Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Delete the resonator and you need ae, if and only if it’s your daily.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Those numbers seem way more realistic.
86/82/72 for track/normal/quiet . . . agreed. That's why I'm curious about the distance from the car to the microphone. For sound-restricted Solo sites, SCCA typically uses '50 feet from the track', sometimes with additional requirements.

Norm

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I wasn't looking for AE when I was looking last week. Didn't really care, wasn't a must have for me. The one I ended up picking up had it, and I absolutely love it and the quiet start in the morning is great for the neighbors. The scat pack is EXTREMELY loud for cold starts.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Active exhaust was a must for me. I had no interest in switching to aftermarket exhaust, so i went with it after test driving a Mustang with it, i knew i had to have it.

The ability to switch between loud and quiet is incredible. If you want a quiet peaceful drive, quiet is like a whisper. And switching to track definitely gives you some volume.

I will say that once i had it for about a month, i was looking for a 'little' more volume. Even in track mode, it sounded as if it had a hand over its mouth (pipes?). I went with a H pipe resonator delete and i couldnt be more satified. It added a distinct bark in track mode, however quiet mode is still as quiet as any Mercedes you would drive.

If you like the way the stock AE sounds, go for it. If you are planning on going aftermarket - save the money. Ford really hit a homerun on the stock exhaust (finally! I dont think they ever released a stock exhaust that sounded good before now)

Here is the difference between quiet and track mode with H pipe resonator delete for anyone interested:

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
AE was an option I just couldn't get away from when looking for a Mustang optioned the way I wanted it. Now that I have it, I like it, but it's still not something I have to have.

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
If you're curious what the AE valves are doing, here's a video for you:

It's not a static setting for each mode.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you're curious what the AE valves are doing, here's a video for you:

It's not a static setting for each mode.
Not static for sure. What seems a bit odd is that the amount of valve opening doesn't always stay in step with the amount of throttle opening.

Norm

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
For frame of reference, decibels is a logarithmic scale so every 10 dB is twice as loud loud. At 110 decibels and over other sounds can’t really be heard. A 1 dB change in a sound equates to about a 25% increase in sound energy. A 3 dB difference is actually a doubling of energy level. In subjective terms of loudness, a 1 dB change yields about 7% change. A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness so you can see how much louder Sport is from Quiet at the 113 dB level. Good thing we are in front of the exhaust as anything over 85 dB can damage hearing.
You're right that sound pressure is logarithmic. However, sound perception is not that simple. Most people can't hear the difference of 2 dB. 3 dB is perceptible, but barely. It is true that 3 dB is twice the power output, however, from a volume perspective to our ears, the difference between 3 dB is very small.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
FYI,
I do not have the 15-17 numbers but here are the ones for the Active Exhaust.

In decibels
Normal 111.9
Quiet. 100.7
Sport. 113.4
Track. 114.3
Something seems off with these numbers. To our ears, there will be zero difference between sport and track (0.9 dB). Our ears can not distinguish a 1 dB change. Heck, if these numbers are correct, then track is barely louder (to the human ear) than normal. Most people can't hear a 2 dB difference, and the difference between normal and track is only 2.4 dB.

Sponsored

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Not static for sure. What seems a bit odd is that the amount of valve opening doesn't always stay in step with the amount of throttle opening.

Norm
Looks to be static in "track" mode. The other modes it seems to be also correlated with back pressure.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Late to the party but it was a deal breaker for me when I ought my '19.

Sport/Track mode with an X pipe is LOUD. It's nice to be able to shut the car up in quiet mode when I pull into my neighborhood late at night.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Looks to be static in "track" mode. The other modes it seems to be also correlated with back pressure.
I'm reasonably sure it's working off a map or an XY lookup table of some sort with maybe a few corrections. You can do much more with that approach.

Norm

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I've been on the lookout a red or white 2019 GT Premium with A10, PP1, Magneride, and active exhaust. I've found two in FL that have nav and few other things. I saw this one in WA https://www.vancouverford.com/new/F...plink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cars.com The price is great, if it's not just marketing, but no active exhaust. Would the lack of active exhaust be a deal breaker for you? I'd probably keep it stock if I had active exhaust.
Not a deal breaker, but....it is a fantastic option you should absolutely try to get. Do you know how it works? How about scheduling the auiet times you want her to start at? ( get up early?, come home real late]? You get make your car quiet or rambunctious at the flock of a couple of button pushes. I have the AE. on my stock exhaust, except for the Steeda H pipe, i can go from super quiet to super loud when wanted. It is awesome. My neighbors love me, moms strolling with their kiddos hate me. :)

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
To add to this thread. I listened to a mustang with a resonator delete yesterday take off slowly from a light. I never realized how truly obnoxious my car was until hearing it from outside the car. The reverberations off the trees was just stupid. So once again... Go AE.
Sponsored