Always question the Ford Quick Lane Service w/ Oil Changes

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I mean it makes sense but when you buy individual quarts they're like $5-$6 each. I guess it's best to pay extra so these monkeys don't have to do any kind of math exercises with 10 quarts of oil
So far...I have been lucky with my local Ford dealer in Medford. I have sent 3 Fords there. Oil changes are done correctly using the regular Ford oil and changed every 5,000 miles. My vert is not track run.
CVCashmere
Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
My father taught me to change the oil & plugs on a 1971 LTD w/towing pack. I had the dealer change my oil a few times, then the service Mgr. asked me not to bother the techs in the bay, so I went to Firestone and got my last service there, $90.00 for a simple change, never again, I'll handle it from now on. Cold check is the way I roll.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A quick check of the dipstick when you get home is peace of mind. Better yet, do it yourself.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A quick check of the dipstick when you get home
Don't even leave the lot. Otherwise they could claim you did any overfilling (or draining). Don't leave them any wiggle room.

Norm

Reactions: Why

Deleted member 35644

I've been changing the oil in my own vehicles for YEARS because I trust no-one. A few weeks ago, I was at my family's for the weekend, and my sister-in-law asked me to take her '17 Mustang EB for an oil change. If I'd had my ramps, or any of my tools, I would've done it myself. I debated Kwik Kar, but wanted to use a Motorcraft filter, so I went to the dealership.

Spent about 45 minutes washing the car afterward, and when I checked the oil, it was below the ADD line. Went back to have them top it off, and someone blurted out that they'd used Mobil 1 5W-20.

I'd say, just going by the odds, due to how many years it's been since I've been ANYWHERE to have an oil change done, and the one I have done is f'd up in a multitude of ways, that there are a lot of oil changes being botched. No Thank You to any more of that.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
A quick check of the dipstick when you get home is peace of mind. Better yet, do it yourself.
No, a quick check before driving off the lot is peace of mind. They may have forgot to put oil in or like the brand new '73 Dodge I bought that the bone dry trans seized up before it ever made it home, they may claim you must have stopped and drained the oil out a block from the dealer - I kid you not.

Last edited:

PnyKix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Theresa
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Thank goodness my son-in-law is able to do my oil changes, etc., for me because I don't trust anyone else touching my Mustang! A couple of months ago he was doing my annual state inspection and noticed that my coolant was extremely low and leaking from the hoses. Since the car is still under warranty I had no other option than to take it to my local dealer complete with pictures in a report of the problem hoses/areas provided by my SIL . They immediately took it in and performed the "repairs" right in the service line and I was assured that clamps were replaced and the coolant was topped off....problem solved. Silly me was trusting and didn't immediately verify the repairs and a few days later noticed that the coolant level was once again low....oddly at the same level as when I took it in. I had to physically show the service tech the leak coming from the back lower hose and he acted like he didn't even know a hose was located there. He was probably flustered after I asked him to please stop leaning on the side of my car with no protection on the paint. After another service trip and complete replacement of the cooling tank and all hoses and clamps things are fine and lesson learned. Don't rely on service at the dealer and if you do camp out at the service bay and make sure things are done correctly!!

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
No, a quick check before driving off the lot is peace of mind. They may have forgot to put oil in or like the brand new '73 Dodge I bought that the bone dry trans seized up before it ever made it home, they may claim you must have stopped and drained the oil out a block from the dealer - I kid you not.
Like you, if I for some reason ever had to let a dealer change the oil in my vehicle, I would check it before starting it to leave. Had a brake job done on my 2014 F150 in 2017 at a Ford dealer, they not only did a terrible job of the brakes, they didn't even properly tighten the lug nuts when putting the tires back on.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've "Camped Out" watching the "Tech's" and was told by the service Mgr. to stop bothering them. So, I don't have my car serviced there anymore.

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I've "Camped Out" watching the "Tech's" and was told by the service Mgr. to stop bothering them. So, I don't have my car serviced there anymore.
They obviously have something to hide.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Just changed the oil myself for the first time in the 18 months I've owned the car. I bought a service plan...old habit from a few cars back and got a good deal on it along w/the extended warranty, so the dealer had been doing the services. Last time, my car almost slipped off the four-post lift due to the technician not paying attention to what he was doing...and I had greasy hand prints all over the car. So I decided I'll do it myself from now on.

