Automatic or Manual?

• Total voters

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and from what I'm reading, Ford and Chevy trucks with the 10 speed are smooth and very well behaved
indeed they are. The shift ramps in the F150 be it normal or sport mode are a model of 'blending'. Only when the trans got super did it get ornery. There is something very wrong with your (all?) Mustang A10 programming. In Track mode, sure, snap off those shifts but NOT repeat NOT in such a manner as to upset traction and chassis stability.
Sponsored

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
Another thread that won't end well.......but we'll beat this dead horse a little more :like:

How about......there is no right or wrong. Just get what suits you best and don't worry about what other people think.
It is just some fun back and forth banter. No harm to anyone really. I know you have seen the conversation before but those newer to the forum may enjoy the back and forth and making their point more than just searching old posts.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
You know what I find disrespectful? Truck flags. They don't follow proper etiquette for display.

NOW this thread will get locked :giggle:
Flags on monster trucks were cool when I was like 12. Flags on normal trucks are super dumb. Mini window flags and antlers and whatever else is also super dumb. But hey, some think blacking out and eliminating emblems is super dumb too sooooo...

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
So just out of curiosity. Other than if you track the car, how are you seeing the 1/2 second difference? Unless you are racing everyone away from red lights, it is just simply silly, right? A quarter mile or 0-60 time in daily driving is just a moot point. The ability to pass when needed, accelerate on the on ramps, have some fun with highway pulls, make some engine and exhaust noise etc is what our cars do off track, right? The half second is just not an issue in my opinion.
I try to get to the track at least 15-20 times a year and I also do some open track racing. I know the manual is desired for the open track events but I still prefer my 10speed. It’s always in the powerband. And I pretty much do race away at every light🙂. As far as highway pulls (and on ramps?) everyone knows the 10speed is king.

Not a racer. Just enjoy driving the car back and forth to work and on weekends.
🤔.

Sponsored

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I try to get to the track at least 15-20 times a year and I also do some open track racing. I know the manual is desired for the open track events but I still prefer my 10speed. It’s always in the powerband. And I pretty much do race away at every light🙂. As far as highway pulls (and on ramps?) everyone knows the 10speed is king.

🤔.
I get that part. The reason I prefer the Manual is because I want to be able to control the car when in the curves, onramps, offramps etc by down shifting and upshifting as needed. I just dont enjoy the automatic doing it for me or using paddles shifters. I learned to drive on a 5 speed and have always felt a little lost when driving an automatic like needing something to do other than steer. It is clearly personal preference, but for me, I won't put the car on the track and the manual more caters to driving how I drive. Having learned and always driven a manual, it really comes second nature to me and I am not even thinking about clutching or shifting at all when I do it. I don't think about it at all, I just do it at this point just like moving from gas to brake is intuitive to all drivers, the clutch and shift become that intuitive. I am just more comfortable controlling the car by downshifting and upshifting when I think it is needed. The automatics of today are must better. I had a modern auto with paddles on my BMW that I just got rid of. It was OK, but just not the same as a true manual shifter.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Did you guys actually drive a manual? I've never driven a car with such and easy clutch. Unless you aren't able to walk, I don't see how the clutch in these cars could be an issue. It doesn't take much more effort than the gas pedal. :giggle:
Oh yeah, I did. I waited years for a new Bullitt and was crushed to find out it only came with the M6. I drove my friends 18' with and without the factory spring and the Steeda spring. I could do it for awhile but not day to day. Also without surgery the knee will only get worse. I plan on keeping the car 10 years so it had to be the A10.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
So just out of curiosity. Other than if you track the car, how are you seeing the 1/2 second difference? Unless you are racing everyone away from red lights, it is just simply silly, right? A quarter mile or 0-60 time in daily driving is just a moot point. The ability to pass when needed, accelerate on the on ramps, have some fun with highway pulls, make some engine and exhaust noise etc is what our cars do off track, right? The half second is just not an issue in my opinion.
Theoretically, the auto pulls more Gs and puts out more wheel torque per gear than the manual. While this likely won't create a huge difference in 0-60 times, it will provide more of a sense of acceleration and fun factor in the ol' butt dyno. Basically, less to do with the speed of shifts and more to do with the gearing.

