Another one bites the dust

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Many years ago I had my oil changed at a place like that, maybe it had that very same name :wink: and the smoothbrains working there forgot to put the oil cap back on after filling the oil. I drove home and noticed something was off with how my car was running. Looked under the hood and found the cap was missing. Called the lube shop but they lost the cap and really didn't seem to care, pretty much "oh well" was the response. I should have raised hell but I had too many other things going on and didn't have the bandwidth. I had to get a new cap from the dealership, and I've since learned how to change my own oil.

If you use a lube shop, (unless you know and trust them) it's wise to double check their work!
Like most "car guys" I do most work myself as I have over 4 decades of experience as a Master Tech. Despite knowing the "feel" of a properly tightened drain plug or oil filter and such, some things that I don't do often (or if it's a model I haven't worked on before) I use a torque wrench. The manufacturers designed & built the vehicle so if they put a spec on a fastener, it's there for a reason. I try to torque the drain plug (with a new gasket/crush washer each time) but sometimes I don't have the clearance unless I jack the vehicle up higher. But, that's only on something I hadn't done before; of course critical stuff I always torque (wheels, caliper mounting bolts, etc.)
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
It was both the dealer and Ford who got together and made that happen. Quite honestly, he deserved it. He almost got killed and he probably would have had he not dropped the car into 1st gear.
If I remember, he used to drive around with his kid(s) in that car. One lucky guy.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Maybe they had their oil changed at Jiffy Lube. I've seen a lot of Jiffy Lube oil filters that were barely finger-tight on Hondas, Toyotas, etc. It seems their guys don't know how to tighten oil filters properly.
I went there and they cross-threaded the oil pan threads. Destroyed the oil pan in my 1970 Mustang. They refused to do anything about it either. They left me with a rubber plug in my oil pan. I will never go to a place like that again.

I solved the problem with an engine swap. Totally worth it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm tired of people blaming their mistakes on the car. Unless you're deaf and blind, you'd notice the oil light before it locked up on you. This was someone driving way too fast, plain and simple.