Anyone on e85 full time: upper lube?

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Anyone on e85 consistently using any upper lube?
... any particular ones you recommend? I’m thinking I’ll try the power plus stuff...
Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I use Lucas with every fill up

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
For whatever it’s worth...I talked with Lucas just a few days ago and they said their ethanol shield stuff has very very little lubricity. And their dedicated upper lube product is not soluble in alcohol so it can’t/shouldn’t be used. It seems there are not many options with out going into race formulas that have heavy metal components that foul sensors and cats.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Any evidence an additive is actually needed? This type of thing tends to be more emotion than reason. Feels good to believe what your pouring in is a benefit but truth is usually something different.

Pickle the system with pump gas if storing. Otherwise everything from the front to back of the car is e85 capable minus the stock tune.

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
I use Marvels Mystery Oil every fill most e85 in my area is almost 90%

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Any evidence an additive is actually needed? This type of thing tends to be more emotion than reason. Feels good to believe what your pouring in is a benefit but truth is usually something different.

Pickle the system with pump gas if storing. Otherwise everything from the front to back of the car is e85 capable minus the stock tune.
I totally know what you’re saying ... and in regards to most fuel additives I would agree with you... but fuel lubricity and how it correlates to top end wear is fairly easy to quantify. People much smarter than me have written quite a bit on the subject.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I use Marvels Mystery Oil every fill most e85 in my area is almost 90%
I’ve heard a lot of people use mmo. So I’m sure it’s not a huge deal but Marvel mystery oil says to not mix it into anything above e30 I believe. It’s not actually soluble in alcohol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been running with no lube for over a year. I’m sure it would be fine for a couple more years as well but I’m looking to get oem level reliability out of e85...

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I totally know what you’re saying ... and in regards to most fuel additives I would agree with you... but fuel lubricity and how it correlates to top end wear is fairly easy to quantify. People much smarter than me have written quite a bit on the subject.
links?

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Theres plenty of flex fuel cars like my daily that run E85 for tons of miles with no issue. my van gets E85 most of the time.
Sponsored