It feels like driving two different cars.

Here is an engineer explaining:

Last edited:

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Theoretically, the auto pulls more Gs and puts out more wheel torque per gear than the manual. While this likely won't create a huge difference in 0-60 times, it will provide more of a sense of acceleration and fun factor in the ol' butt dyno. Basically, less to do with the speed of shifts and more to do with the gearing.

It feels like driving two different cars.

Here is an engineer explaining:
Operative word he casually drops in the video is DRIVER ENGAGEMENT.

Sponsored

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
For sure, much different experience. I was commenting on feeling the 1/2 second difference.
I guess if you get your jollies off of hole shots from red lights and you find that fun, then great. Driving is not seeing how fast you can get from red light to red light, it is the entire process, very little of which is starting out fast in a 0-60. I would venture to guess than very few people on this forum, if ANY, can get their car to do a 3.9 0-60 time. That said, for the layman driver that most of us are, what is the real difference? I rarely if ever use speed off the line. Most people don't unless on the track. For normal every day driving, those of us who add super chargers to get up of 700HP are probably not going to get their monies worth unless they drive on the track. There is a point where fast is fast enough, wouldn't you say? Our cars, with stock or minor upgrades are plenty fast enough whether manual or automatic.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I guess if you get your jollies off of hole shots from red lights and you find that fun, then great. Driving is not seeing how fast you can get from red light to red light, it is the entire process, very little of which is starting out fast in a 0-60. I would venture to guess than very few people on this forum, if ANY, can get their car to do a 3.9 0-60 time. That said, for the layman driver that most of us are, what is the real difference? I rarely if ever use speed off the line. Most people don't unless on the track. For normal every day driving, those of us who add super chargers to get up of 700HP are probably not going to get their monies worth unless they drive on the track. There is a point where fast is fast enough, wouldn't you say? Our cars, with stock or minor upgrades are plenty fast enough whether manual or automatic.
Different strokes for different folks. For sure.

It's not just about 0-60. Sport+ and spirited partial throttle off a light and you get to whip through 3-4 gears in a few seconds - it has a great feeling and sound. Basically, best way I can describe driving it is like a race car. Upshifts and downshifts.

Downshifting through 4-5 gears from 60 at a light just sounds amazing.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
tenor.gif

I kid, but seriously, it might not make a difference for your use case. The extra speed and consistency are a factor for some though. Isn't it great that we have choices?

...I still think what you're really afraid of is that you might like it :giggle:
I was such an anti auto guy for so long i think i was afraid id like it, and i do love it. ha. i drove one first, i didnt randomly just go buy an auto, but id be lying if i said i wondered if id feel self conscious admitting i bought an auto mustang :cwl: :blush:

it fits the bill though, i genuinely enjoy driving it a lot. were it something like an SN95, fox, etc with the autos those had- no way. the A10 can be very fun though. only other S550 i drove was a 2015 manual. never driven any other auto mustang besides mine (and the 2020 i test drove)

and a 68- manual would be an absolute must for me, no question, traffic be damned. but i wouldnt use that for a DD like i can get away with in the '19.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Dig it. The time and money aspects are why I don't have a project car of some kind. That and the lack of a third garage bay. We've talked about expanding the garage/adding a pop-up, but that's just further time and money. I do love the 68's though. Real question is, auto or manual :crackup:
STICK! It started life as a 2bbl, 289 top loader, It was built in Metchuen NJ. My buddy put a 69 351W in it back in the day. We'll rebuild that for now and add modern ignition etc. My son wants to make a shelby tribute...not quite Elanor but close. It will also have a 5 speed. Other things we already have are Meyers Racing brace to tie front and rear unibody frame rails together. It will have modern disc brakes and suspension.

59726327977__400B1200-C5F2-402F-9CEB-12ED59AEFC0F.JPEG

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
i did some brief messing with the accel timer in track apps-i got an earth shattering 4.6 0-60, 2.3 60ft, and a 12.7 1/4 at 117 :cwl: pretty much exactly what i expected. is it capable of more-absolutely. did i expect to get a 3.9 and a sub 12- absolutely not
Sponsored