Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control

Esfoad

Threads
Reaction score
It uses the adaptive part, radar to get you spacing and speed and the adjustments related to that.... there are systems that do brake for you though that I have seen on the infinity and a few other cars but this system it's not one of them
I did forget one thing. Not only does the ACC brake, but the brake lights do, indeed, come on. My son was following me and said that he noticed the brake lights come on. So yes there are systems that apply the brakes and one of those is in my SHO.
Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
The system does not apply brakes....lol. it uses the engine braking to slow the vehicle down... in other words... it lets off the gas much like when you are going down a hill with cc engaged but gravity makes you go faster... or going up hills where the gas is applied.... some down shifting occurs depending on the grade
That engine braking must be 10 times better than the Boss302 using Trackey because when a car cuts in between me and the car in front of me it slows down in a hurry to get the spacing correct that I set it for........

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
Robot cars. are they programmed with the 3 laws?

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
That engine braking must be 10 times better than the Boss302 using Trackey because when a car cuts in between me and the car in front of me it slows down in a hurry to get the spacing correct that I set it for........
When did the boss302 get adaptive cruise control?

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
When did the boss302 get adaptive cruise control?
I was referring to your use of the term "engine braking" as to how the adaptive cruise slows the car down

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
No....we will be at war with our cars soon enough:shocked:
Even my truck let's off the gas and it slows down but I only have a 4 speed auto... my audi let's off the gas, that's a 5 speed manual and you can definitely feel it slow down as well... on the truck it also will gear down if it has to depending on how fast I am going over the preset speed

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i
Yeah, that seems dumb. Why shouldn't you be able to just set it for, say, 40 mph, and then let it handle all the acceleration and braking on the rest of your commute? Unless you're the first car at a red light, I suppose.
You could as long as you don't go slower than 16 mph... Fords will not completely stop with this system. We have this on our explorer sport and I have driven with it many times on long trips, it works well. It will brake very hard if needed and then accelerate when traffic clears. The major issue I have is that when you set your distance to activate on the closest distance, it is still to far away. So the person in front of you has no "incentive" to move over. If you are an aggressive driver the ACC system is not for you.

Now, the collision avoidance is nice. It can save you from rear ending someone. I was looking for an address once and the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. The system alerted me and I was able to stop. Without the system I would have most likely crashed into them.

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I would not use ACC at all unless I was on the highway traveling long distance. I'd never use it any type of traffic or coming into a city with congestion problems on the highways.

ACC would be nice.....and is nice in our other cars....for when I have to travel for work 3 or more hours away or vacation trips.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
ACC worries me, not that i would grow dependent on it for anything, its the other drivers that rely too heavily on it and think that they can spend their commute texting, and chattering on the phone and then traffic comes to a stop..... i don't want to be the guy in front of them....

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
That's obnoxious if it's true. I would think the most useful time to have ACC would be in stop-and-go traffic, where you're going ten mph half the time and stopped dead the other half of the time, where you could just set yourself to be ten or fifteen feet behind the car in front of you and then leave your feet off the brake and the accelerator and just let the car itself handle the creeping forward while you sit behind some construction logjam for the next hour.

Of course, that would only work in a car with an automatic, not a manual.
I think some of you are mixing up 2 very different systems. The Adaptive Cruise Control uses the front radar to determine distance from your vehicle to the one in front. If someone cuts in front of you or if traffic suddenly slows or stops it will apply the brakes. The other system is the Collision Avoidance System. This is the one with the bright red LED lights and an audible sound that warns of possible danger ahead. This system does NOT apply the brakes, it pre-charges them so they react quicker when/if you apply the brakes. My 2010 SHO has both systems and I'm pretty sure the operation is the same on newer Fords. But it is 2 completely independent systems.
No mix up... and you are comparing it to a different car and not the mustang.... yes, it may work that way with your explorer or expedition but in this mustang there is only a brake system precharge, the collision mitigation system does this precharge, visible and audible alarm which you as the driver has to engage the brakes on the Mustang

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Cruise Control of any kind should never be used in adverse weather conditions. If you start to lose grip on the pavement, you need to be in perfect control of the drive wheels and the steering immediately; cruise control is in no way whatsoever suited for those conditions. I always shut off cruise control at even a hint of rain.

But when you're sitting in regular-old rush hour traffic, like this, where you never get over 10 mph for hours at a time, the type where you don't hit the gas pedal for two hours because you never go fast enough to get above idle, ACC would be a godsend:

I dis agree on rolling bumper to bumper traffic and this mustang does not brake for you... I just hope you don't rely on this in this traffic situation but I do agree with what you have said about the weather... slipping wheels confuse the cc system

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
ACC worries me, not that i would grow dependent on it for anything, its the other drivers that rely too heavily on it and think that they can spend their commute texting, and chattering on the phone and then traffic comes to a stop..... i don't want to be the guy in front of them....
Those are the chumps you see that have caused the traffic backup to begin with... bad enough to have a bunch of clowns not paying attention on the road and relying on their "technology" to "avoid" a collision but it is much more than that... countless times I witness people almost hitting the front of my truck and if it does happen, I will guarantee a pit maneuver to counter the stupidity. I have to put up with it almost every single day for both female and male drivers alike ... their faces are planted to their cell phones texting away and more
Sponsored