Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
It's not supposed to . . . but I defy you to prove that it doesn't or won't. People are basically lazy and like to get out of doing things if they can, and ACC is only going to make that worse.

I can't imagine ACC behavior not giving me at least momentary concerns about my car and the health of its powertrain every single time it stepped in. Keep in mind that the times it might intervene tend to be the times I don't need any such distractions from what I'd really need to be doing.

When I buy my cars, I buy cars, not co-drivers.

Norm
I can only tell you from experience but I realise everyone is different. In my case, it actually made me more alert because whilst I knew my car would adjust its speed accordingly to the car in front, you never know what they can do so my foot was always at the ready to intervene.

I think some of you are totally missing the point of ACC, perhaps due to lack of experience using it? You're not supposed to use it while driving down some back roads or along routes where traffic will be cause you to constantly slow down and speed up, or where cars will constantly cut you up. In those cases, you would need additional safety measures for true semi-autonomous driving. ACC is for long journeys where there is little traffic and where people's feet may get tired after a while. What's the point of having your foot on the gas if you're driving along a long straight with few cars around.

I'm also not sure how ACC would adversely affect the powertrain...

I understand ACC is not for everyone, I hardly use cruise control myself but mostly because I don't do long journey, but it is genuinely a great technology. I love it that the Mustang has it as an option.
Sponsored

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This is the same crap they probably all said when normal Cruise Control came out. :tsk:

Order it or don't order it. Use it or don't use it.

I will use it, and I will still be attentive to what is going on ALL around me, not just in front of me.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I can only tell you from experience but I realise everyone is different. In my case, it actually made me more alert because whilst I knew my car would adjust its speed accordingly to the car in front, you never know what they can do so my foot was always at the ready to intervene.

I think some of you are totally missing the point of ACC, perhaps due to lack of experience using it? You're not supposed to use it while driving down some back roads or along routes where traffic will be cause you to constantly slow down and speed up, or where cars will constantly cut you up. In those cases, you would need additional safety measures for true semi-autonomous driving. ACC is for long journeys where there is little traffic and where people's feet may get tired after a while. What's the point of having your foot on the gas if you're driving along a long straight with few cars around.
If it's not for coping with other traffic that can't or won't hold a steady speed, or pick up speed to run away from you, or drop speed to encourage you to pass them, what good is the adaptive part?

With any CC, exactly what am I going to do with my right foot? It can't sit flat on the floor, and under the brake pedal or folded under my left knee are about the worst possible places to put it. Honestly, short of suspending it directly over the brake pedal (which would be a far more tiring position to hold for more than a moment or two) I doubt there's any better place for your right foot to be than right there on the throttle pedal.

I'm also not sure how ACC would adversely affect the powertrain...
You missed my point. It's the distraction of something suddenly feeling different that I was getting at. When power is cut, the first thing that crosses my mind is something happened to the engine or possibly some other powertrain component. Not that some nanny thought it needed to step in.

I understand ACC is not for everyone
Thank you.

This is the same crap they probably all said when normal Cruise Control came out. :tsk:

Order it or don't order it. Use it or don't use it.

I will use it, and I will still be attentive to what is going on ALL around me, not just in front of me.
There's nothing wrong with having different opinions expressed. Chances are pretty good that there are some things I would want in a car (and plan as a mod if they weren't available) that you would have no use for. Or maybe actively dislike on appearance or other basis.

I have strong doubts that anything that isolates you from any of the tasks involved with driving makes you more aware of the driving portion of your environment.

I've used CC just enough to know that in any form it is not for me.

Norm

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Adaptive Cruise Control gets the populous conditioned to allow the car to drive itself. Technology already allows autonomous vehicles, just a few more years before legislation allow it. A few more years after than until autonomous vehicles are mandated (for your safety). It's coming.

But think of how much money is made from regular everyday people driving.

All the fender benders and accidents that get paid to insurance companies ans body shops..

All the regular maintenance that most people neglect that equates to bigger repair bills.

Speeding tickets , traffic violations , etc being paid.

More gas used because people drive the way they want (not in one streamlined group driving efficiently as possible ).

With everyone driving , and the people at the top only caring about more money id imagine theyd be against self driving carsm. Of course I could be wrong , but that's just my theory.

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
But think of how much money is made from regular everyday people driving.

All the fender benders and accidents that get paid to insurance companies ans body shops..

