Sponsored

Bad day/ good outcome

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
So, full disclosure. I waited to post this till after warranty covered everything lol.
At a track day end of September I finished my 3rd of 4 sessions and noticed an odd vibration coming from the clutch pedal. 1st thought was throw out bearing must be going bad. My tires were pretty much smoked so I called it a day and headed for home. On the way home the check engine light came on and after the adrenaline had worn off I noticed an odd deep vibration in the shifter as well. Car did not go into any kind of limp mode (not sure if it even has limp mode) but i limped it home nice n easy.
1st thing I did was put fresh rubber on it. You never know if the horror stories about warranties being refused because of track duty are true so why make it obvious right?
Earliest appointment was 19 days out. From there a 10 business day wait to get it in the shop and then they said they would call me and let me know when they could get it fixed. I hate being the "back in my day" old guy but I seriously never thought there would be a shortage of auto mechanics. It's like I'm living in bizzarro world. Any way...
Absolutely no questions about track use. Dealer was amazing. 1st update was that everything was ordered and received and all covered under factory warranty. Great news. Here's the odd part. I wouldn't call myself a master mechanic but I've turned a wrench or two. The official diagnosis was:
The flywheel came loose and part of it broke off. This debris smashed the bell housing and destroyed the clutch, clutch plate (fly wheel was obviously destroyed) cam shaft sensor and rear main seal. WTF!? šŸ˜¦
Again, I'm no master mechanic but I've owned a lot of cars and worked on at least 10 times that many. Ive never seen a flywheel "come loose" on a new car with 14k miles on it. I've also not ever seen a problem in a tremec 6 spd with under 700hp. That doesn't mean it's not real though.
Next track day is Thanksgiving weekend so I'm back on the track and it cost me nothing. That makes me happy. Point for Ford warranty.
I've included the video from my last session. I can't hear anything abnormal.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
this is a symptom of a common issue with the voodoo which is why he didn't even blink or ask about track time. track time wouldn't even cause any flywheel bolts to back out...unless its on an engine notorious for doing exactly that with things that bolt to it due to vibrations.

hopefully they threw some red loctite on those bolts this time :D

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
The dual-mass flywheel came apart (in some unknown way) on the Mule back when it was at FPRS West (Utah) and the resulting vibration actually cracked the engine block. And that, boys and girls, is the story about why the Mule got it's Gen2 engine.

OP
OP
Thor 142

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
I'm totally ditching this car when the warranty is over. I mean, I love the car but I only own it to track it. I barely drive it except for to and from the track. Seems like a time bomb...ā˜¹

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Thatā€™s ridiculous. I get a kick out of posts like this. You have a car, that has a warranty, and you can track it, and its covered. Buy an extended warranty if your worried about. Also, name another car we can buy that offers what the Gt350 or Gt500 offers.

To the op. When I was doing the clutch in my car with the whipple, I thought the flywheel bolts were a little short from the factory considering. Iā€™m pretty sure ARP has a longer set. Fathouse is selling a longer set if not. Maybe get the longer and ask them to use them.

I'm totally ditching this car when the warranty is over. I mean, I love the car but I only own it to track it. I barely drive it except for to and from the track. Seems like a time bomb...ā˜¹

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thor 142

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Thatā€™s ridiculous. I get a kick out of posts like this. You have a car, that has a warranty, and you can track it, and its covered. Buy an extended warranty if your worried about. Also, name another car we can buy that offers what the Gt350 or Gt500 offers.

To the op. When I was doing the clutch in my car with the whipple, I thought the flywheel bolts were a little short from the factory considering. Iā€™m pretty sure ARP has a longer set. Fathouse is selling a longer set if not. Maybe get the longer and ask them to use them.
Right. Im gonna track it till the warranty is up and get something else. Why is that ridiculous? I already gave kudos to Ford for covering it. Hopefully the next major failure is covered just at well. Why keep a car after warranty that is so prone to failures? I think there may be more reliable weekend track cars out there. Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. This car is super fun but it makes me nervous. I tracked my gen 5 1le untill it hit 42k miles and not a single issue.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I was referring to the prone to this, prone to that. I guess it also depends on how hard one is pushing something on track. Iā€™m very surprised and manufacturer would cover anything on a track at all. To me, itā€™s a bonus they do. Just for clarification, thatā€™s 42k miles on a track?

Right. Im gonna track it till the warranty is up and get something else. Why is that ridiculous? I already gave kudos to Ford for covering it. Hopefully the next major failure is covered just at well. Why keep a car after warranty that is so prone to failures? I think there may be more reliable weekend track cars out there. Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. This car is super fun but it makes me nervous. I tracked my gen 5 1le untill it hit 42k miles and not a single issue.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your honest play by play post on your GT350. Yes theres a inherent vibration from the flat plane crank . GM had to work with that problem as well on the new Corvette with one. I enjoyed watching your lap improvements and also saw you catch a Porsche 911 that possibly was twice the cost that you paid for your car. Of note to me was that you duplicated In a straight away a close to money downshift, too early . If Keeping your throttle on deeper . Hard braking, trail braking with a heel and toe . Watching your video you can pick it up. So happy that Ford did warranty the issue but had known about these longer studs ahead of time you couldā€™ve ordered those that have those put in when it was apart and made it more bulletproof. After you sell it Iā€™m sure someone will enjoy this special Mustang.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I was referring to the prone to this, prone to that. I guess it also depends on how hard one is pushing something on track. Iā€™m very surprised and manufacturer would cover anything on a track at all. To me, itā€™s a bonus they do. Just for clarification, thatā€™s 42k miles on a track?
Funny thing is the first people to reply with those comments don't own one, 90% of the time.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It happens.. Search Youtube for GT3 engine failure. There are plenty - BUT understand; the higher end/higher priced cars naturally have fewer people on forums complaning about the repairs - they just send it to the dealer and get it fixed. Also - money people know that it best serves their pocket if they don't advertise failures of a brand they have invested in. Same thinking for owning stocks. We low-life Mustang folk know nothing about this. We perform cancel-culture on a car we own while complaining about losing money on our investments. We have it all figured out.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Get yourself an extended warranty. Ford has no issue offering them, heck they offered me one on my 2017 just last week. The 350 is on a different level that I have yet to attain in regards to track duty. The grip in front far exceeds the Mach 1, GT, or GT500 (Yes I know people will be upset about that last one, but stealing a GT350 front spindle and then not compensating for the extra heft of the GT500 is a flaw that shows up on the track). And the GM's had engine issues too, I've had several friends that had the LT1, and now a ZL1, with engine issues.

The Voodoo has issues, yes. Any car with significate track time will. But I'd rather swap the Voodoo with an FP350s, or swap crank, cams and repin, or hell even throw a tuned Gen III 5.0 in this car before I would make a leap somewhere else.

Glad to hear your Ford Warranty claim went smoothly.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

Yea I totally agree, get a extended warranty. The GT350 is like nothing else on the market.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Some take issue with not wanting to have to deal with big $$ repairs, yet they changed out oem parts.
There is a reason Italian cars with flat plane cranks have the required Costly service they have.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
S
I've included the video from my last session. I can't hear anything abnormal.
Thoughts?
Yeah, thinking why are humpty and dumpty in the black BMW and white Porsche making it so difficult for you to pass them?

Makes me feel so lucky that here we have marshals waving flags and/or traffic-style lights that tell you to let the faster driver behind pass.
Next step: get them to wave to the guys in front of me sometimes, not always to me.
Sponsored