• Total voters

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I just want to get everyones views on Automatic vs Manual Mustangs and your views on 6speed vs 10speed
All of the Mustangs I have owned from 89, to 92, 2012 and 13 Shelby were all stick. The 2021 Roush supercharged one I have now is an auto. Let me tell this is not your grandma's automatic. In sport mode, the 1st to seconds shift is hard enough to snap your neck back and it shifts fast! Plus you can go to the paddle controls. Things have changed.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
All of the Mustangs I have owned from 89, to 92, 2012 and 13 Shelby were all stick. The 2021 Roush supercharged one I have now is an auto. Let me tell this is not your grandma's automatic. In sport mode, the 1st to seconds shift is hard enough to snap your neck back and it shifts fast! Plus you can go to the paddle controls. Things have changed.
Not M6 owners.
1625748980021.gif

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
This is to be expected.

Those who favor the MT are at risk of having their preference taken away from them, mainly by the way non-enthusiast mainstream sedan/SUV/CUV buyers who wouldn't ever consider trying to drive stick have been equipping their vehicles. That risk attracts more MT participants on a sporty-car forum, and probably more strident responses.

Norm
By that logic it seems that anyone who wants a manual that doesn't buy a new vehicle with a stick is exacerbating the demise of the manual transmission.
Buying a used manual transmission car is in actuality being a traitor to manual transmission production.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm disagrees, assuming he can contort his leg that far.
Hasn't been a chance of that since I tore my left knee up BMX racing back in '87. 90° range of motion is about all I've been able to manage since. Bone fracture, ligaments torn, meniscus damaged (further). And once I got back in the driver seat none of that has been the slightest impediment, not even for all the double-clutching I do.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd be bored too if I took 30 seconds to get to 60 while I row-row-row-my-gears gently down the street.
Too slow for me even on the most laid-back days. 10 seconds down to maybe 8 is enough. I really don't give a rat's ass how slow that may sound or look to the guy in the other lane who thought he could suck me into a challenge.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
By that logic it seems that anyone who wants a manual that doesn't buy a new vehicle with a stick is exacerbating the demise of the manual transmission.
Kind of my point now, wasn't it?

Mfrs have tend to drop MTs once the take rate drops below about 5%. I've been watching this happen in the family sedan segment for at least 50 years, and jumping ship from mfr to mfr for over 40 just to keep that third pedal and H-pattern shifting.

Buying a used manual transmission car is in actuality being a traitor to manual transmission production.
Hadn't really thought much about that, but yeah I see your point.

Norm

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
How’s that 7th to 2nd downshift working for you? :giggle:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes...this will do 🤴🏼👍🏻
OK. Saved to a Word file so I don't have to guess what it was.

Something I think I'll pass on here that's less about cars than it is about me.

Just about everything I've ever done or at least tried to learn about cars has been prompted by my own personal observations, curiosities, and reflection on how well my observations lined up with what I wanted or expected. This predates my entire life as a licensed driver, BTW. Maybe think 'downhill buggies', like soapbox racers except incredibly cruder. Built one that would carry 3 of us but wouldn't turn for crap, built another focused on maneuverability that would turn just fine until it rolled (which ended up being the immediate, guaranteed outcome).

I've been utterly blown away a few times (like the step up from pure bias to bias-belted tires), and greatly disappointed a few times as well (over-lowering a strut-suspended car). Amazed at the handling improvement in a 1964 Dodge over the 1950's cars that I had been driving . . . I'd have still been a teen at the time with maybe 3 years behind the wheel and only my observations and an engineering outlook going for me. No internet, y'know.

I still rely on personal observations as much as I can - you have to have some aptitude for this or you might as well forget about doing any of your own tuning, or evaluating your own driving and any of the subtleties involved. I think I'm OK at extending many older observations to situations that aren't much different operationally. Some of which can be supported via mathematical analysis. But I always take something away from it. Even for the nominal topic of this thread. And I try to give something back that may not have been mentioned. Bet you didn't know I once toyed around with the notion of an H-based shifter pattern for an automatic (well, maybe more of a W-pattern, but anyway).

Norm

Last edited: