Active Exhaust Fail

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
... And again this morning, this time with the message, which I managed to snap a pic of (it only lasts about 10 sec). Guess it's time for a trip to the dealer - yay.
I wonder if the wiring is too susceptible to heat where they have it located. If the wires get hot or are too small a gauge for the length of the run, it changes the resistance of the wiring causing a current change to the electronics that run the system. The plus/minus voltage/current that the system logic uses to turn it on/off might be very specific and a slight change could cause the issue. I'd like to know what gauge wire is used for the power, ground and return signal. I'd also like to know where they ground the system. Is it done internally by the ECU or down under the car somewhere. The shorter the path to ground, the better but sometimes the ECU gives or takes away ground to control the circuit. Could also just be a bad ECU flash/software problem. Unfortunately, most troubleshooters won't be able to troubleshoot at this level and Ford makes no additional money for doing so. Hope you guys get your issue fixed. I opted out of the active exhaust.
Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Remote started today while standing behind the car as I always do after work (putting stuff in the trunk) and immediately noticed that only the passenger side exhaust was roaring in Normal mode. The driver side was silent for a few seconds, then it opened up to Normal. Got in the car and, sure enough, had the error message. So at least it my car it seems like maybe a sticking valve causing the error.

bigwill90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My active exhaust is doing the same thing I have headers also just changed fuse # 34 went back working .I did a wire inspection notice some wire shaving on the bend going into the plug on top of the muffler .

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And just to add a new wrinkle - I have Quiet Start set for before 9 am. This morning, remote started it in the garage at 8:30 am. It was clearly in Normal exhaust mode, then after about 5 seconds, it clicked and went quiet. When I got in, got the error message and it went back to Normal mode.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
And just to add a new wrinkle - I have Quiet Start set for before 9 am. This morning, remote started it in the garage at 8:30 am. It was clearly in Normal exhaust mode, then after about 5 seconds, it clicked and went quiet. When I got in, got the error message and it went back to Normal mode.
That sounds more like my issue. I've added it to my list when I take it in for the oil change & such.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this has now degenerated to the point that I get the error every day now. Which I suppose is good since when I take it to the dealer they can’t pull the “unable to reproduce the problem” bit.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
My active exhaust is doing the same thing I have headers also just changed fuse # 34 went back working .I did a wire inspection notice some wire shaving on the bend going into the plug on top of the muffler .
Does this issue keep popping up for you? If so, does it happen specifically after a high RPM run?

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
So this has now degenerated to the point that I get the error every day now. Which I suppose is good since when I take it to the dealer they can’t pull the “unable to reproduce the problem” bit.
Hopefully they are able to help you. But my guess is that they will try to reset the software and that is it. Looks like anyone who went to the dealer with this issue was unable to get it fully fixed. There will probably be a TSB on this soon enough since a decent amount of people seem to have issues with the active exhaust.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Interesting. I also have headers and that how it is for me. And is started happening as soon as I put them in. Must have something to do with the change of airflow and the tune makes it redline higher. There may be no fix for this with the exception of putting it back to stock.

It works completely fine for you otherwise unless you do high rpm run, right?

Sponsored

bigwill90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Interesting. I also have headers and that how it is for me. And is started happening as soon as I put them in. Must have something to do with the change of airflow and the tune makes it redline higher. There may be no fix for this with the exception of putting it back to stock.

Yes work fine until high RPM .. I had my headers maybe 2 months before this problem started .

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra

Have you checked around the connections? Mine did the same, at high RPM it tripped the light, after inspection i noticed it was close to the body of the car, the wire harness. I "pushed" the exhaust forward that gave about a inch of room and hasnt happened since, month 2 now with no problems.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Yes work fine until high RPM .. I had my headers maybe 2 months before this problem started .
Hmm, so odd. Maybe mine was just a coincidence. Do you know what your redline is now with your tune?

Have you checked around the connections? Mine did the same, at high RPM it tripped the light, after inspection i noticed it was close to the body of the car, the wire harness. I "pushed" the exhaust forward that gave about a inch of room and hasnt happened since, month 2 now with no problems.
I tried doing that, i checked all the wiring and connections, seems to be perfectly fine. Plus it happens at a specific point not just random so i doubt it has anything to do with the wires or connection. What is your redline now?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I tried doing that, i checked all the wiring and connections, seems to be perfectly fine. Plus it happens at a specific point not just random so i doubt it has anything to do with the wires or connection. What is your redline now?

Mine is 7800. after the CAI we are bumping it up to 8k

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Mine is 7800. after the CAI we are bumping it up to 8k
Got it. And you had no issues with the active exhaust for 2 months now. I guess higher red line may not be the cause. At least not for your case.
Sponsored