Sponsored

Always question the Ford Quick Lane Service w/ Oil Changes

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I would have only brought > 8 < quarts with, and still watched em like a hawk....
Sponsored

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
I've worked at a few dealers before and i ALWAYS tell people if they give a single crap about their car, DONT go there for oil changes. The lube line at dealerships is a decoy to bring you in so they can look over your car for more expensive repairs. They dont make money on oil changes and the employees who do that work are near min wage. They want cars in and out asap to get the next one in so corners are cut and mistakes are made quite frequently. I suggest finding a small independent shop if you want a place to change your oil. A place where they actually take their time with your car and not get you moving along in a hurry to get to the 4 cars waiting behind you.

OP
OP

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Is it best (for accuracy) to check the oil level when cold, or does it make much difference either way?
When it's cold will probably be the most accurate. You can also check 10-15 minutes after you turn your car off.

The point is to have all the oil settle in the oil pan when you check it.

OP
OP

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have only brought > 8 < quarts with, and still watched em like a hawk....
I mean it makes sense but when you buy individual quarts they're like $5-$6 each. I guess it's best to pay extra so these monkeys don't have to do any kind of math exercises with 10 quarts of oil

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I mean it makes sense but when you buy individual quarts they're like $5-$6 each. I guess it's best to pay extra so these monkeys don't have to do any kind of math exercises with 10 quarts of oil
So why not drain 2 quarts out of one of the 5-qt bottles before handing them over to the service tech? Insist on getting at least one of the 5-qt bottles back for long-term storage of those 2 qts if all you had handy to put the 2 in was clean and dry but not specifically for oil.

Norm

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I've worked at a few dealers before and i ALWAYS tell people if they give a single crap about their car, DONT go there for oil changes. The lube line at dealerships is a decoy to bring you in so they can look over your car for more expensive repairs. They dont make money on oil changes and the employees who do that work are near min wage. They want cars in and out asap to get the next one in so corners are cut and mistakes are made quite frequently. I suggest finding a small independent shop if you want a place to change your oil. A place where they actually take their time with your car and not get you moving along in a hurry to get to the 4 cars waiting behind you.
You nailed it. I have worked in a dealership for almost 20 years now and a few with independent shops before that. In most dealerships, the driving principle is profit under a disguise of an "excellent customer experience". Gone is the idea that you come to the dealership to get proper, quality, manufacturer recommended service to your vehicle. Now its "weve got coffee, wifi, comfortable waiting rooms, big screen tvs, bounce houses etc...." The balance of reliability, knowledge, honesty, experience and profit is mostly history. They want the cheapest labor they can find and aren't concerned about whether said person knows anything about cars. They just want a warm body to do what they are told. Service advisors!...HA...they are service SALESadvisors. It amazes me how so many of them know precious little about cars and yet they are the ones that are suppose to help advise the customer on their vehicle needs.

Its a fast food drive thru. Get em in, up-sale the heck out of stuff it doesn't need(or does) and get em out. I hate what this business has become. Disclaimer: I'm sure there are some good ones left out there and this isn't intended to disrespect them in any way. Keep fighting the good fight....I just hate to see what my reality has become.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So why not drain 2 quarts out of one of the 5-qt bottles before handing them over to the service tech? Insist on getting at least one of the 5-qt bottles back for long-term storage of those 2 qts if all you had handy to put the 2 in was clean and dry but not specifically for oil.

Norm
because for these guys to use my own oil it has to be "unopened" - that's the only thing

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
When it's cold will probably be the most accurate. You can also check 10-15 minutes after you turn your car off.

The point is to have all the oil settle in the oil pan when you check it.
I will add, it is best to always check the oil level under the same circumstances. Whether its after sitting overnight, or 20min after your drive home from work, you'll want an apples to apples comparison.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have always changed my own oil but recently I took my 2017 F150 Coyote for inspection. The local Ford dealer said I had a free oil change so I had them change the oil drove home checked dipsick and no oil showing! They put six quarts instead of eight!

Reactions: Why

Sponsored
OP
OP

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have always changed my own oil but recently I took my 2017 F150 Coyote for inspection. The local Ford dealer said I had a free oil change so I had them change the oil drove home checked dipsick and no oil showing! They put six quarts instead of eight!
That's what I'm saying. I have a 2016 Ecoboost F150 with the 3.5 and it asks for 6 quarts. They probably thought yours was an ecoboost? Come on guys

schenoy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015. Ruby Red
This is why I do my own oil changes. They hire morons as techs most of the time. I'd rather know the oil filter is properly tightened and not over tightened and the right amount of oil is put in the car.

The Femco valve someone suggested adding on this forum is awesome. No reason for me not to do my own changes. Now if only the filter was as much of a breeze as it is draining the oil directly into the storage container to take to Auto Zone for recycling.

The only time I'll ever see a dealer is for a major warranty issue.
Years ago I saw an expose' like on 20/20 type of show, and they showed on hidden camera the mistakes the Quick Oil change techs make. And the b.s. recommendations that your wipers were bad, or air filters, etc. They are supposed to push the upgrades whether you need them or not.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
We all know that it’s not the master techs in the oil change line. Why you would trust your vehicle to somebody like that is beyond me. Something tells me that the mental gymnastics needed to take 2 quarts from 10 quarts will put these guys into some sort of coma.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Here we go again. "NO ONE will take care of your car the way you do NO ONE" That being said these guys with the problems of too much oil , not enough oil, wrong oil filter, this happened at the dealer that happened at the dealer. All I can say to that is get off your ass and do it yourself. Not only will you do it right there Is no satisfaction like having done the job yourself. As far as warranty work if something breaks or goes south then yes go to the dealer for service. They know how to fix it or are supposed to know. The less these oil change techs touch your car the better. No scratches, no dings, no oil smears, NO PROBLEM. and I'm 75 years old so no excuse. Do your own oil changes you will be better off in the long run.

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I sometimes get lazy and take my vehicles to a quick change oil place.
They are very professional there, and I specifically ask for synthetic oil, they get the Mobil 1 and show me the jugs before adding it. They ask me to start it up and let it idle for about a minute and check for any leaks and then ask me to shut it off. They pull the dipstick and wipe it off, do some paperwork and make me a decal with my mileage and the date for my windshield. Then they put the dipstick in and pull it out and actually walk to the drivers window and show it to me to very it is full. This way i get to drive it in and out, and sit in it during the oil change. I find them extremely professional. If it is okay to mention the business name, it is Great Canadian oil change. I sure wouldn't lump all quick lubes as poor quality.
They also have the guy in the pit check my underside for leaks or issues, and the guy up top checks my other fluids and looks at the belts etc. I then get a copy of the check list of the items. Now that said, I wouldn't let 99% of Ford dealers ever do an oil change, they scare me with how stupid they are.
Sponsored