AIRAID no-tune CAI didn't play well with my car

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
It's been said, but on 93 octane you should make 435 to the crank. Your car won't run Max timing stock, without it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
It's been said, but on 93 octane you should make 435 to the crank. Your can won't run Max timing stock, without it.
This has nothing to do with his CAI.

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
This has nothing to do with his CAI.
The original poster stated that the car felt slower with the new intake installed. He also stated that the car was on 87 octane. I stated the car is rated at 435 HP on 93 octane. Because of maps involved and how the ECU works. I would put 93 octane fuel in the car and re-evaluate his thoughts on the intake again. After he tries it on 93 octane? Do you not feel that's relevant to his concerns?

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hi all,

I drove the car until I had only 8 miles of range left...wanted the gas tank good and empty. Filled up with 93 octane and then...drove 20 minutes at 20MPH in traffic. :frusty: The one time I really wanted to put my foot in it (OK, so that's really all the time, but you know....) and I couldn't.

But I've got a 40-mile drive each way to work tomorrow and in the morning I'm on open interstate. :clap2:

I ask questions here b/c I value your experience. But I have to be honest; what my butt-dyno and ears felt and heard with the Airaid CAI...I just don't see how 93 octane is going to magically fix that. I've never driven anyone else's S550/GT but I can tell you that motor-wise, I think I got a good one. The engine simply went into beast mode after I got the FP Borla catback. It was like pulling a cork out or something. The Airaid just made it feel like the cork was back in with Crazy Glue.

With the stock airbox the car lunges forward and pulls hard and sounds beastly. The Airaid killed the lunge, the acceleration and the sound. Yes, it was tested on 87 octane but still....I may have to just put the Airaid back on after a few tanks of 93 just to prove or disprove whether it was the gas or not.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
This has been discussed many times and in many threads that for this particular engine going from 87 to 93 it's between 3 to 5% that you're going to lose and horsepower vs the EcoBoost motor which loses 18 - 20%.. also the kam or keep alive memory should be reset when adding an intake so I can adjust the fuel trims for the new intake.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
If you add more air in your engine then it will have more power so if you use low octane gas with the new found power the engine will knock thus retarding timing and will hurt your performance. The stock ecu and the stock air box are tune to work properly with all types of gas. And ford has stated that using 87oct will decrease 1% horsepower by seeing dyno runs its much more.
If you mod your car in your case cramping up more air please use a higher octane so that your engine doesnt knock.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
That's a Dog Sh*t answer, tell someone that $350 intake needs 87>93 octane to get something out of it. Complete baloney answer that only covers up the fact that a CAI in and of itself on these cars is a total waste of money.
I hate this BBK I have, total waste and they're all the same basic short-ram intake design, not a single one innovates anything over the next. And don't look at the gauges and notice that at 80mph you're still reading at least 6 over ambient. I mean no one thinks this is cold air but knowing what it read with the stock air box...no difference.
My PMAS made a noticeable difference and runs at 1 or 2 degrees over ambient in combo with a Velossa BigMoith and a Gt350 airbox snorkel.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I ask questions here b/c I value your experience. But I have to be honest; what my butt-dyno and ears felt and heard with the Airaid CAI...I just don't see how 93 octane is going to magically fix that. I've never driven anyone else's S550/GT but I can tell you that motor-wise, I think I got a good one. The engine simply went into beast mode after I got the FP Borla catback. It was like pulling a cork out or something. The Airaid just made it feel like the cork was back in with Crazy Glue.

With the stock airbox the car lunges forward and pulls hard and sounds beastly. The Airaid killed the lunge, the acceleration and the sound. Yes, it was tested on 87 octane but still....I may have to just put the Airaid back on after a few tanks of 93 just to prove or disprove whether it was the gas or not.
I think you need a new butt dyno. If you installed a cat back and the car went into 'beast mode', your dyno is broke. It's been proven over and over that catbacks do nothing. To add to that, you are the only person to come on here and say their car is slower with the Airaid.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
I'm going to put mine on this upcoming Monday and see what that feels like, I don't think there will be a negative difference though.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I think you need a new butt dyno. If you installed a cat back and the car went into 'beast mode', your dyno is broke. It's been proven over and over that catbacks do nothing. To add to that, you are the only person to come on here and say their car is slower with the Airaid.
There is always a gain with a proper catback with an x pipe vs the stock exhaust with the h pipe suitcase design. Mostly on the upper rpms. Crossflow exhausts do really help. However can it be felt by a buttdyno? There is no way! Infact the car feels slower because its screaming like its doing something but going no where. I also use airaid but never tested on a stock tune. With lund flex tune, and borla s type though its a pretty good setup.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
There is always a gain with a proper catback with an x pipe vs the stock exhaust with the h pipe suitcase design. Mostly on the upper rpms. Crossflow exhausts do really help. However can it be felt by a buttdyno? There is no way! Infact the car feels slower because its screaming like its doing something but going no where. I also use airaid but never tested on a stock tune. With lund flex tune, and borla s type though its a pretty good setup.
I'll clarify then - they do nothing that you will notice while driving. ;) I had a derease of 5whp when I had to put my stock catback on vs my FRPP/Borla on the same dyno. Weather was also 10 degrees warmer. As you said, no butt dyno is ever going to notice that.

I've had Airaid, JLT, Steeda (for sale - want to buy?), and now GT350 intakes.... No appreciable difference between any except for intake temps when staging. For that Airaid and GT350 have been the best.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This thread has got me curious. I wonder if OP didn't install it properly or has a vacuum leak or something. It shouldn't be noticeably more sluggish. If anything you'd see a benefit or no change. I'd say if it's noticeably worse something might have gone wrong.

Sub'd for more feedback.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I'll clarify then - they do nothing that you will notice while driving. ;) I had a derease of 5whp when I had to put my stock catback on vs my FRPP/Borla on the same dyno. Weather was also 10 degrees warmer. As you said, no butt dyno is ever going to notice that.

I've had Airaid, JLT, Steeda (for sale - want to buy?), and now GT350 intakes.... No appreciable difference between any except for intake temps when staging. For that Airaid and GT350 have been the best.
Lol i also had Steeda, then airaid midpipe, then mishi tube, and now airaid. We spend so much money on these cars its unreal. I also did notice the temps are really good with airaid. Steeda was the worst! It was creeping up couple of degrees every second on a hot summer day. I can't imagine waiting at the strip with hood closed for your turn to come. If you are already above 120 degree of iat then the car starts pulling timing at the starting line.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
When switching fuel you need to give the computer time to relearn. It won't immediately and magically wake up the second you put 93 in. Same goes for the CAI.

For the record, I am running a AirRaid on my 17 GT PP, have always used 93 and found a noticeable improvement overall after the AirRaid install. For those that say the CAI doesn't affect exhaust note, I noticed a difference in my stock exhaust note immediately and for the better. Could be a placebo effect, but nonetheless, noticed.

Is the OP sure he didn't leave a block of packing styrofoam or cardboard in the intake tube choking off the air? :shrug: Something sounds amiss.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
There is also some miss information regarding the synthamax and synthaflow version of these intakes. The synthaflow can provide upto 800 cfm while synthamax (dry) can only go up to 542 cfm. Airaid clearly states that synthaflow version is more power capable but some websites selling these intakes showing synthamax delivering more power and torque than the synthaflow (oiled). I don't think that's accurate. It should be the opposite. Now stock filter is if i remember right is capable of 325 cfm. K&N drop in is around 425 cfm, and AFE pro 5r drop in is around 547 cfm.
Sponsored