2016 GT premium or 2023 GT base

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Do you think the 4.09 gears would make enough of a difference?
Actually… yes.. they make a huge difference. Especially if you have a centri.
Sponsored

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Absolutely!! Congrats on finding an ugly s550. First it's black. Black is for Lincoln Town cars. And those 22 rims with rubber band tires are really gross. 😀
Actually I have shadow black and I love it. Awesome color that goes great with my racing stripe. Look at my profile and you can see.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I have a '21 GT Base manual with 301A and love it. I'd say go for that.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
If you plan to keep the car stock or near stock, the OBVIOUS answer is Get 3 18+. The gen 3 motor is a fookin absolute gem of an engine. Vs Get 2 it has larger diameter head studs (further prevents blowing head gaskets), higher flowing cast runners in the heads, higher lift cams, stronger block, better cooling, dual fuel, larger valves, more compression, bigger bore; the list is long.

A/C problems are all but gone on this gen 3 also. The 10 speed auto turns this car into an overachiever in stock or near stock form.

How many N/A vehicles in the $40k price range do you know that will run 130mph in the quarter with truly only bolt-on mods?

Now... if you plan on boost and 900-ish horsepower or more -- I'd go Gen 2 with the 6r80. The platform is proven to take colossal amounts of abuse, especially the trans.
I thought the gen 3 had the larger head studs? I could be wrong though.

Edit: I just checked Gen 2 had 11mm studs vs Gen 3 with 12mm studs.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
I thought the gen 3 had the larger head studs? I could be wrong though.

Edit: I just checked Gen 2 had 11mm studs vs Gen 3 with 12mm studs.
That's exactly what he meant in his post. "Gen 3 vs a gen 2 has larger head studs" means the gen 3 has larger head studs in this sentence. He just has weird punctuation and spelling

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
That's exactly what he meant in his post. "Gen 3 vs a gen 2 has larger head studs" means the gen 3 has larger head studs in this sentence. He just has weird punctuation and spelling
My bad! I just saw that now!

OP
OP

row-n-go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 6.2
Thanks for all of the input.

Well I called 3 dealerships near me and asked when was the cut off date to order a 23 301A. I was told it already passed. They gladly offered to order a 24. I told them no, I would buy a used gen 3 even if they were the same price. I called ford and was told not all dealers have the same cutoff date. High volume dealers get the last ones of the current model year. I may not get the color I wanted relying on a dealer transfer. Im on vacation and will start making phone calls next week.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Well I called 3 dealerships near me and asked when was the cut off date to order a 23 301A. I was told it already passed. They gladly offered to order a 24. I told them no, I would buy a used gen 3 even if they were the same price. I called ford and was told not all dealers have the same cutoff date. High volume dealers get the last ones of the current model year. I may not get the color I wanted relying on a dealer transfer. Im on vacation and will start making phone calls next week.
Order books are closed for 2023 for ALL dealers, 2024’s are rolling off the lines now. Do a nationwide search on CarGurus, Cars dot com etc and I believe Ford’s website will still show 2023 inventory based on selections you make as well. Definitely call around, there’s still new inventory out there if you’re not too picky as far as color, options, etc. 301A seems to be an option most dealers select for non-premium cars so you should be able to find one. Happy hunting!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

There’s probably a few THOUSAND of 22-23’s out there that are new/like new with low low mileage and remainder of warranty or CPO warranties. Not to mention you’d spend $3500-$7000 less vs. buying “New”. Not to mention reduced sales tax, higher registration costs etc etc etc. The overlooked costs of buying “New” are often ignored. I bought new ONCE in 2012…. Never again. I’ve owned about 30-32 vehicles since I was 16. All of them were used except the new one in 2012. I NEVER regretted buying used.

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
The 2018 to 2021 if auto and pp1 I read is like the 3rd or 4th fastest stock mustang ever. 22 lose 10 Hp..ticking in mustangs has been around for a decade + now if engines were really just blowing up there would be a lawsuit and tons of videos … all I actually see are scared people listening to every click of there engine for nothing. Just my .02 cents …

Last edited:

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The 2018 to 2021 if auto and pp1 I read is like the 3rd or 4th fastest stock mustang ever. 22 lose 10 Hp..ticking in mustangs has been around for a decade + now if engines were really just blowing up there would be a lawsuit and tons of videos … all Ivsee are scared people listening to every click of there engine for nothing. Just my .02 cents …
Although the 10hp is just on paper, you’ll never feel it (I drove a 460hp Gen 3 and then a 2022 at 450hp right after and they felt exactly the same). But agreed on the ticking, they all do it some are just more noticeable than others and if they were all blowing up it’d be all over the news

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
It may be on paper but I have had tons of sports cars and the best resale comes to the highest HP, fastest quarter and lowest miles! Now that the HP has dropped our little 4 year window I am hoping will hold up a bit better.

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I’ll give you an example 2007 Corvette had 400 Hp but in 2008 it went to 430 Hp … no one wanted less. In the HP game more is better .. way better!! You don’t want to be the guy with less Hp .. plus buying new has the biggest depreciation. I just purchased a 2020 with 13k miles … I hear a tiny barely recognizable click but with all performance engines you’re going to hear something !

Last edited:

Aks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ak
Vehicle(s)
2023 s550
There’s probably a few THOUSAND of 22-23’s out there that are new/like new with low low mileage and remainder of warranty or CPO warranties. Not to mention you’d spend $3500-$7000 less vs. buying “New”. Not to mention reduced sales tax, higher registration costs etc etc etc. The overlooked costs of buying “New” are often ignored. I bought new ONCE in 2012…. Never again. I’ve owned about 30-32 vehicles since I was 16. All of them were used except the new one in 2012. I NEVER regretted buying used.
Not the best economic sense by you. Let's say new mustang cost few thousand more than used, you get a brand new car with new warranty vs used that could be beat up shit. No thanks to used shoes.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
best resale comes to the highest HP, fastest quarter and lowest miles
Only in the feeble fevered imagination of those who "know what they have". The rest of the sane world cares about leather or color or screens. I doubt they even know it's a mustang or even which generation.
Sponsored