Sponsored

Camber Plates/N4SM R-specs/Cup2s

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
After my wheels arrived from Paul at N4SM I quickly went and had them wrapped with Michelin Sport Cup 2s in 305/30/19(f) and 315/30/19(r). Then I bought some Maximum Motorsports camber plates and got the alignment done. The alignment was done roughly to the R-specs provided in the owners supplement, and off I went to the track! I previously had three days on the car with the stock wheels, MPSS, and stock alignment.

In out of the box stock form this car is real impressive. Most of all, the grip level of the MPSS was pretty amazing for a street tire. However, these low-level mods brings the track experience to a new level. With this setup the car is much more precise....scalpel-like precise. On the road with all of the pavement character the car is actually pretty darty. On a spirited cruise I will definitely go back to the stock wheels and tires. However, I have yet to see how the stock wheels and tires will be behave with the new alignment.

The other very notable change with this setup is the elimination of any understeer. In stock form you could definitely induce a bit of understeer and had to drive accordingly to stay away from it. Despite the staggered fitment, with the sticky 305's up front and the alignment dialed in there was not a hint of understeer all day.

The wheels worked great. I used the lug nuts Paul provided and had no issues with them. It's hard to feel, with all the changes, how much the weight reduction in the wheels actually changed things. This is essentially a track combination setup and the sum of the parts together work in symbiotic fashion.

N4SM R-specs called for track duty:

The hunt:

Rotate:

Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Congrats! Good looking setup. Car looks great in action too!

Reactions: CSL

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
CSL, please be careful of lift throttle oversteer at high load/high rpm conditions with the revised rear alignment settings.
Steve

Reactions: CSL
OP
OP
CSL

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Wheel offsets are not the same front to rear so rotating is not an option unless you use spacers. Also, a 305/30 is much shorter than the stock 305/35, so getting something a little taller than a 305/30 in the rear is preferable to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CSL

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
CSL, please be careful of lift throttle oversteer at high load/high rpm conditions with the revised rear alignment settings.
Steve
Duly noted. Curious how you came upon this finding?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You had me at "symbiotic."

OP
OP
CSL

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
^^LMAO!!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Duly noted. Curious how you came upon this finding?
It's actually relatively fundamental. As an extreme example: With the camber change, there's more weight transfer in the inner parts of the front tires causing less grip. The transfer forward puts less grip on the rear tire as well. This is where you see a lot of beginners get very out of shape because they lifted off the throttle, started coasting, and the transition of weight and grip throws the rear of the car out into the corner.

Camber only works when you're pushing the car into a corner with power. With no power or brake, the car is free to do whatever the road is telling it to do.

OP
OP
CSL

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I understand all the dynamics. Was just wondering if he has any practical experience. I didn't feel anything at all to suggest that would be an issue beyond some sort of obvious driver error. Not my first rodeo.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I understand all the dynamics...Not my first rodeo.
Touche. In that sense, I wouldn't understand either because Cup 2's were made practically with cornering only in mind and their compound and design clearly show it.
Sponsored