Sponsored

Are my Cup2s toast?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It looks like I am starting to see some delamination. Can I get one more event out of them?

20220417_171256.jpg

20220417_171313.jpg

20220417_171354.jpg
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m super proud of itā€¦ but this is the most thread Iā€™ve shown coming off track. I donā€™t even consider replacing the tires until Iā€™m showing good thread.

5AE0D6BD-5933-4F5B-AC73-E5E3285A7BF5.png

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Wow! Alrighty then. Problem solved lol

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Wow! Alrighty then. Problem solved lol
:)

How much negative camber are you running? Looks like the outside shoulder will be the first to show cord, as I donā€™t see any tread left. If you were showing some tread on the outer shoulder Iā€™d say you definitely have 2 days left.

How many days/hrs are on them right now?

Sponsored

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Camber plates are next on my list :like:

I'm relatively slow on track so these have lasted me 11 days so far lol

But I AM getting faster and most of that wear has happened in the last few events. Watkins Glen in particular was hard on the tires and the brake pads.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

But I AM getting faster and most of that wear has happened in the last few events. Watkins Glen in particular was hard on the tires and the brake pads.
I havenā€™t laughed that hard in a while :)

Okā€¦. You probably have 2 days left on them. Camber plates will certainly help. My home track is very hard on tires and brakes and I only get 3-4 days out of 35 series cup 2ā€™s, 2-3 days out of the 30 series.

If I may make a recommendation: It looks like thereā€™s quite a bit of rubber remnants that have glued themselves to the tire (totally normal.) This usually happens during your cooldown lap when your tires are hot and they pickup anything they touch. If youā€™re not driving on the racing line during cooldown (which a lot of people donā€™t) then the tires pickup all the spare rubber that is sitting off the line. Staying on line during the cooldown lap will greatly minimize the hot tire pickup.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I havenā€™t laughed that hard in a while :)

Okā€¦. You probably have 2 days left on them. Camber plates will certainly help. My home track is very hard on tires and brakes and I only get 3-4 days out of 35 series cup 2ā€™s, 2-3 days out of the 30 series.

If I may make a recommendation: It looks like thereā€™s quite a bit of rubber remnants that have glued themselves to the tire (totally normal.) This usually happens during your cooldown lap when your tires are hot and they pickup anything they touch. If youā€™re not driving on the racing line during cooldown (which a lot of people donā€™t) then the tires pickup all the spare rubber that is sitting off the line. Staying on line during the cooldown lap will greatly minimize the hot tire pickup.
Damn! Guess I'll just stay slow :giggle:

And that makes sense about the rubber build up. I was wondering where it was coming from. It's also possible that my line is so bad that I am always off line :sunglasses::crackup:

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I got 11,000miles out of my 2019 factory Sport Cup 2's................. talk about driving slow!

No track days.

I did just pick up 4 Sport Cup 2's with 2000 miles with ZERO track time for $1000..... these will be my future track tires.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
How much toe are you running? I've seen varying posts over the years on tires that wear too fast. Some get one or two events tops. I think the difference in toe adjustment. I seem to get more events out of tires than others. To me, this means that I either: 1: don't drive as hard; 2: am better at turn-ins (I don't think so, I'm just OK); or 3: I run less aggressive toe. Which I know that I have a street-friendly toe adjustment.

IMO, if you want them to last longer run less toe. But that then starts the turn-in conversation. And I want to be an agent of peace. šŸ˜‚ So I should not have suggested it.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
How much toe are you running? I've seen varying posts over the years on tires that wear too fast. Some get one or two events tops. I think the difference in toe adjustment. I seem to get more events out of tires than others. To me, this means that I either: 1: don't drive as hard; 2: am better at turn-ins (I don't think so, I'm just OK); or 3: I run less aggressive toe. Which I know that I have a street-friendly toe adjustment.

IMO, if you want them to last longer run less toe. But that then starts the turn-in conversation. And I want to be an agent of peace. šŸ˜‚ So I should not have suggested it.
I run .1 total in for front, and .3 for back. The recommended settings per the manual.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base

11 track days theyā€™re likely heat cycled out but theyā€™ll more than likely survive another day before cording.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Going a bit against the grain here - if those are your only tires (i.e. you're driving them to/from the track), I'd toss them. If trailered, sure you have more time. Definitely a day, likely more. But this is not a chance I'd take if they were my only tires. Not worth losing the track time. And the drive there could easily cause an issue with nails, excessive water, etc.

Also, WGI is not a track I'd mess around with bad tires on (assuming that's your next event).

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Going a bit against the grain here - if those are your only tires (i.e. you're driving them to/from the track), I'd toss them. If trailered, sure you have more time. Definitely a day, likely more. But this is not a chance I'd take if they were my only tires. Not worth losing the track time. And the drive there could easily cause an issue with nails, excessive water, etc.

Also, WGI is not a track I'd mess around with bad tires on (assuming that's your next event).
Hmmmm you've given me something to think about. The event is at Summit Point Main (which is a relatively sedate track) but I was planning on driving there and back. I have a second set of wheels with the PSS mounted on them. I suppose I can bring the two front wheels with PSS just in case.