maintained in its earlier life so I am sure suffered as a result.
Yeah the NV247 is a good case if it is maintained, I think Chrysler Recommended 30k regular use and 15k miles severe use intervals. most people just change the engine oil and never touch the axles and transfer case. I have had mine since 80k miles and change the fluid once a year. It has 160k on it now. I think If you put it in 4 low it will still lock the front and rear together even if the coupling is gone. would get you by in an emergency.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
What comes standard with premum
1. Drive Modes I have a brain and control how the car responds with it.
2. Heated and cooled front seats Cloth Recaros never get too hot and never feel cold. win win and they grip better for aggressive driving. another win
3. Leather trimmed front buckets. Cloth recaros ftw
4. Dual zone AC base GT temp controls are a simple dial as are fan controls. never had an easier climate control setup without having to push or hold buttons to change temps. base is amazing. and F&^* the passenger. dual zone = more weight and complexity when something goes wrong.
5.AM/FM stereo with single CD player and 9 speakers with amplifier
6. SiriusXM® Radio
7. Sync 3. COvers the last 3.. base stereo is great add a powered sub in the trunk and it sounds fantastic. iPhone is all I need.
8. Ambient lighting My daughter is 7 and likes my little pony. not for me
9. Bright door speaker, cup holder, air vent and instrument cluster surrounds my 7 year old might like it. For me the Mustang GT is a pony car, a performance car not a rolling disco light show.
10. Illuminated sill plates more light :doh:
11. Universal Garage Door Opener seriously
12. Mirrors - body-color, heated with integrated blind spot mirrors and turn signal indicators Didn't need signals on mirrors for 25 years so I don't need them now. more stuff to go wrong. Base GT pp are body color and have the retired person blind spot corners.
13. Pony projection lights LMFAO :lol:
14. Rear diffuserProbably the only thing that I would have wanted because its easier to upgrade. In fact I think a dark colored base rear bumper from some angles looks better than the plastic trim around the bottom (side view). but only on dark colors.

I got a base GT pp with recaros. Amazing car. I daily it through the winter too. 2 kids seats in the back. Its lighter, less complex with less wiring and electronics and gimmicks. SPent 15k on aftermarket mods, suspension,, intake tune, coilovers, wheels/tires exchaust etc. Still cheaper than many Premiums off the lot. :first:

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I too have a base with PP and recaros only. I wanted a performance car, not a luxo wagon. I get that some people want more creature comforts and toys, but I wanted as light a car as possible and most options add weight. For me, the standard equipment in the base is fine, though I wish rear seat delete was an option since it is totally useless to me. To each his own though.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I've owned 3 Premium GT's and I my next will be a Premium.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
The projector pony is standard on all premium models. Everyone is just going to tell u to get what they have. What is it that you want?

The leather seats look nice but are not as comfortable. Cloth seats are never cold and never hot. Also the leather in my 2015 had a butt print in it by 10k miles and I only weigh 195
You're fat. Ok, unless you're 6'3" or greater:
BMI-chart.jpg

Dual zone automatic climate control. Nuff said.
.... and cooled seats.

I bought a base PP GT then swapped the cloth covers for OEM leather ones. While I am pretty happy with the car, if I had to do it over again, I would have forgone the PP and opted for premium. I had a premium 14 S197 and miss some of the bells and whistles. Oh and I would not have gotten black. Looks great until you actually drive it a mile down the road. I would have gone with for Oxford White or Race Red.
Someone who's had both.

I knew the Premium was worth every penny when I took it for a ride in the hot August weather and the AC in the perforated leather seats cooled my balls. OMG that was the best feeling ever.

I like all the others features as well :)
Yeah, I miss that. But the leather Recaro's sure are pretty.

In hindsight, I think I wish I had the leather seats with A/C on my balls.
I think its more useful, than the pretty snug feeling of the Recaros.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What comes standard with premum
1. Drive Modes
2. Heated and cooled front seats
3. Leather trimmed front buckets.
4. Dual zone AC
5.AM/FM stereo with single CD player and 9 speakers with amplifier
6. SiriusXM® Radio
7. Sync 3.
8. Ambient lighting
9. Bright door speaker, cup holder, air vent and instrument cluster surrounds
10. Illuminated sill plates
11. Universal Garage Door Opener
12. Mirrors - body-color, heated with integrated blind spot mirrors and turn signal indicators
13. Pony projection lights
14. Rear diffuser
Leather seats.
Better stereo.
And fluff.

Not worth ~$4k to me.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
Haha, someone's a little salty. Just to put more salt on ya, it's a lot cheaper for me to upgrade my power plant than it is for you to get premium features in your base model.
I'm not the person you were talking to, but that isn't true at all. I've got a base '16 GT and the only thing the premium had that I wanted was the touchscreen, which I upgraded for less than $600 in my car.

I don't like leather seats, but if I did I could put some in for around $800. The speaker's aren't that great in the base version and I'll be upgrading them to match the IDQ12 in my trunk, but I'd still be upgrading my speakers even if I had a premium so that doesn't matter to me. Everything else you get as part of the premium package is basically fluff, I don't care about or notice a lack of things like puddle lamps under the side mirrors lol.

I took the cash I would have spent on getting the premium package and instead got a huge chunk of the parts listed in my signature.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I guess it just really depends.

I was looking at a 2017 GT PP Premium. Test drove it, liked it but felt like it was completely not necessary for my needs. My daily driver has heated/cooled seats, nav & comforts. After already knowing the Mustang was a bit heavy I prefered to have the least amount of weight as is. So I asked if they could find the same car in white without the leather, etc. I felt like it was money well saved for me.

The only thing I wouldn't mind having from the premium is the rear bumper so I could go quad but you should be able to get an OEM premium bumper and painted for around $800 so it's not really that bad of a mod. I might do it later.

My WRX was limited with all the xtra packages and I never used most of the shit and regretted even spending the money on it.

Now if you are buying slightly used, premium all day because the original owner already took the hit on that.

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I got a base 16 GT PP for mid 32k included taxes, tags, title.

Added Katzkin two tone leather with contrast stitching and Piping for $680.
Added a $300 Tomtop Touchscreen/Sat Nav system.

Not really sure I'm missing much else from the Premium trim that I thought useful.

So instead with the money saved I have purchased:
Heads up Display. ($50)
Dashcam. ($100)
MRT H-Pipe ($220)
BBK Varitune Axleback ($500)
Steeda Clutch assist spring.

A weekends worth of work to install it all. (still need to install the door inserts).

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Go Premium

So here is another poll for you guys and gals. Purchase a Base GT Performance Package and buy leather take offs on eBay or go for the Premium? The only other option I would get on the Premium is the 401A (Projector Pony is pretty cool)
If you are looking to mod the car, go premium. I bought a base because I didn't actually want leather (too hot around here). But I didn't learn until after the fact about the rear bumper and a few other odds and ends that the premium gets over the base.

My old car had heated seats, and the few weeks of winter we get that would have been nice, but now I am really curious about the AC seats...

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
It's 2017, no reason to deprive yourself of premium features anymore. Unless you are seriously chasing ounces or trying to buy a brand new car on a budget. The smell of the leather seats in the Premiere trim Premium interior is wonderful, and the AC'd seats are awesome in FL heat. It is what it is..the premium options make the car feel a lot more upscale, and almost a pleasure to be in.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If ~$4K is a lot of money, get the base. If it's not, get the Premium.

Having the technology and cool little extra features is awesome. If it wasn't, we would all still have flip phones now.
Sponsored