Sponsored

Anyone have experience buying/installing Setrab Oil Coolers for transmission?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I learned last season I needed a better cooler for the transmission (10R80) so I shopped and liked Setrab coolers. Thing is while they have a phone number you can NEVER I mean never get through to anyone. email has been the only way to talk to a Setrab person. To install their cooler you have to select the connectors, lines, mounts without their assistance. Or the email person nicely told me they service serious racing ppl and they don't sell "packages" based on your year/model/etc. My skill level is between swap brakes no problem, add sway bar okay (not the front tho), but no $10,000 SnapOn box. Anyone install one of these before for the 10R80?

btw I'm posting in track vs. drivetrain since I think track folks have more reason to add one of these.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda has an in-house race car BoM. Maybe now that their diff-cooler setup is a product they have an A10 kit also in the offing? How about it @tj@steeda ? It'd be like taking candy from a baby.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I learned last season I needed a better cooler for the transmission (10R80) so I shopped and liked Setrab coolers. Thing is while they have a phone number you can NEVER I mean never get through to anyone. email has been the only way to talk to a Setrab person. To install their cooler you have to select the connectors, lines, mounts without their assistance. Or the email person nicely told me they service serious racing ppl and they don't sell "packages" based on your year/model/etc. My skill level is between swap brakes no problem, add sway bar okay (not the front tho), but no $10,000 SnapOn box. Anyone install one of these before for the 10R80?

btw I'm posting in track vs. drivetrain since I think track folks have more reason to add one of these.
I remember going through the hassle of researching and finding the correct components when I installed my Setrab transmission external fluid pump on my MT82-D4. I could have easily set it up for a cooler with the fans, but was only looking for extra lubrication under launch and heavy acceleration. Anyways, I say that to say that perhaps some of what I’ve done may work for you on your 10R80.

See posts 154, 219 and 222 here.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt82-d4-rebuild-thread.176240/page-11

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
@Flyhalf has many times. He's the master of 10R80 trans cooling.
He's the one that turned me on to Setrab. I'm totally good with buying USA made and supported. Just have to figure out the Ford connectors and how much hose I need to where it will mount (the cooler).

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
What is your track trans temperature?
I added a second OEM cooler. Dropped 15 degrees on track. 1 foot of 8AN hose is all that's needed plus you cut one of the connections at the cooler. Costs a little over $100. I'll help you install it no charge.

You can get pretty good cooler advice from Pegasus. I think the techs name is John.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I purchased my transmission and rear differential cooling radiators from Derale and I talked to a technical expert there a couple times. No wait, got right on with him. It was really nice.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

I would suggest working with GTP considering he's done exactly what you want to do, and keeps detailed part lists of all the work he's done.

Between last spring and now I went from "I guess I can change my oil" to my front suspension is completely new, I've changed all my fluids and brakes. My box is a US General from Harbor Freight, def not SnapOn lol. My tools are Tekton, Gearwrench, and old Craftsman.

Take your time and ask for help. Don't rush anything and be okay with the car being up on stands overnight if you need a break. Generally car people are nice to others trying to learn how to DIY.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda has an in-house race car BoM. Maybe now that their diff-cooler setup is a product they have an A10 kit also in the offing? How about it @tj@steeda ? It'd be like taking candy from a baby.
I didn't realize Steeda made a diff cooling kit. Must be new. It's pricey but I like that it's the OEM setup w/no fan.

abatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
What is your track trans temperature?
I added a second OEM cooler. Dropped 15 degrees on track. 1 foot of 8AN hose is all that's needed plus you cut one of the connections at the cooler. Costs a little over $100. I'll help you install it no charge.

You can get pretty good cooler advice from Pegasus. I think the techs name is John.
Can I get some more details on this? I'm trying to sort some heat issues I've got with the car right now

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I never did a write-up on this, but I took some photos. I should get around to that.
Basically the 2nd cooler sits between the rad and condenser like the primary, but at the bottom.

Cut the inboard elbow off the lower trans hard line, flip it 180 so it points down, and then rejoin it to the pipe stub with 1.25" of 8AN hose, and ignition clamps. Then run a 9" 8AN hose between the two coolers so as to run them in series.

I did not bother to fab bracket(s) for mounting. I just put some thick PSA-backed rubber around the end caps and let it sit down there. I had to saw off the extensions at the plastic end caps for clearance.

I ran at Pitt Race today, and trans temp never exceeded 210F.

20230912_120226.jpg

20230912_101300.jpg

RBELUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT P1
Vehicle Showcase
Ive added a second tranny cooler from derale and added oil cooler as well. Tranny cooler connection was just purchase the OEM transmission line off ebay or dealer and doing the connection as GTP did. I like to keep original parts. Derale Stacked Plate Fluid Coolers 52508/52510 oil

Transmission and oil coolers have allowed me to run 20 min sessions at pace without limp-mode or heat warnings. Trans temps 220 oil 280 when shifting over 7000.

I mounted these in front of radiator low using Derale mounting bars.
IMG_8057.jpeg
Sponsored