. . .

Speeding tickets , traffic violations , etc being paid.

. . .
Eh systems fail - will traffic violation decrease? Potentially, but I would assume that body shops would exist when the autonomous feature fails - if it's man made, then it isn't perfect. That's why IT exists... And when your autonomous -danger free- vehicle gets in an accident, im sure the insurance companies get WAY more money through those lawsuits ;)

I could agree that maintenance costs will go up (a lot) in those types of systems.

Sponsored

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Eh systems fail - will traffic violation decrease? Potentially, but I would assume that body shops would exist when the autonomous feature fails - if it's man made, then it isn't perfect. That's why IT exists... And when your autonomous -danger free- vehicle gets in an accident, im sure the insurance companies get WAY more money through those lawsuits ;)

I could agree that maintenance costs will go up (a lot) in those types of systems.
Ah so the solution would be push for autonomous cars, then when they fail, cite it as a reason not to have autonomous cars!

Here's to hoping it won't happen in our life time..or at least until we're too to old to drive!

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
If you want to be calculating and executing fast, smooth passes then surely standard cruise control is even worse for you! You're bashing ACC for the very reason it's better than normal cruise.

When I've used ACC in the past, I can set it to a speed that is higher than normal traffic so if I want to overtake, I just change into an empty lane and it overtakes everyone, and if I want to slow down, I just follow a slower car in front of me. Of course, if I want to actually drive, I just turn it off.
Hmmmm...thanks Helios. I think reading your real-world impressions of how it works and how you actually use it is doing a better job than the marketing department. I'll still pass on it for this Mustang GT for the aesthetic reasons but it sounds like something that'll be on the NEXT car....

-SeventhWard

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
If I may chime in to add to what Helios was getting at, I have long monotonous highway rides as a part of my normal commute and this will def help me kick back a little. Cruise control as is has little use given that even a single car up ahead requires gas/brake input, so this finally renders speed control useful. I love driving and only row my own gears, but going straight for 20 miles every single day each way sucks.

More importantly it has a collision mitigation system. That alone is worth the package price given the thousands it will save in a single successful instance, even if it only lessens damage in an accident. I think many people are too cocky to admit that no one is a perfect driver and everyday situations (including checking blind-spots at highway speed) are risks for even the most seasoned driver.

FYI my insurance gives no such discount with ACC/collision system, but I will be getting it regardless. I have rear-ended someone before. Isht happens. Ive also read good feedback from other forums with Ford's ACC so I think it would be a wise investment

methodfilter

Threads
Reaction score
That's why I did not get it on the Mustang. A gadget only for the southern States. :thumbdown:

I live an hour south of Toronto and have it on my Explorer. It's fantastic driving up and down the 401, as well as our drive to Florida in back. In the 4 years of owning our Explorer we only twice had a sensor block error. Once being a time that it was snowing so badly I shouldn't have actually been driving. Second being during a freezing rain storm where I should have cleared the sensor before driving

I would not agree that I'm any less attentive due to the ACC. It's great to set it during long stretches of highway when behind someone. There's no constant adjusting your foot pressure on the peddle while behind a car you can't pass. Then when you can, pass them and resume your ACC. But it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, just makes things a little easier. It was nice to rest my right foot flat on the floor and honestly I felt less fatigued during long drives.

Not sure why there's this thought that it takes away from the driving experience when used properly. If it's a personal choice then fine, but it doesn't make anyone a lesser driver. No one is saying you use it all the time. But I've been on a lot of straight one lane highways that no car could make fun. Especially when you're stuck behind a few cars. Just set the ACC and relax the foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Speaking of ACC, I don't tend to use cruise control, but I do want the collision avoidance feature always on. Can the 2 be operated separately? (cruise control off, collision avoidance on) Thanks.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Speaking of ACC, I don't tend to use cruise control, but I do want the collision avoidance feature always on. Can the 2 be operated separately? (cruise control off, collision avoidance on) Thanks.
I believe the collision system operates independently but I'm not 100%

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
It's separate from the cruise function, same sensor is used, but they're separate features. There's a separate thread that went into this in detail.