And here's why you don't trust the dealer/quick-lane.
IMG_20181020_173723504.jpg

First three threads completely stripped out. My 3/8" ratchet handle is a good 12" long. I really had to PULL to break the bolt loose. WTF? :curse: It came loose, I started turning it and...it got tight. Oh sh!t. I know what that feeling means. TELL ME my oil pan isn't stripped. Luckily, the oil pan seems fine. Got up close with a flashlight and peered at the threads/stuck my finger in there. The replacement drain plug went in smoothly, so I'll call it good. Yep, I had a replacement on hand already. Luckily I prepared for this possibility and bought a replacement last week. This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWLDFEM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It fits perfectly. I just bought another one, just in case. Obviously, the dealer put the drain plug back in with either an impact gun or cordless driver of some kind with the torque ring cranked up. :explode:

Lesson learned here, fellow enthusiasts. DIY. :flag:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just changed the oil myself for the first time in the 18 months I've owned the car. I bought a service plan...old habit from a few cars back and got a good deal on it along w/the extended warranty, so the dealer had been doing the services. Last time, my car almost slipped off the four-post lift due to the technician not paying attention to what he was doing...and I had greasy hand prints all over the car. So I decided I'll do it myself from now on.

And here's why you don't trust the dealer/quick-lane.
IMG_20181020_173723504.jpg

First three threads completely stripped out. My 3/8" ratchet handle is a good 12" long. I really had to PULL to break the bolt loose. WTF? :curse: It came loose, I started turning it and...it got tight. Oh sh!t. I know what that feeling means. TELL ME my oil pan isn't stripped. Luckily, the oil pan seems fine. Got up close with a flashlight and peered at the threads/stuck my finger in there. The replacement drain plug went in smoothly, so I'll call it good. Yep, I had a replacement on hand already. Luckily I prepared for this possibility and bought a replacement last week. This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWLDFEM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It fits perfectly. I just bought another one, just in case. Obviously, the dealer put the drain plug back in with either an impact gun or cordless driver of some kind with the torque ring cranked up. :explode:

Lesson learned here, fellow enthusiasts. DIY. :flag:
I always install an oil drain valve on the cars I own.

Advantages (in no order):

1. They make oil changes easier and much cleaner since they allow the use of a hose from the valve to a container. Many don't even require a tool to operate.
  2. They make it simple to extract a small amount of oil for analysis.
  3. If you use extra oil in a vehicle on track days (my ATS requires that, for example), it makes it easy to remove the extra.
  4. They eliminate the chance of stripping drain plug threads or drain plug gaskets leaking.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-drain-valves.55750/

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Know what? I saw your thread about the Femco valve and almost ordered one. I am afraid of running something over and catching the valve. :( My daily commute involves about 60 miles on the most notorious interstate in Texas, IH35. Almost daily I swerve to avoid crap in the road. And this is Texas-sized crap. Pallets, mattresses, appliances, animals (live and dead), furniture, coolers (a Texas favorite) and bits and pieces of all the above. Often I "run over" things in the road b/c I know it'll fit under the car and I can't change lanes b/c I've got someone on either side of me. Losing another inch of clearance when I'm already lowered would be a real negative for me, unfortunately.

Ironically, my other vehicle is an F150 with the off-road package and I have like 12" of clearance and don't even move if it isn't "dog-sized or better." :D

The drain valve will probably make it to the F150 though, now that I'm changing my own oil. Thanks, HoosierDaddy.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@HoosierDaddy : Is the pin that keeps the oil from draining out spring-loaded, or is it just gravity/weight of oil that keeps the valve closed when the drain fitting isn't on there? I wouldn't want oil leaking out on bumpy roads b/c the valve was flopping open/closed. Probably a silly question, but I need to know. For the truck, it seems like a no-brainer to me to get the Femco valve.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Oh...they have low-profile drain plugs. Very convenient...I may have to join the club, HD. Saw your review on Amazon BTW. :) Very nice.
Sponsored