Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Given the above I probably would have more fun driving a manual corolla over a auto mustang
Truth. Most fun car on Earth to drive is a manual rental car—I had a manual Citroën C4 in Poland once…best time ever 🍻🍻
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Yeah few were doing burnouts like they were John Force about to click off a 4-5s pass, you could eat a sandwich between shifts and best part was they'd do a run and line up again over and over hit lapping it not giving it chance to cool down. 😆
Lol. I hot lapped a 11.92@118 bone stock in mine.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Ah dude, get out of my head!
Hahaha, I'm sure a few of us were frantically searching ...

"double clutch, no, no, double clutch vin diesel, fuck, GIF GIF, I NEED A GIF!!!"

To be honest, I'm not even sure why I'm posting in here, hell, I don't even HAVE a transmission now :D

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I took my A10 Mach 1 to the track last night and wow did it perform amazing in track mode.
It was always in the power and very smooth!
On the very tight Autocross course I was able to get identical times as a porsche 911, Golf R stage 3, 700hp evo. 27 seconds. Mach was super composed on the slalom, very impressed.
On the track, I did not challenge the car enough as this was a lead follow event. I kept asking the instructor to go faster because the car has so much more to give. He said he could tell but he had to take other cars and driver levels into account too.
45 minutes straight at each event and the car purred like a kitten... Even when the intake temps were up to 150deg waiting in line at autocross it never felt down on power.
On the straights she pulls so hard!!!
A10 for the win even though I do miss my 15GT stick, but there is no way I would've been able to be this smooth with it as the A10.

PHILTHY_PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Lol. I hot lapped a 11.92@118 bone stock in mine.
That's sweet time what rear gear are you running in your car, I've got the 3.15s was going to go 3.55s but hard to make up my mind as I already spin like crazy with nitto 555s and I don't want to run a full drag slick. I was told by couple guys with 18+ 10spd that for me to get into the 11s I'll need to switch gearing, I'm not 100% convinced on that as I ran a 12.3 and let off before the end not paying attention so I lost shit ton of momentum likely a 12.1 or lower run so I'm quite upset I know I won't make that mistake again. Lol

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
That's sweet time what rear gear are you running in your car, I've got the 3.15s was going to go 3.55s but hard to make up my mind as I already spin like crazy with nitto 555s and I don't want to run a full drag slick. I was told by couple guys with 18+ 10spd that for me to get into the 11s I'll need to switch gearing, I'm not 100% convinced on that as I ran a 12.3 and let off before the end not paying attention so I lost shit ton of momentum likely a 12.1 or lower run so I'm quite upset I know I won't make that mistake again. Lol
My car has 3.55's, and that was on the crappy P zeros it came with! Try the NT555RII drag radials. I just ran 10.52/138 on them, with only a little spin on the 1-2. On Edit: I did lower my P zeros to 22psi, and that dropped a tenth. (12.0 to 11.9)

PHILTHY_PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
My car has 3.55's, and that was on the crappy P zeros it came with! Try the NT555RII drag radials. I just ran 10.52/138 on them, with only a little spin on the 1-2. On Edit: I did lower my P zeros to 22psi, and that dropped a tenth. (12.0 to 11.9)
Damn man that's sweet I do appreciate the info, I have xpipe, bdx tuner with 91-93oct tune, k&n drop in filter, tb spacer (i know likely doesn't do shit but was a gift from the wife) lol. I've been trying to load up on the converter but I don't have the bmr lockout kit and vertical links yet and it tries to hop, so I'm waiting to get that stuff in and installed then I'll head back to the track I'll need new tires soon enough I've heard good things about the Rs.
Check out my Instagram if you use it, wouldn't mind touching base here and their see h how your doing at the track vice versa as it's always nice to have someone else trying to get those times down and figuring out what works and what doesn't work. Lol @PHILTHYPNY

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What about automatics that you can ONLY paddle shift ?
Yes, it would not make sense at all, just hypothetically, since these pure auto-shift-disabled transmission do not exist.
Is it still an automatic ? Or would it qualify as a manual ? Would it be both ?
Sort of in-between. And I'm sure that the automated side of AT shifting could be disabled electronically.

Using a shifter vs a paddle in that regard is almost the same.
Not really. Footwork-wise, yes, but the paddle location is all wrong and too subject to "twitchy fingers". I've driven a car that had both the paddles and a +/- gate at the shifter.

And still the auto-trans will win terms of gear shifting speed, even if automatic gear selection is disabled and must be done by the driver.
Maybe, maybe not.

And finally since the A10 can be paddle shifted in a MANUAL mode, let's pretend they qualify as manuals.
Are manual purists be offended by this fact?
Take the paddles away and use a +/- gate and you'd be getting a lot closer.

Would they accept the fact that auto drivers can go manual AND auto whenever they want ? Or would it need a manual clutch as well ?
Hard no on retaining any automated shifting.

Not having a manual clutch gets into having to live with other aspects of an automatic transmission that I don't much care for either. With only the throttle as a control I'd have less control over how gently or hard I get my car rolling is one. Having to gently use the brake to maintain low speeds in traffic is another. Having to hold the brake to remain stopped on level ground is yet another. The fact that nobody's shift logic - not even an automated shift schedule of my own creation - is ever going to line up with the way I might want to be driving at any given instant might be the worst.

Norm

Reactions: dx2

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A10 for the win even though I do miss my 15GT stick, but there is no way I would've been able to be this smooth with it as the A10.
Gear spacing aside, you're selling yourself short.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
some Autos have a 'sequential shift' override mode by knocking the shifter off-axis and now it's a one gear at a time mode both up and down. Granted the software still will shift down for you as you slow and breach the threshold to the lower.

the Ford F150 Sport package solution is unfortunately the 'worst' since Ford unhelpfully forgot to provide paddle shifters. Putting the control stick in manual in 'M' lets me use the +/- toggle switch on the side but I have to move my arm off the wheel. And with 10 gears at play that interaction is entirely too frequent.

Give me 'squential' mode with the shifter stalk and paddle shifters and it would be "perfect" (for an auto). I'd rather a M6 though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't make the NT555 mistake again, either. It never was a top-shelf tire, not even when it was first introduced about 15 years ago.

Norm

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Gear spacing aside, you're selling yourself short.

Norm
Thanks Norm, unfortunately the only way financially I could get the wife to let me get the Mach was with the Auto. For the last few months I am always telling her I really miss driving stick and wish I got the stick. This track day was finally something that made me like this car much more.
Also the 1.5 hours of sitting in stop and go traffic to get to the track made me appreciate the aut more too. lol
Sponsored