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
If it's not for coping with other traffic that can't or won't hold a steady speed, or pick up speed to run away from you, or drop speed to encourage you to pass them, what good is the adaptive part?
I'm not sure you quite understood me. If you're in stop/start traffic, or on a busy highway where traffic will be changing speed from say 50mph down to 25mph regularly as an example, ACC isn't needed because you're likely to be constantly accelerating/decelerating and changing gears. However, as e30og pointed out, if you're doing a monotonous journey, then CC/ACC comes into their own. It means you don't have to have your foot on the pedal at all time. This next example is also why ACC is better than normal CC; Say you're doing 70mph and someone comes in front of you and then slows down, with normal CC, you'll have to brake, CC may then disengage and you'll have to turn it back on. With ACC, the car will adjust its speed by itself and keep the car a safe distance from the car in front to avoid any risks. If you want to overtake, simply switch lanes and your car will go back to driving at its set speed. It makes driving in these situations effortless.

With any CC, exactly what am I going to do with my right foot? It can't sit flat on the floor, and under the brake pedal or folded under my left knee are about the worst possible places to put it. Honestly, short of suspending it directly over the brake pedal (which would be a far more tiring position to hold for more than a moment or two) I doubt there's any better place for your right foot to be than right there on the throttle pedal.
It just means you can move your foot around and stretch it a bit when on a long journey. I normally just have my foot rested on the floor or to the side.

You missed my point. It's the distraction of something suddenly feeling different that I was getting at. When power is cut, the first thing that crosses my mind is something happened to the engine or possibly some other powertrain component. Not that some nanny thought it needed to step in.
Not quite sure what you mean there. Power isn't cut, the brakes are applied as it would if you are driving normally. In my car, you could feel the brake pedal physically moving by itself slightly.

There's nothing wrong with having different opinions expressed. Chances are pretty good that there are some things I would want in a car (and plan as a mod if they weren't available) that you would have no use for. Or maybe actively dislike on appearance or other basis.

I have strong doubts that anything that isolates you from any of the tasks involved with driving makes you more aware of the driving portion of your environment.

I've used CC just enough to know that in any form it is not for me.

Norm
Again, ACC isn't for everyone which I fully understand but what I'm trying to demonstrate is that it is a very good system. I myself never need it on my daily commute to work so I wouldn't necessarily have to spec it but I wouldn't critique anyone else who decided to have this as an option, knowing just how helpful it is.

Gen_Nick3.8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Camaro SS 1LE
Agreed rather save $1500 for parts & Tires which my GT will be eating through ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm not sure you quite understood me. If you're in stop/start traffic, or on a busy highway where traffic will be changing speed from say 50mph down to 25mph regularly as an example, ACC isn't needed because you're likely to be constantly accelerating/decelerating and changing gears.
No question there.

This next example is also why ACC is better than normal CC; Say you're doing 70mph and someone comes in front of you and then slows down, with normal CC, you'll have to brake, CC may then disengage and you'll have to turn it back on. With ACC, the car will adjust its speed by itself and keep the car a safe distance from the car in front to avoid any risks. If you want to overtake, simply switch lanes and your car will go back to driving at its set speed.
We begin to differ here, and my concern is that if you don't have to always directly control your spacing in briskly moving traffic you could have a tendency to become a little slack in that respect. I'm not looking at this as being a guaranteed end result, just a percentage-play kind of thing that to me is in the wrong direction.

I see what you're saying about somebody suddenly cutting in front of you, with the concern that one's first thought could be that something went wrong with his car when it did something unexpected.

I firmly believe that overtaking should be a 100% voluntary, 100% driver-controlled action. Not a default result of moving to an empty lane where with a higher speed setting the car takes over and does what it assumes you wanted it to do. There are times when for good reason I will either pause before passing or accelerate a good bit more briskly than any programmed acceleration.

It just means you can move your foot around and stretch it a bit when on a long journey. I normally just have my foot rested on the floor or to the side.
I suppose that might be possible in a sit-up-tall minivan, SUV, or truck, but I can't see any reasonable alternative places for your right foot in a car where you sit as low as you do in a Mustang. Dunno, maybe that means I've found a better seat position for me than others have for them?

Not quite sure what you mean there. Power isn't cut, the brakes are applied as it would if you are driving normally. In my car, you could feel the brake pedal physically moving by itself slightly.
I am assuming that a car smart enough to apply the brakes is also smart enough to cut power so that it isn't working against itself. Even TC systems work both the power and the brakes under some circumstances.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Norm
Sponsored