Sponsored

AJ Hartman Aero - 18+ Canards

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Not only that, but for CAM classes an aftermarket spoiler is ok, but a wing of any type (if not fitted from factory) isn't allowed.
There's number of people using GT500 replica wing from Anderson saying they're OEM equivalent (and same with Camaros using ZLE wing).
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
There's number of people using GT500 replica wing from Anderson saying they're OEM equivalent (and same with Camaros using ZLE wing).
Yes equivalents are generally acceptable, bu tneither of those are really that fantastic given the low speeds. I'm looking at a new option this year for CAMC aero with a homemade splitter up front and a large rear spoiler idea I'm still developing in my head.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yes equivalents are generally acceptable, bu tneither of those are really that fantastic given the low speeds. I'm looking at a new option this year for CAMC aero with a homemade splitter up front and a large rear spoiler idea I'm still developing in my head.
Oh - I know - beside legality of these is questionable but it's not something I'd ever lose my sleep over. I still haven't gotten to even real autocross spoiler or decently sized splitter and doubt I will for next season, so I am not worried about wings at all.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
There were raised eyebrows at Nats around the GT running the GT500 wing. My impression was that people didn't think that was allowed (Shelby != GT for parts transferability purposes). The car wasn't placing very high in the results, so nobody wanted to rain on his parade with a pointless protest in this case.

With the Camaros (and Shelbys) having wings from the factory, I do personally think they should allow them on the rest of the cars, but IDK if that's how the rules are currently written. I do think the aftermarket wings are basically OEM equivalent versus buying an OEM one at full Ford/GM markup price.

I was kind of pleased to see Schotz running a lexan spoiler on his ZL1 1LE build he took to nationals. IDK why the spoiler vs wing, even though he could obviously have kept the stock wing. Didn't ask why.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
There were raised eyebrows at Nats around the GT running the GT500 wing. My impression was that people didn't think that was allowed (Shelby != GT for parts transferability purposes). The car wasn't placing very high in the results, so nobody wanted to rain on his parade with a pointless protest in this case.

With the Camaros (and Shelbys) having wings from the factory, I do personally think they should allow them on the rest of the cars, but IDK if that's how the rules are currently written. I do think the aftermarket wings are basically OEM equivalent versus buying an OEM one at full Ford/GM markup price.

I was kind of pleased to see Schotz running a lexan spoiler on his ZL1 1LE build he took to nationals. IDK why the spoiler vs wing, even though he could obviously have kept the stock wing. Didn't ask why.
I have to imagine that a 10" rules legal spoiler would be more effective at the sub 80mph speeds at most events even with the drag penalty.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I think it's at least questionable, would be nice if this got clarified but Raleigh seems to be staying silent on any rule interpretations and I don't think it'll change. I think they're interpreting it as S550 is an S550.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I have to imagine that a 10" rules legal spoiler would be more effective at the sub 80mph speeds at most events even with the drag penalty.
The extra drag helps, because it adds stability. It's meaningless in terms of a top-speed loss when your straights are never higher than 3rd gear/mid revs.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
The extra drag helps, because it adds stability. It's meaningless in terms of a top-speed loss when your straights are never higher than 3rd gear/mid revs.
That's what I've always heard about spoilers in autox applications. They help plant the rear end for high speed transitions so you can set the car up extra loose for low speed stuff but it will settle down at high speed. Works even better on FWD cars where loose at low speed helps counter the inherent understeer issues.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I've always heard about spoilers in autox applications. They help plant the rear end for high speed transitions so you can set the car up extra loose for low speed stuff but it will settle down at high speed. Works even better on FWD cars where loose at low speed helps counter the inherent understeer issues.
With autox traction circles, you also spend a lot of time at part-throttle, where that excess available torque on tap can just push through any extra drag from the spoiler.

Yeah, you're always going to set the car up to readily rotate at low speeds in autox. Without a spoiler you just try to hang on at high speeds and not make any big mistakes. With the slight shift in aero balance to underster from the spoiler, it is more confidence inspiring to drive.

With enough front aero to balance out the autox spoiler, you loose the forgiving understeer, but you get a balanced addition of grip, which works better for fast courses, not just fast sections.
Sponsored