Active exhaust: yay or nay?

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
wouldn't own another sports car without it!
Sponsored

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
You’ve got plenty of opinions here, but I’ll add mine with some shopping experience: hell yay, it’s worth it.

I started shopping for a 2018 premium PP1 auto with active exhaust in late February. I told myself (and my wife) if I hadn’t found one by May 1, I would settle for normal exhaust. I found my exact car I wanted, with every feature except memory seats (even magneride), in like 4 days. Great price, too. My point being, don’t let a perceived difficulty finding something stop you from sticking to it. It’s worth it to get the features you want. I had to fly out and drove mine 15 hours back and it was worth every second of that, too.

hafgod

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
arnold
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I personally hate it... my 2019 GT doesnt have it and im glad. I want my car to be as loud as possible 24/7, i dont want to have to flip switches everytime i get in the car. also nothing beats a cold start.

Leehrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I wish I had it on my '19 GT vert but there just weren't any manual verts with 401A package out there and wanted used. Now I'm super interested in after market AE. What should I look out for? Where can I get it? I went to the Ford dealer service/parts department and the guy had never even heard of AE. Said if it's a factory part, he's not aware of it. So I assume he's either an idiot or Ford doesn't provide AE as an after market part to install at the dealer.

eduranjr

2018 Mustang GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium and Black Appereance
Vehicle Showcase
Active exhaust is one of my favorite options. I can't imagine not having it. Take the resonator out and put in an H-pipe and it's perfect!
Absolutely agree with that!

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I personally hate it... my 2019 GT doesnt have it and im glad. I want my car to be as loud as possible 24/7, i dont want to have to flip switches everytime i get in the car. also nothing beats a cold start.
I used to feel that way, but then I had to put dad in an old folk's home. Also, I was glad I had it when I had to swing past the courthouse the other day. All the fuzz was sitting right outside! :)

With the AE and H-Pipe, cold starts are loud as hell, unless you start during quiet hours.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had it on my '19 GT vert but there just weren't any manual verts with 401A package out there and wanted used. Now I'm super interested in after market AE. What should I look out for? Where can I get it? I went to the Ford dealer service/parts department and the guy had never even heard of AE. Said if it's a factory part, he's not aware of it. So I assume he's either an idiot or Ford doesn't provide AE as an after market part to install at the dealer.
Roush has one. Looks expensive though

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If you do headers or have close neighbors then yea if not it’s a waste of money. Saves you a few hundred on after market exhaust. If all your doing is a catback it’s fine. Quiet mode is a tease nothing worse than seeing a gt350 out and there driving in quiet mode.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Love it, my favorite feature. Track mode is plenty loud (and sounds amazing), and having quiet mode available is great to be a considerate neighbor. A few cars in my neighborhood are obnoxiously loud and everyone hates them, nobody likes their walls rattling every time your neighbor drives by.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The concept is great for those who don't insist on being heard (and then looked at) by everybody all the time and don't want or need quiet all the time either.

What I'm not sure of is why even this has to be accomplished via computer programming. Have we really gotten so spoiled that flipping one toggle switch to go from normally quiet to loud by active choice represents too much mental or physical effort?

Norm

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Have we really gotten so spoiled that flipping one toggle switch to go from normally quiet to loud by active choice represents too much mental or physical effort?
Yes, we have. Every part of a modern car is controlled in some way by computers and electronics. Your trying to fight a battle in a war that was lost years ago. The good news, for you, as many of these pieces are options and you do not have to buy them. For me, I'm all in. I love the tech stuff.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, we have.
A sad state of affairs. I get it that the average person who has no interest in cars beyond their value as mindless transportation appliances would appreciate not having to do much.

What I don't understand is how anybody who claims to have any interest in or enthusiasm for cars would want to their cars to be so much like your average minivan. Owned by people who don't even like to drive. It just seems at odds with the whole idea of being enthusiastic about actually driving your car, which was presumably what you bought your car for in the first place.

Norm

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I would like to have it but I got electric cutouts installed and that is as good or possibly better in my opinion.

Erratikmind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem M6/401A/PP1/MR, '19 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
AE was a must build item for myself. Depending on the circumstances, AE affords me options.
Sponsored