Another one bites the dust

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This has all been beat to death before. 99 percent of these filters coming loose is because the filter was not installed correctly and torqued right. Whoever did the last oil change is at fault here, with 99 percent certainty.

And about stangmode...... Well not surprised he chose to make a video about it. He's not a lawyer, but instead was a do boy at a law firm. I wouldn't say he has a competent legal background, especially from the position of a competent legal position.

He's a YouTuber, and they all have that one thing in common.
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
And that’s Merch Merch Merch
..as for the oil filters, many many years ago Fram actually made some bad spin on motorcycle oil filters thst had bad threads and a few actually blew off while people were road racing. But that’s not what happened here.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Let’s really think about that . . . “if the filter comes completely off” statement.

The filter adapter has a threaded stud that is what at least 1” at the minimum and how many threads? How much vibration would it take for the filter to come completely off the filter adapter?

And prior to ANY screw on filter “coming completely off”, there would be definitive signs that:

1) the filter was previously loose after other drives, because the belly pan trap door would be leaving oil on the ground anywhere that car parked. Even if owner wasn’t attentive to seeing oil on the ground, the engine would be low on oil, or oil psi would be off from the norm.

2) if the filter did wriggle loose there would be oil burning smell and smoke after oil has sprayed a hot engine and/or exhaust manifolds @ “60 mph” - way before that filter would have completely unscrewed itself and fell off.

How long does it take for the oil filter to completely unscrew itself from the threaded stud from engine vibration until it just “falls completely off”? We’re talking actual revolutions of that filter unscrewing itself completely.

Why, if this is such a “known issue”, as SM states it to be, that:

1) The Ford Performance Racing School Track Pack Shelby’s weren’t loosing oil filters across the track (or leaving oil slicks, or drivers going off the track and wrecking)?

2) There’s absolutely NO NHTSA recalls for such a dangerous “defect”? If this problem was so detrimental, not only to the health of the engine, but to the safety of the driver and public, there would be an NHTSA investigation and subsequent recall.

3) There’s NO Class Action suits to date, 6 years after production regarding GT350 oil filters coming loose, unscrewing themselves and falling off OR causing accidents, fires, injury or death.

Even if the Owner did his own oil change and there was something amiss with the filter - upon instant start up of that engine, with oil instant pressure - there would be a blatant “oh shit” moment in the garage, driveway OR just backing the car out or pulling away.

In no way am I stating blame or down playing this owners unfortunate event - all I’m saying is - the statement made by SM that this wreck was the result of “a loose oil filter and driving all over oil” is not adding up, it just isn’t.

If you are traveling at 60mph and your oil filter comes loose, you’re going to know BEFORE it magically falls off AND common sense is going to tell you - you’re not continuing at that rate of speed, you’re slowing and pulling off the road.

Even if it’s possible that oil can spray a direct hit from the filter location onto the back side of the left front wheel - there’s still (3) more unaffected wheels still in contact with dry pavement with functional brakes that can still assist with slowing the momentum of the car.

Where was that wreck - anyone know the location or can do a geolocate off the photos? By the few posted images, was this a rural road where vehicles can open it up?

Not trying to start a bitchfest, I’m looking at it from a logical perspective and that’s the direction of the discussion

Here's a picture of a GT350 with an oil leak:

IMG_1196.jpg

It's kinda hard to miss.

This particular car had an oilway plug blow out on track and the oil went straight onto the headers and caught fire. The point I'm making is that if there's a gap anywhere in the oiling system, the high-volume oil pump and the 100psi+ pressure it produces will move a lot of oil out of the engine very quickly. If the spin-on filter gets loose, the gasket won't leak, instead it'll blow out and there will be a lot of oil coming out of the engine bay onto the underside of the car and the road.

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ‘19 GT350
I haven’t watched him in a while either, for different reasons.
As I remember he was/ is a Paralegal.
I watched several seasons of Law & Order, plus the GF made me watch Ally McBeal
. Does that make me a paralegal too?

Sponsored

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ‘19 GT350
Here's a picture of a GT350 with an oil leak:

IMG_1196.jpg

It's kinda hard to miss.

This particular car had an oilway plug blow out on track and the oil went straight onto the headers and caught fire. The point I'm making is that if there's a gap anywhere in the oiling system, the high-volume oil pump and the 100psi+ pressure it produces will move a lot of oil out of the engine very quickly. If the spin-on filter gets loose, the gasket won't leak, instead it'll blow out and there will be a lot of oil coming out of the engine bay onto the underside of the car and the road.
Looks more like a jet dragster to me.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I hit a pole going 45 mph in my 09 cts-v in 2018. Got lucky, 0 injuries other than an airbag burn and slightly sore wrist. I braced for impact with arms and legs and it worked for me. Kind of crazy what an extra 15-20 mph does. Also, trees have like 0 give. but this pole didnt give much either.

XjdjD1u.jpg

QxJgtzE.jpg

Driver side headlight was 70+ feet away in a ditch.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
wonder why no fire on the Oper s car? A filter that leaks that much should. Seem inevitable , No?

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Tough crowd.
My whole point of Stangmode being a Paralegal is he should know better. If in fact he was an errand boy for a law firm (hard to believe) he should still know better. If you hang around the legal community, you cannot help but pick things up.
I find it rather funny how those with such hatred for certain YouTubers know all about them. You cannot know what you don’t watch.
Keep in mind, there are a few here with YouTube channels.
The only reason I watched his channel was for information pertaining to the GT350. I also watched many others for the same reason. All I could get my hands on so to speak.
I begrudge nobody for finding a legal way to make money, this is still America.
There are a crap ton of ads on this very forum, so what, everyone sells something including us.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I hit a pole going 45 mph in my 09 cts-v in 2018. Got lucky, 0 injuries other than an airbag burn and slightly sore wrist. I braced for impact with arms and legs and it worked for me. Kind of crazy what an extra 15-20 mph does. Also, trees have like 0 give. but this pole didnt give much either.

XjdjD1u.jpg

QxJgtzE.jpg

Driver side headlight was 70+ feet away in a ditch.
Be careful, here come the “you don’t know how to drive” crowd.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Tough crowd.
My whole point of Stangmode being a Paralegal is he should know better. If in fact he was an errand boy for a law firm (hard to believe) he should still know better. If you hang around the legal community, you cannot help but pick things up.
I find it rather funny how those with such hatred for certain YouTubers know all about them. You cannot know what you don’t watch.
The only reason I watched his channel was for information pertaining to the GT350. I also watched many others for the same reason. All I could get my hands on so to speak.
There are a crap ton of ads on this very forum, so what, everyone sells something including us.
Tough crowd.
We ve seen tougher threads. I meant no disrespect in my post but sometimes things just don t seem right. Some people don t like to be taken for a ride so they question those things. I have not seen the u tube vids, I only view things occasional for research . Most of the time it s less than I knew, but a fun way to waste time, LOL. I ll respectfully stand as skeptical but would not call anyone a lier. If it was me and I could take pictures of myself inside the wreck you can be sure there would be pictures of the oil soaked area.