Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

blipszyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am new to Ford and this game so I could not help you.
But the question is are you willing to dump $1900 into the car, and would you get that back if you sold it? Or knock price down a bit and sell with bad core. Tough call.

I can say that if my 17' continues to do this over the next few years it will be on the market. Dealing with AC issues here in the south is a death sentence. lol
The $1900 is already dumped as I'm picking it up today. I hope it will last another year or so, as I plan on upgrading to a '19 when the '20's are released.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
#metoo .

Dropped it off today 16k miles , driver side not blowing cool

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
And the death toll just continues to climb, and that's only 6G members that post in this thread! I gotta wonder just how many 6G Stangs have a failed AC evap core, in total? It's a depressing thought!

I'm hoping that the replacement part lasts, though just in this thread there's a lot of folks that are on their 2nd or 3rd "new part!" Utterly ridiculous. I can say that the AC now is colder than it was when the car was new. It was "cold" but I didn't realize how much colder it could be. It's freaking fantastic now, even in a 100+ degree Texas summer. I hope it stays that way, but I sure am glad I bought the extended warranty.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@ANGST That's the classic symptom. Exactly what happened to me and hundreds of others.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

And the death toll just continues to climb, and that's only 6G members that post in this thread! I gotta wonder just how many 6G Stangs have a failed AC evap core, in total? It's a depressing thought!

I'm hoping that the replacement part lasts, though just in this thread there's a lot of folks that are on their 2nd or 3rd "new part!" Utterly ridiculous. I can say that the AC now is colder than it was when the car was new. It was "cold" but I didn't realize how much colder it could be. It's freaking fantastic now, even in a 100+ degree Texas summer. I hope it stays that way, but I sure am glad I bought the extended warranty.
I will find out next week when I take mine in. I did notice the part itself comes with a 1 yr warranty. So that is somewhat promising for folks outside of warranty.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I will find out next week when I take mine in. I did notice the part itself comes with a 1 yr warranty. So that is somewhat promising for folks outside of warranty.

I still have time to get my extended warranty. I’ll probably get it out to 2023 and 60k I do about 8k a year on my car . The rental car benefit is worth it for me . I’ve had a few piddly things go ( puddle light , heated seat ) plus had a new drive shaft , fender misaligned, now AC .

Love the car most of the time , next car will be something more reliable though , or just get a Mazda 3 DD and keep this as the fun / track car

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I drop off my 2016 GT with 10k miles next week. Its blowing warm on driver side and cool on passenger. When I get the diagnosis and/or part number I'll post it.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Ya the part has a 1 year warranty, but that is all that is covered if it fails again within that time. Labor is almost never included in the part warranty, so the total replacement cost will be $1400 instead of $1700.

jdm0926

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016
2016 GT with 22K miles going in for service in the morning. AC Blowing warm air.

Update: Leak at the evaporator core. Glad i got the extended warranty - get to drive a Fusion for a few days.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
So it seems that eventually they all gonna fail...

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just got mine out of the shop, symptoms are it starts out cold, then after driving for 15-20 minutes the air coming out starts to warm, so slowly that I actually didn't notice it the first time until I thought that damn it's getting hot in here. Blowing warm air out both sides and after a while ac fan speed slows down and isn't blowing on high even tho it's set to high. Diagnosis was a bad left temp door actuator which I'm skeptical about. According to Ford the temp was normal on the right side and warm on the left. When this started happening last weekend it was warm out of both sides so I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be taking it back again soon.

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Just got mine out of the shop, symptoms are it starts out cold, then after driving for 15-20 minutes the air coming out starts to warm, so slowly that I actually didn't notice it the first time until I thought that damn it's getting hot in here. Blowing warm air out both sides and after a while ac fan speed slows down and isn't blowing on high even tho it's set to high. Diagnosis was a bad left temp door actuator which I'm skeptical about. According to Ford the temp was normal on the right side and warm on the left. When this started happening last weekend it was warm out of both sides so I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be taking it back again soon.
I should hear back this morning, about what my dealer thinks it is. We'll see. They played pretty dumb when I told them that I had heard that this was a pretty well known issue. I'm trying to remain positive!

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Just had the same issue on my car, along with the compressor going out. Had to replace A/C completely. At the dealership now.

Happened the day after I took my car in for regular maintenance too...

I noticed it from a whine when starting the vehicle up. A loud whine that would continue and grow progressively louder, then no cold air.
I just got the call on mine, they're saying the evaporator needs replaced. They're ordering the part and hope to have it done on Monday or Tuesday.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
$800 some to fix (but I paid $0 under warranty )

I like that they replaced the core even though they found no leaks .
IMG_3799.jpg
Sponsored