Not open for further replies.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I know I get beat up everytime I suggest harmonics or standing waves that were a surprise are causing problems with Ford's flatplane crank.

I do know of a bridge that mechanical engineers need a 16 page dissertation to explain it's demise, where electrical engineers look at the facts and say in one page standing waves destroyed it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How very very kind of you. I offered them a cool 20 spot for the old engine but they’re playing hardball…. I’ll let you know how the negotiations go, but I think they’re holding out for at least $50.
$50 and a few cases of beer, tell the Tech to turn his head and if anyone asks, that engine was already returned on the warranty truck… done deal.

— back to topic…

This is very unfortunate, sorry to see it happened to you. For me, it’s also concerning to wonder how many more are out there with owners who do not go online, don’t belong to forums, don’t know about any of the GT350 Valve drops and have had such an issue…. Or at what point will it happen if it hasn’t….

I’m putting that concern or question into a perspective of Owners who have mothballed or just don’t drive their GT350 and once that vehicle is out of its warranty stage (5/60 Powertrain OR Ford ESP) - a valve drop is going to be a very expensive out of pocket repair. Even though such vehicles have low miles from not being driven, the Warranty still expires if years pass before mileage accrual.

Still no one has said why the GT350 engines just suddenly drop a valve. However, I’m wondering if it’s similar to the current rash of new Bronco EB V6 turbos dropping of valves. Supposedly that Bronco issue is due to the valves becoming brittle due to heat…

Valves can drop for numerous reasons, but there has to be a common link if this is occurring to many production engines (GT350 or other Ford). Are the valve keepers failing? Is it the metal composition of the valve that is allowing the failure (ie: valve head breaking off stem, valve becoming too hot/brittle, etc)? Is it an installation error when the engine was built (ie: improper valve lash)?

Last edited:

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
$50 and a few cases of beer, tell the Tech to turn his head and if anyone asks, that engine was already returned on the warranty truck… done deal.

— back to topic…

This is very unfortunate, sorry to see it happened to you. For me, it’s also concerning to wonder how many more are out there with owners who do not go online, don’t belong to forums, don’t know about any of the GT350 Valve drops and have had such an issue…. Or at what point will it happen if it hasn’t….

I’m putting that concern or question into a perspective of Owners who have mothballed or just don’t drive their GT350 and once that vehicle is out of its warranty stage (5/60 Powertrain OR Ford ESP) - a valve drop is going to be a very expensive out of pocket repair. Even though such vehicles have low miles from not being driven, the Warranty still expires if years pass before mileage accrual.

Still no one has said why the GT350 engines just suddenly drop a valve. However, I’m wondering if it’s similar to the current rash of new Bronco EB V6 turbos dropping of valves. Supposedly that Bronco issue is due to the valves becoming brittle due to heat…

Valves can drop for numerous reasons, but there has to be a common link if this is occurring to many production engines (GT350 or other Ford). Are the valve keepers failing? Is it the metal composition of the valve that is allowing the failure (ie: valve head breaking off stem, valve becoming too hot/brittle, etc)? Is it an installation error when the engine was built (ie: improper valve lash)?
I thought it was already known a bad batch of valve springs was the cause.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Sorry to see this happen to you, especially during the middle of your driving season. Hopefully, you’ll be back up and running as quickly as possible. 👍

Voodoo_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Zero indications whatsoever.

I’m not quite ready to share the circumstances of when/how, but as soon as I have the new engine in the car, I’ll be happy to share the story.
I understand. Looking forward to hearing your story. Hope all goes well with the engine replacement!

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Sorry to see this happen to you, especially during the middle of your driving season. Hopefully, you’ll be back up and running as quickly as possible. 👍
Thanks. I’m guessing it’ll be months before it’s all squared away…. Especially since the the transmission also needs rebuilt and they can’t tackle that until the new engine is in. I’m pretty sure she’s getting sold once she’s all squared away.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

I’m not quite ready to share the circumstances of when/how, but as soon as I have the new engine in the car, I’ll be happy to share the story.
So sorry to hear of your plight! Mine is an early production 2019 and I've got 21K miles on it with no engine issues, The valve issues seem sporadic with the 2019, and more often, 2020 engines. Regardless, I'm glad to see you are getting a replacement engine and you'll be on the road soon! Maybe it has to do with the newly invented oil filter tube used to eliminate a drainage mess! LOL!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know I get beat up everytime I suggest harmonics or standing waves that were a surprise are causing problems with Ford's flatplane crank.

I do know of a bridge that mechanical engineers need a 16 page dissertation to explain it's demise, where electrical engineers look at the facts and say in one page standing waves destroyed it.
If the crankshaft had failed it could be related to crankshaft vibrations from the flat plane engine design. The same with a main or rod bearing, possibly.

The valves aren't going to fail from FPC harmonics. Yes the valves do experience engine vibrations, but I don't believe that those vibrations are a significant factor in valve life.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I totally understand, but I am looking forward to hearing it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You don't understand standing waves.
I do and I still reject that as a cause of this valve failure.

Edit: it might not be obvious to everyone, but my reasoning is that the position of the constraints on the valves are constantly changing while the engine is running. The keeper, guide and seat all constrain the valves plus the relative positions of those three constraints are not always the same. So the frequency of any vibrations within the valve are also going to be constantly changing.

From what I've read I think the most likely explanation is what others have already said. There was a problem with the valve manufacturing process and a bad batch got into some Voodoos. This issue with a failed valve is only common for a short period of production. It doesn't affect most cars.

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You don't understand standing waves.
Your commitment to the presumed incompetence of Ford Performance engineers is awe inspiring.

Modeling structural resonance is fairly straightforward in modern 3D CAD tools. For instance, the vibration and resonance modeling subsystem is a $1,600 per user per year add-on for Fusion 360, and presumably if they're using Solidworks or a competing product, it'd be about the same.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
There is computer models and the real world. The models don't always work. In fact most times the finished product needs to be revised several times before it is right.

I am not saying my hypothesis is the reason, just a possibility backed up by all the add on's ford put on the car itself. Most if not all were to stop vibrations, harmonics and standing waves.

There is a reason Ford will not sell this engine as a stand alone and it is not just to be unique.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.