Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Lately, I've been experiencing a pause in acceleration. Let's say I'm crusing along in 3rd gear at about 4k rpms. I jump on the gas and you hear the engine rpms increasing, cut no increase in rate of travel. Then after a beat or so, it catches and takes off. It's like some sort of rubber band effect. It has been happening more and more, so I took it to my local FORD dealer.

They had it for almost 2 weeks and for some reason couldn't replicate the behavior. I took a tech out and demonstrated. They are thinking maybe some sort of clutch issue. Anyone else?? What did you learn???
Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
If the clutch is slipping, you would hear a brief rise in RPMs (a sudden rise, not gradual, during brief clutch slippage) which would slow down when it grabs/fully engages and then moves the car forward. Does not sound like that is happening for you.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
if i am very light on and off the gas in say 3rd then floor it the car once in a while will not do much. It makes a little more noise but not much acceleration and correspondingly slow increase in RPM (nothing is slipping). If you lift up and start pushing the accelerator back down everything is normal. I am not seeing the traction control light come on. I am SPECULATING that breathing on and off the throttle and then flooring it might have the engine do some funny air/fuel things and pull timing to sort it out.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
if i am very light on and off the gas in say 3rd then floor it the car once in a while will not do much. It makes a little more noise but not much acceleration and correspondingly slow increase in RPM (nothing is slipping). If you lift up and start pushing the accelerator back down everything is normal. I am not seeing the traction control light come on. I am SPECULATING that breathing on and off the throttle and then flooring it might have the engine do some funny air/fuel things and pull timing to sort it out.
I think I experienced the same yesterday. High gear + no-to-little throttle input = lethargic throttle response. I had my car in for AC work, then to repair a wire they pinched, so not sure if I am just now noticing it because I am extra sensitive to it or if it just started doing it.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Interesting hypothesis. The OP is in Bakersfield which has the same weather (hot) and same gas (shitty) we have here in Fresno. He also has access to cheap e85 at the pump. A Lund flex tune and a tank of e85 work wonders.

Sponsored

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Yes. Can’t rember the thread topic but it has been brought up before. Happens as described to me as well only at part throttle. Not all the time but seems more like a miss or stutter. I suspect a computer management issue.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
When the engine starts making good torque and cylinder pressure increases is where detonation is most likely, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ecu were pulling timing, especially with 91 octane. The 526/429 hp/tq ratings are on 93. Mid range throttle response is where the flex tune really shines.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
When the engine starts making good torque and cylinder pressure increases is where detonation is most likely, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ecu were pulling timing, especially with 91 octane. The 526/429 hp/tq ratings are on 93. Mid range throttle response is where the flex tune really shines.
Can't wait to tune mine after warranty is up!

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The service adviser with whom I deal (who drives a 2018 GT) has no problem with my car being tuned.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
Interesting hypothesis. The OP is in Bakersfield which has the same weather (hot) and same gas (shitty) we have here in Fresno. He also has access to cheap e85 at the pump. A Lund flex tune and a tank of e85 work wonders.

Might have shot holes in my hypothesis. I only run Mobil 93 in my cars.

Sponsored

TMully06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 F80 M3, 2020 Lincoln Navigator Black Label
I have experienced this. It happened when trying to get through a 6 month old tank of gas after being in storage for the winter. I did use fuel stabilizer... full tank of BP 93.

Was always between 2,500 & 3,500 rpm at moderate throttle. I assumed it was the gas as I have not noticed it since.

OP
OP
eric n

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Well they broke down my trans and found a broken spring, a hole in the bell housing and who knows what else. I was driving when the call came in so I didn't get the evil details.... They tell me that it might take as long as a month or more to get my new bell housing as it's back ordered.

Jim Burke Ford seems to be doing a great job and talked about loaning me a car (a focus). I'm bummed that it's taking so long, but the dealership is doing what they can and I really appreciate that. Hopefully, I'll be on the road in a month or so.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have experienced this. It happened when trying to get through a 6 month old tank of gas after being in storage for the winter. I did use fuel stabilizer... full tank of BP 93.

Was always between 2,500 & 3,500 rpm at moderate throttle. I assumed it was the gas as I have not noticed it since.
That is characteristic of this engine. You can see it on a dyno graph.
Sponsored