Automatic passenger door unlock

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Morning/Afternoon all,

On the 2018 Mustang GT PP, with keyless entry, should the passenger door unlock automatically, when you walk up to it, with the key on you?

I have noticed that it works fine on the drivers side. But, on the passengers side, it does not seem to work, and one has to use the key to unlock the door.

I am beginning to wonder if this is by design.

Thanks
Ivan
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I know on my 2019 it does. I don't think they changed anything in that regards between the 18's and 19's.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
The passenger door should unlock when you touch the inside of the handle. Assuming that you have the key and you're touching the handle. A passenger can not unlock it if you're on the driver side with the key. The key needs to be within 3 feet of the door you're unlocking for the handle to recognize the signal from the key. If you want the passenger door to unlock when you unlock the driver side, there is a setting you can change. I don't believe there is a way to completely disable the passenger side intelligent access sensor.

Assuming you're meeting the criteria above. I would take it to the dealer for repair if it isn't working.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Morning/Afternoon all,

On the 2018 Mustang GT PP, with keyless entry, should the passenger door unlock automatically, when you walk up to it, with the key on you?

I have noticed that it works fine on the drivers side. But, on the passengers side, it does not seem to work, and one has to use the key to unlock the door.

I am beginning to wonder if this is by design.

Thanks
Ivan
Have you looked into your settings to see if you can change it. My car is stored now and cant say for sure, but I thought I made a settings change to get this to work..... Cant say for sure, but I think so....

I have a 16 BTW.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Wait there's an option to change that when I unlock the drivers side the passengers will unlock too? Can do for base 15 gt?

Sponsored

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
Wait there's an option to change that when I unlock the drivers side the passengers will unlock too? Can do for base 15 gt?
There is a setting in the information display that you can change. It is Vehicle - Locks - Remote Unlock. You could also do the below, pulled from the manual:

Door Lock.PNG

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the tips thus far. I have checked my Mustang GT PP 2018, and the settings in the menu, are set correctly.
However, if I walk up to the car, on the passenger side, and rest my finger tips on/in the handle, the door does not unlock. If I walk up to the driver side door, and do the same, it unlocks both doors.

My next oil change and tyre rotation is in March. I will ask the dealer to check it then. Maybe I am doing something wrong here.

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have the same 'issue' and thought it was just a configuration I set somewhere, but I wasn't totally sure.

I have a feeling that it might be a battery saving feature, perhaps when the battery drops below X voltage or the car is left for X days etc. I do have a number of third party systems running 24/7 off of the battery. I'll do some more testing.

PhxDemon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have the same issue on my 2018 gt premium. Has anyone gone to the dealer for a fix on this yet?

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I just tested my 2018... walked up to the passenger side with the fob, touched the door handle, and it unlocked.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I took my 2018 GT PP to the dealership, for an oil change and tyre rotation.
At the same time, I asked them to check the door. They 'reset' it, and thus far it seems fine.

I will add. If I start the car via the Ford app, and then walk up to the passenger door, it will NOT automatically unlock. Must be a factory setting for that.
Works fine on the driver door...

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Sorry to be late to the party... There is a setting for the door locks- on my 16 it is in the options menu in the instrument panel. I get off work at 1am and have to go to a big half-empty parking garage, so I did NOT want the passengers door unlocking at the same time as the drivers'. It will still unlock if I'm standing next to it with the fob, but from the drivers side it requires me to use the unlock button on the fob or inner door.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this is a security measure of sorts: "I will add. If I start the car via the Ford app, and then walk up to the passenger door, it will NOT automatically unlock..."

- 2018 Mustang GT PP

Deleted member 33561

I had the same problem with my 2018 GT. It cleared up when I went to the settings and changed the passenger door opening when I open the drivers side from not opening when I open the drivers side. Then I changed it back to not opening at the same time and that cleared it up. I can now open it from both sides now. I assume just a glitch in the computer and what I did caused it to reset properly. ??
Sponsored