Sponsored

2017 GT350 Engine toast, buy back process?

Dtroy1003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Has anyone gone through a buy back process on their GT350?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dtroy1003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long have you had the car? How many times has it been at the dealership for same issue? What is the issue?
I bought the car new only 5 miles on it November of 2017. I do not drive it much. I only have 11,500 miles on it. This was the first time its happened. They can not tell me the issue. All they can tell me is, "The engine had a catastrophic failure". Ford wants to replace the engine. I said I do not want it replace unless they have a Tech dig into it and tell me what went wrong. I need them to tell me the issue so that they can make sure it is resolved in the new engine they put decide to install.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
a buy back isnt going to happen after 2 years of ownership. get the new engine and sell it if you dont feel good about the deal

OP
OP

Dtroy1003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a buy back isnt going to happen after 2 years of ownership. get the new engine and sell it if you dont feel good about the deal
Ya that is what I am afraid of. I am still going to try. But like you said, I will just end up trying to sell it in the end. The value of the car will dramatically drop. I will refuse to make the same monthly payments on a car that has half the value. I appreciate it though, thanks.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The engine is a separate component that is being replaced by a complete component. Any problems that existed are being replaced. Should have no effect on value of car. Complete motor installed at dealer would not give me any heartburn, it sure wouldn't affect me purchasing. Really shouldn't need to be noted.

If you are worried about fuel system or tune I'm sure Ford will check after install of new engine. I guess these engines are still hand built so maybe builder had a bad day.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Car is under warranty, Ford is replacing the engine? That is what that warranty is for. Not all of the billions of cars and car parts can be defect free. Sometimes you spin a bearing, it's a car, they do that.

You're good, enjoy the new engine.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP:
To even enter into Ford RAV Buy Back, the vehicle Owner must let Ford repair the car under the Warranty provisions. By you not wanting them to repair because of ABCD, isn’t going to help your claim.

———-

There is some misinformation here in this thread...

1st, “value of car” - it’s a Shelby and granted Ford is giving him a chance at receiving a brand new engine under warranty, it’s no longer a numbers matching vehicle or engine. Some Shelby Owners are always wanting numbers matching this or that, but the engine received will not have any VIN or matching numbers to that vehicle. Future resale ona non-numbers marching Shelby could be an issue only IF a Buyer is a die hard Shelby fanatic. To anyone else, it wont matter.

2nd, even though the OP’s vehicle is a 2017 model year, most US State Lemon Laws do have wording that stipulates in order to make a claim, the claim must be made within 2 years or 24,000 miles of the vehicle purchase date. The OP purchased the 2017 in November 2017 AND it has under 24k, so he still has time to file a claim.

——

OP:
Search my user ID and the words “RAV”, “Buy Back” or “Lemon”. You’re going to find lots of Buy Back information and facts that I’ve posted across this site.

You need to know the Lemon Law in OH if that’s your home State. Look it up on your DMV or State Attorney General’s site. Do not use 3rd party or non-official websites for that info or BBB - some of those sites contain outdated data and misinformation. Ford and Ford RAV does not deviate from any State Lemon Laws, they follow it.

If your Home State imposes penalties or fees, those are mandatory based on the Lemon Law provisions and are not a “Ford thing”. Again this is why you need to know your State’s Lemon Laws.

You have to let Ford attempt repair, period. The Service Center, nor Ford is going to dig into the blown engine to tell you or anyone else for that matter, exactly what caused the failure. Once they declare a catastrophic failure, they have received authorization from Ford AND granted you a replacement, be happy and take it. The new engine will come with warranty.

Many State Lemon Laws will also have a provision that if a vehicle has been inop at the Dealer for 30 consecutive days OR 30 calendar days in a year (every State is different). So if it takes the Dealership that time frame from start to finish to diagnose, get a replacement engine and the whole R&R process - then the vehicle would instantly qualify for a Lemon Law claim.

—————

Here ya go, review this thread which is similar to your situation:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...th-a-buyback-after-engine-replacement.111459/

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Pictures or it didn't happen, since you joined today.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ya that is what I am afraid of. I am still going to try. But like you said, I will just end up trying to sell it in the end. The value of the car will dramatically drop. I will refuse to make the same monthly payments on a car that has half the value. I appreciate it though, thanks.
Ford will gladly repo it if that’s the case, fix it and sell it to someone else.

I definitely get your frustration but the dealers obligation is to make good on the failure while it’s under warranty.

Almost certainly chances are the failure was caused by a defect in the original engine, not something external contributing to it. As much as it is frustrating, you’ll have a new engine with a NEW warranty on that engine.

Who cares what resale is as long as you’re owning and enjoying it.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Lets be realistic. It has 11k miles not 19. It is a driver and will be bought and sold as such for years to come. The motor being replaced, while disappointing, isn't likely to kill the value. Plus folks have been getting 19 motors which appear to be doing a bit better.

Sure with certain buyers it might matter. But to the vast majority of folks aren't going to check or care. As this car gets older and more and more motors go it might cause a delta but I don't think on a driver it will matter.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I think you are looking at this wrong. Just my opinion here. But how does a NEW motor hurt its value? I myself would rather get a new motor in mine then a "fixed" Original. After 2 years Im sure the New motor will be an improved version over the original in some form. Also as a buyer if I were to go into a dealer to look at a used gt350 this would be a bonus for me actually. The main reason I do not buy used performance cars is I have no idea how the owner treated them, I mean they are performance cars after all. If the deal said but this one has a brand new motor in it... I may ask why but at end of day who cares is has a brand new not beat on motor in it not some repaired one that exploded.... That's a bonus. (not that you beat on yours I just saying) the engine is not the car per say so if the rest of the car is perfect and the engine is new, for me and Im sure others, this would be a used car buying bonus. If anything else in your car broke under warranty, Im sure you would prefer it be replaced with a new part and not "fixed" why is the engine any different? I personally would be excited they are replacing it with a brand new engine. I hate stuff just being fixed because then Im always worried its gonna happen again or become unfixed. I say if you enjoy the car and we're gonna keep it then get the new engine and enjoy further. If you were (and not meant as an insult as we all been there) looking to find a reason to get rid of it and this is it , then get it fixed and sell it i seriously dont think a new engine is gonna hurt its value at all.