OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I get a kick out of some of these responses. For some reason, some folks think that if anyone posts an experience or opinion dissimilar from their own, that the person is either nuts, a neophyte, never driven a car before etc. Folks, I posted my experience nothing more or less. I felt what I felt, heard what I heard, etc.

The fact that when I mashed the gas with the Airaid and the car barely accelerated, as compared to how it reacted with the stock intake at same speed/rpms is real and absolutely seen/heard/felt.

I can assure you all that I installed it correctly. It's not rebuilding an auto trans, folks. ;) I don't think I had any vacuum leaks as all breather hoses clicked solidly into place and I double checked everything. I also had no CELs, so if I had a vacuum leak, I'd probably have had at least one CEL or other abnormality.

I'm happy for those that installed the Airaid CAI and noticed immediate, positive effects. It just didn't work out that way for me.

So I've got 80 miles on the car with a tank of 93. Feels great so far.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
When switching fuel you need to give the computer time to relearn. It won't immediately and magically wake up the second you put 93 in. Same goes for the CAI.

For the record, I am running a AirRaid on my 17 GT PP, have always used 93 and found a noticeable improvement overall after the AirRaid install. For those that say the CAI doesn't affect exhaust note, I noticed a difference in my stock exhaust note immediately and for the better. Could be a placebo effect, but nonetheless, noticed.

Is the OP sure he didn't leave a block of packing styrofoam or cardboard in the intake tube choking off the air? :shrug: Something sounds amiss.
I drove it for two weeks, about 800 miles and five fillups/tanks of gas. All 87 octane, but 5 tanks of gas from two different gas stations. I gave it a fair evaluation IMO. And I know what Styrofoam looks like. ;)

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
The fact that when I mashed the gas with the Airaid and the car barely accelerated, as compared to how it reacted with the stock intake at same speed/rpms is real and absolutely seen/heard/felt
If that was indeed the case, something was wrong. You may want to blame the intake, but one car doesn't suddenly react differently than all others, all things being equal.

Good luck. :shrug:

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm not saying your car wont perform better on higher octane fuel. These cars have adaptive timing. They'll adjust the timing to what ever octane you put in them.

What im saying is changing octane isn't going to magically fix your no-tune CAI. The problem is the so called no tune CAI, not the fuel.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The original poster stated that the car felt slower with the new intake installed. He also stated that the car was on 87 octane. I stated the car is rated at 435 HP on 93 octane. Because of maps involved and how the ECU works. I would put 93 octane fuel in the car and re-evaluate his thoughts on the intake again. After he tries it on 93 octane? Do you not feel that's relevant to his concerns?
Its not relevant because the effectiveness of a no tune CAI isn't dependant on 93 ocatane. Otherwise it would require a tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Its not relevant because the effectiveness of a no tune CAI isn't dependant on 93 ocatane. Otherwise it would require a tune.
Thank you. This is part of my logic/explanation. After the initial installation of the CAI, despite the fact I had no CELs I was under the hood...at least half a dozen times looking at the airbox, checking the clamps, checking the vacuum hoses. Everything was installed correctly. The engine idled just like stock. Nothing was obviously "wrong", until I started driving.

I would assume that the engine management systems would "compensate for everything" but I'm convinced that for whatever reason my exhaust is what the Airaid didn't play nice with. It's the only thing different from stock about my car...besides the floormats and stereo.

Some day I'd really like to find out exactly what went wrong, but really, on the list of my Priorities in Life, it's on the third page. The stock airbox is actually pretty darn good and now that you guys have turned me on to Premium fuel, I'm not worried about the Airaid.

What is on Page One of my Life Priorities list is all my Steeda suspension upgrades that are sitting in their boxes in my garage. :doh: But that's another thread.

BTW, I've used about 3/4 tank of 93 octane. :clap2: I don't think I'll be going back to regular 87 unleaded, cost be damned. :love:

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
I believe this is false. Once the car see knock they go into safety mode. They pull more timing then they would ever give. At that point with 87 octane, the car would be slow like the OP suggested. More are with proper fuel equals power. However with no timing. It won't make any power.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I would assume that the engine management systems would "compensate for everything" but I'm convinced that for whatever reason my exhaust is what the Airaid didn't play nice with. It's the only thing different from stock about my car
Your exhaust has nothing to do with the intake since neither requires a tune. You are way overthinking this.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Your exhaust has nothing to do with the intake since neither requires a tune. You are way overthinking this.
I can accept that. I do tend to over-think things like this. :frusty:

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I believe this is false. Once the car see knock they go into safety mode. They pull more timing then they would ever give. At that point with 87 octane, the car would be slow like the OP suggested. More are with proper fuel equals power. However with no timing. It won't make any power.
Again none of that has anything to do with a no-tune CAI. You are conflating two separate issues.

The car is going to run the same timing on 87 octane regardless if you have a stock air box or no-tune CAI. Hence the term "no tune".

Sponsored

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Again none of that has anything to do with a no-tune CAI. You are conflating two separate issues.

The car is going to run the same timing on 87 octane regardless if you have a stock air box or no-tune CAI. Hence the term "no tune".
It does though because if you add more air while the car pulls back timing you're going to have a bad time. You will still have a small gain with a no tune CAI, like you would with a K&N drop in.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What you "feel" is not in any way a fact. The only way to prove to yourself and everyone else would be to take it to the track or find some other way to do timed runs back to back with the CAI and stock one or do the same on a dyno. Feel and sound is very subjective and not a fair way to evaluate what is or isn't happening. I would be willing to bet after your cat back the sound change made it appear to be in beast mode. Not sure what happened with the intake but seriously everything is conjecture unless you can find a way to get some hard numbers to evaluate.

Unless your "butt dyno" has been magically calibrated by the unicorn measurement union I think you might be assuming an issue where there may not be one. Stop selling your car short and go get some hard numbers that can support your assumptions.

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
It does though because if you add more air while the car pulls back timing you're going to have a bad time. You will still have a small gain with a no tune CAI, like you would with a K&N drop in.
EXACTLY.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Really? I did not know that. Hmm. May have to give a couple tanks of 93 a try...never used anything but 87 in the car since I bought it.
It gives your ~4hp max - not noticeable, especially when you consider how often your are at that max power. Not that CAI gives you anything.

I also find it ironic when CAI owner post that their inlet temperatures went up.
Sponsored