Sponsored

AIRAID no-tune CAI didn't play well with my car

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
How about just driving around on the Airaid and then swapping back to stock and driving around and see if you feel a difference. It won't be anything big but there will be some slightly different characteristics. I think depending on what kind of driving you do and the kind of air out on a given day the stock intake "feels" better than aftermarket

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I put almost 800 miles of daily driving and 5 tanks of gas (albeit 87 octane) on the Airaid. I have almost an 80-mile round trip commute to work. About 80% of it is interstate 65++ mph and the other neighborhood roads, 35-45mph. What I described in my OP is exactly what I experienced with the Airaid CAI.

I've had the stock intake back on for a few days now and the stupid grin has returned to my face. My next test is a few tanks of 93 octane and we'll see what that brings. I have no plans to put the Airaid back on b/c I am very doubtful that 93 octane gas will magically wake up this CAI, especially since Airaid makes no mention of needing 93 octane or "best results with" 93 octane.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
What would you say is "a real CAI?" I did my research and thought I chose pretty well. The Airaid is a nicely-made piece of gear...even if it didn't work well for me.

Even the stock airbox is a CAI that takes in air from the front grill, not under the hood like many other CAI's do.
Try MAP's, their intake is inside the driver side wheel well.

Sponsored

Spartanator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Stage 3 Roush
Then you have to drive a bit away from Kemah!:headbonk:

Just kidding!
Hahaha, I was waiting til somewhat caught that. I usually fill up at Shell over on 96 before I get to 45. I used to hit the Sunoco across the street but they stopped taking care of the facility cleanliness wise. Several stations in Kemah have terrible gas.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
OP i have tried multiple intakes including the Mishi Tube. I m now running airaid no tune with lund flex fuel tune. After reading your review here is what makes more sense to me. To let the tires loose on third gear on a stock car especially from 55 mph, you need really dense and good air. You were able to do that most likely on a cool day or morning and the engine wasn't warm enough. Tires also play a huge factor in traction during cool environment.

Now since the weather is warm lately, your tires are hooking up better and you are also not pushing that much oxygen into the combustion chamber. Loosing traction will get harder. Our cars are very heat sensitive, how bad? Dyno proven 10 to 15 whp depending on the air temperatures and cylinder head temperatures. My dyno on a stock car showed 391 whp to 378 whp when the car was warm. Now with a Reische Thermostat and better fan settings, my car doesn't loose power even in warmer conditions.

My advise to you if you don't believe me, try the airaid intake on a early cool morning in texas and see if the power has returned! Don't touch the fuel. Your problem is most likely weather related than the intake!

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Get a real CAI that actually intakes far away from the engine. The Airaid is more of a short ram intake
The Airaid takes air only from the grill and sealed to engine air. What more could you want? None of the others are that isolated.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP

Loud 5.0

Loud 5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I installed the airaid last weekend on my 16 GT, however mine is a Performance Pack car and i noticed a nice increase in throttle response while running the car in standard mode versus in sport mode which i was very happy about and didnt see any drivability issues on mine. not sure if that has anything to do with the OP's situation, just thought i would share.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
93 is what you need man. I'm not even sure why anyone would spend money on performance parts when they are running the minimum octane. You would pick up more power just by switching from 87 to 93 than you would with the intake...

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I have an airaid and didn't notice any of that. Mine actually dynos really well and pulls pretty hard up top. Odd you're seeing that. I'd for sure try one of the more popular intakes if I had one lying around. I don't think they make enough difference to pay the money to check though. I think they'll all be within a few hp of each other.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
93 is what you need man. I'm not even sure why anyone would spend money on performance parts when they are running the minimum octane. You would pick up more power just by switching from 87 to 93 than you would with the intake...
Yeah, I know you (and the others that have pointed that out) are right. I have a 1/4 tank ATM. Tomorrow I will fill up with 93 and run that for the next 3-4 tanks and see how I like it.

For those suggesting intakes that are not totally sealed to engine air; I won't bother with those. On a NA engine there is simply no point when the stock airbox is a CAI to begin with.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Did you reset the ECU also known as the PCM to allow it to recalibrate the air fuel trims for the new intake? I also have an Airaid intake and it works great, mine is ported though or a remove the insert and a required a tune, but I did run it for a little while with the insert in. I can see with the insert remove though it adds a lot of a throttle response, and since it's enclosed just like the stock intake it really keeps those temps down.
Sponsored