Sponsored

Always question the Ford Quick Lane Service w/ Oil Changes

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Went by my ford dealership yesterday to get oil change done. I bought 2- 5 quart jugs (10 quarts) with me of the oil that I wanted them to put in.

I don't normally let these guys touch anything else as I'm on Whipple Stage 2 and I don't want these guys to mess anything up. I asked for a simple drain, replace oil filter and fill with oil I provide.

When my car pulled up, I went up to the techs to be a little closer to the action and I watched them fill up my car with all 10 quarts of oil. Mind you my car is a 2015 GT and it only takes 8 quarts.

I told them the car only took 8 and they are 2 quarts over. At which point they started arguing with me that my car is a track pack etc bla bla bla and it took 10 quarts.

I had them look it up and sure enough it's only 8 quarts.

With 18 GT's (which I believe are 10 quarts) and GT 350's which are also 10 quarts. I think the 15-17 guys should be double checking and asking their techs as to how much oil they're putting in their cars.

Crazy to me to think how many cars are rolling out of quick lane with 2 quarts of oil too much
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Went by my ford dealership yesterday to get oil change done. I bought 2- 1 gallon jugs (10 quarts) with me of the oil that I wanted them to put in.

I don't normally let these guys touch anything else as I'm on Whipple Stage 2 and I don't want these guys to mess anything up. I asked for a simple drain, replace oil filter and fill with oil I provide.

When my car pulled up, I went up to the techs to be a little closer to the action and I watched them fill up my car with all 10 quarts of oil. Mind you my car is a 2015 GT and it only takes 8 quarts.

I told them the car only took 8 and they are 2 quarts over. At which point they started arguing with me that my car is a track pack etc bla bla bla and it took 10 quarts.

I had them look it up and sure enough it's only 8 quarts.

With 18 GT's (which I believe are 10 quarts) and GT 350's which are also 10 quarts. I think the 15-17 guys should be double checking and asking their techs as to how much oil they're putting in their cars.

Crazy to me to think how many cars are rolling out of quick lane with 2 quarts of oil too much

Or 2018 with two quarts too low. Why on earth are you guys going to a dealer for an oil change!!!!!

When I bought my car I told them they will most likely never see me again. Fleet sale with no lease and no obligation to go back there. Those “techs” have less knowledge than the guys at your local jiffy lube. They - and yes I went there instead - talked about the Mustang and some of their own cars they modded up (one guy actually showed me his mods right there in back).

If push came to shove I would just change my own oil and get an arm full of oil as I don’t remove the splash plate under the engine. Taking your car to a dealer for regular service is madness. Take those free alignments and oil changes the dealer gave you at delivery and shove them in the garbage. They are only out to make more money off you. One member here just took his car in for tire rotation and ended up with a smashed up car and had to buy another one from these guys. Stay away from the dealer unless there is a legitimate problem they have to fix!!!!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This is why I do my own oil changes. They hire morons as techs most of the time. I'd rather know the oil filter is properly tightened and not over tightened and the right amount of oil is put in the car.

The Femco valve someone suggested adding on this forum is awesome. No reason for me not to do my own changes. Now if only the filter was as much of a breeze as it is draining the oil directly into the storage container to take to Auto Zone for recycling.

The only time I'll ever see a dealer is for a major warranty issue.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is why I do my own oil changes. They hire morons as techs most of the time. I'd rather know the oil filter is properly tightened and not over tightened and the right amount of oil is put in the car.
At least be able to put the new one on so this doesn't happen. a thousand miles later . . . (crimp from some sort of filter removal tool used to install).

full.jpg

In fairness to Ford, this wasn't one of theirs. But it happened two times out of 3 and I ended up throwing away on "free" oil change. Up to that point, my wife was hoping I could finally stop doing some of the "car work".

Norm

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
At least be able to put the new one on so this doesn't happen. a thousand miles later . . . (crimp from some sort of filter removal tool used to install).

In fairness to Ford, this wasn't one of theirs. But it happened two times out of 3 and I ended up throwing away on "free" oil change. Up to that point, my wife was hoping I could finally stop doing some of the "car work".

Norm
Yep. All it takes is a hand tighten. 9 times out of 10, I need a filter tool because it was over tightened to begin with.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I bought my car new at the dealer. Since then, it hasn't been back other than for when the PCM croaked. At that time, they did a free oil change.

Ever since I use a trusted shop that I do business with. I know everyone there and they do excellent work. Plus, that way the maintenance is tracked and if someone wants to raise a stink about it not showing on the Carfax, I can have them print every single thing they've ever done to that car out. I'd like to do all the maintenance at my own shop, but I ran into an issue in the past with a car where the defense was, "Well it's YOUR shop...you can print out an invoice that says whatever". So....I go this route to prevent that now.

