Automatic or Manual

Automatic or Manual?

• Total voters

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
very nice...I remember visiting a Pontiac dealer in 78 or 79 ....dreaming about one of these. But the price was out of reach for me. That's when I picked up my Torino Cobra for $600.00
Not going to say what I sold it for but still kicking myself for letting it go.
They were nice but the engines were lame. Put in a proper Pontiac GTO or RA3 400 or SD455 and the world changes.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The advantages of the 10R80 cannot be ignored. However, no car enthusiast hops in a vehicle and gets excited seeing PRNDL/PRNDS. If the same advancement efforts that went into the 10R80 also went into the MT82, we would have an exceptional manual transmission. Is the 10R80 superior to the MT82? Maybe, but manual transmissions are more fun than automatics as a general statement.

H-pattern>PRNDL/PRNDS
To be fair, the MT-82 DID get a ton of improvements. It's less shit now from a construction perspective, and the active rev match feature is amazing. The standard twin disc clutch is also pretty good, the pedal is light and easy to use. Some lament the new gearing, but it makes the car a cinch to drive in all conditions. The only improvements I'd want to see become standard is better clutch feel/feedback, and a trans mounted shifter instead of the body mount one.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
People hold hands at Korean bbq? Ummm I'll pass thanks. I would rather use my hands to eat with chopsticks 😸

Stangygt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang gt pp1
Wait until/if you boost it, you'll grow to hate the 10R80 real quick haha.
lmao

I’ve seen some videos and post about that lol I’ll probably blow the tranny even more if it did get boosted ! Smh I already blew one

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
To be fair, the MT-82 DID get a ton of improvements. It's less shit now from a construction perspective, and the active rev match feature is amazing. The standard twin disc clutch is also pretty good, the pedal is light and easy to use. Some lament the new gearing, but it makes the car a cinch to drive in all conditions. The only improvements I'd want to see become standard is better clutch feel/feedback, and a trans mounted shifter instead of the body mount one.
Amen to that. When I got my first Mustang, a 2013 GT Brembo pkg. I wanted the manual. I figured a pony car needed a manual to be really fun. That is until I test drove a manual. The clutch was awful. It was heavy, and It didn't start to grab until it was almost all the way out, making it difficult to determine when it was going to engage. I killed the car three times before I got it off the lot, and twice more on the drive. I ended up with the 6 speed auto and loved it (other than my wife could drive it too).
The clutch in my 2019 is so much better than the 2013. It actually feels like the clutches in all the cars and trucks that I owned in the past. 1st gear could be a little lower, but other than that; what ice445 said.

OGsmakDadE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue GT, 1999 Honda Prelude
Another thread that won't end well.......but we'll beat this dead horse a little more :like:

How about......there is no right or wrong. Just get what suits you best and don't worry about what other people think.
Should never utter the words “dead horse” to a bunch of mustang enthusiasts…
I like it. It scares the crap out of the BMW guys
You mean they can hear something else over the sound of their ill-tuned cars backfiring constantly?????

Matthewneedforgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1
I love a manual most of my cars have been, however the A10 changed the way I look at autos the drive is great and it's fast with better mpg it just made more sense to me.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
4 wheel drum brakes and manual steering are more of an enthusiasts choice. If you have power steering you are not a man.

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Anyone who uses a smart phone obviously isn't an enthusiast.

martin-cooper-motorola-dynatac1-e1539360738306.jpg

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I had a 13 with a 6-speed MT and as some others have said, the trans felt terrible. Clunky and noisy. Gear shifts were never smooth. I've driven manual for over 30 years and honestly just didn't care for it so took the chance when I bought my 15 and got the Automatic. I have absolutely no regrets about doing so.

I recently drove my buddy's 18 GT350 and that trans was like butter. Super short throws light clutch pedal and really precise. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Unfortunately now that I'm getting a little older my knees are starting to hurt so the Auto is the better way for me to go so when I bought the 16 that is replacing the 15 I went Auto again.

I'd be surprised if that isn't a major dividing factor between the two camps. We get old but we still love cars and want to drive cars that are FUN to drive. If the Auto trans allows people to continue driving cars they love. Let em' have at it!

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
I had a 13 with a 6-speed MT and as some others have said, the trans felt terrible. Clunky and noisy. Gear shifts were never smooth. I've driven manual for over 30 years and honestly just didn't care for it so took the chance when I bought my 15 and got the Automatic. I have absolutely no regrets about doing so.

I recently drove my buddy's 18 GT350 and that trans was like butter. Super short throws light clutch pedal and really precise. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Unfortunately now that I'm getting a little older my knees are starting to hurt so the Auto is the better way for me to go so when I bought the 16 that is replacing the 15 I went Auto again.

I'd be surprised if that isn't a major dividing factor between the two camps. We get old but we still love cars and want to drive cars that are FUN to drive. If the Auto trans allows people to continue driving cars they love. Let em' have at it!

Well said and I can fully respect that. If I get to the point where I can no longer shift due to my knees being bad or something and I still want to drive a muscle car I could see myself getting an auto at that point as well.

Enjoy your car man
Sponsored