I find the dealer to be a rip-off. 9 times out of 10 they don't do the work they say they do, and they also treat the car like crap.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Yup I’m done with the dealer. I got a couple free oil changes with them and every time I’d ask for Full Synthetic and I’d pay the difference. They kept saying I don’t need the Full and ... I gave up.

Reactions: Why

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. All it takes is a hand tighten. 9 times out of 10, I need a filter tool because it was over tightened to begin with.
That's right. I've done well over 50 oil changes in my lifetime and only once had a filter seep oil from being hand tightened. On a Honda. And in that situation, there was something out of spec with the filter itself, maybe the seal depth? Very rare.

Now getting a filter off? I've used different tools and most are mediocre at best. A big pair of channel-lock pliers works pretty well. The last resort is driving a screwdriver thru the filter itself and using it like a handle. I've had to do that once.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I bought my car new at the dealer. Since then, it hasn't been back other than for when the PCM croaked. At that time, they did a free oil change.

Ever since I use a trusted shop that I do business with. I know everyone there and they do excellent work. Plus, that way the maintenance is tracked and if someone wants to raise a stink about it not showing on the Carfax, I can have them print every single thing they've ever done to that car out. I'd like to do all the maintenance at my own shop, but I ran into an issue in the past with a car where the defense was, "Well it's YOUR shop...you can print out an invoice that says whatever". So....I go this route to prevent that now.

I find the dealer to be a rip-off. 9 times out of 10 they don't do the work they say they do, and they also treat the car like crap.
Even with Carfax I've found that to be sketchy. There's even times where I've seen vehicles that had major body repairs done (even ones I wasn't driving but owned in the past) not show accidents reported even though it went through insurance. I see both sides of it, but even with that I'm hesitant with Carfax histories. Another reason why I only buy new cars. Unless I know the person as a friend, or they can show me a solid maintenance record on a used vehicle documented somewhere, I wouldn't be interested.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Or 2018 with two quarts too low. Why on earth are you guys going to a dealer for an oil change!!!!!

When I bought my car I told them they will most likely never see me again. Fleet sale with no lease and no obligation to go back there. Those “techs” have less knowledge than the guys at your local jiffy lube. They - and yes I went there instead - talked about the Mustang and some of their own cars they modded up (one guy actually showed me his mods right there in back).

If push came to shove I would just change my own oil and get an arm full of oil as I don’t remove the splash plate under the engine. Taking your car to a dealer for regular service is madness. Take those free alignments and oil changes the dealer gave you at delivery and shove them in the garbage. They are only out to make more money off you. One member here just took his car in for tire rotation and ended up with a smashed up car and had to buy another one from these guys. Stay away from the dealer unless there is a legitimate problem they have to fix!!!!

Its just a mustang. Nothing fancy. I have a warranty. I go to the dealer because I am to lazy to change the oil on my dd. And if the dealer fucks it, the dealer can fix it. Simple enough.

That said, im shocked the dealer was willing to change the oil with customer provided parts. That is where they make their money on the service, not on labor.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I got two years free maintenance with my 2018 GT purchase.... that said my quick lane at my Ford dealer has always been spot on. I know most of the techs personally. I have not been for my first OC yet on the 18. See if they make the 8/10 court mistake and I have to say something.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
You know, it doesn't take an Einstein to change oil in a car. Sadly, some dealers don't even try to find Einstein's cousin to change oil in their customers car. Luckily my dealer has very good personal to do the job.

And, thanks for the tip of taking your own oil. Paying for 10 quarts at the dealer should prove devastatingly high. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Its just a mustang. Nothing fancy. I have a warranty. I go to the dealer because I am to lazy to change the oil on my dd. And if the dealer fucks it, the dealer can fix it. Simple enough.
Good luck with that. Unless the invoice specifically lists that 8 quarts was put into an engine that calls for 10, you've got nothing. Even if it does show 8 where 10 is needed, you're still in for a bit of a battle where Ford/the dealership is probably going to argue that it didn't fail until you let it drop still further, or that your driving constituted 'abuse' by excessive g-forces uncovering the pickup.

If you must let a shop do your oil changes - check level or quantity used yourself before leaving the dealership property and argue about it then, when it's all on them without any doubt whatsoever.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think the 15-17 guys should be double checking and asking their techs as to how much oil they're putting in their cars.

For ANY year, make, model, etc. you can't be sure they put the right amount in. Likewise you can't be sure they will correctly tell you the amount they actually put in. Impossible to be sure of the right amount without owner checking the oil level themselves.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Is it best (for accuracy) to check the oil level when cold, or does it make much difference either way?
Sponsored