A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
Guys like me living in the hot states will find out soon enough, mine was done last September and only time will tell.. Does anyone know the reason for the failure? Is it just a bad design?
I think its the welds on the part, at least that was what my issue was when I got mine replaced last week.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm also hoping they get a non-leaky core engineered and rolled out before my extended warranty expires (glad I bought it - it's always paid for itself with the tires.)
OT but what's the deal with tires and extended warranty? I'll be buying the extended warranty down the road if I keep the car past factory warranty. The GM extended warranties I've had don't cover tires so just wondering if the Ford one does in any way.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
So will every 2015 mustang a/c system experience this failure in time?..turns my stomach thinking my dash will be dismantled some day..my car makes barely a squeak...would never be same after such a repair.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
that's what it looks like. the reason it happens quickly in the south is due to the fact they have their a/c on throughout the year. the more cycles it does, the quicker it will rust and blow a hole in the evaporator.

the evap is constantly wet since water condenses around it, then dries up, then, again, and again, and again. down south it's always soaked and dries up on a daily basis.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
So will every 2015 mustang a/c system experience this failure in time?..turns my stomach thinking my dash will be dismantled some day..my car makes barely a squeak...would never be same after such a repair.
I had mine done and no issues with the dash. Only thing I have now is it seems to switch between recirculation mode and non-recirculation mode. I notice it more when full speed. Might have to bring it back.

The squeak that you have might go away as some people experienced this when they had to replace the core also, so might work out for you.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
OT but what's the deal with tires and extended warranty? I'll be buying the extended warranty down the road if I keep the car past factory warranty. The GM extended warranties I've had don't cover tires so just wondering if the Ford one does in any way.
I had a nail in a tire that they couldn't patch (19" PP wheels) and the extended warranty covered most of the cost of the tire. I think I paid $85 for the replacement (stock Pirelli) from the dealership.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
that's what it looks like. the reason it happens quickly in the south is due to the fact they have their a/c on throughout the year. the more cycles it does, the quicker it will rust and blow a hole in the evaporator.

the evap is constantly wet since water condenses around it, then dries up, then, again, and again, and again. down south it's always soaked and dries up on a daily basis.
Agreed. I'm in central Texas, and run the A/C almost every day, year around.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I know car manufacturers usually source parts from multiple sub manufacturers in case of supply issues, etc. and use the same part number regardless of origin. I wonder if everybody with leaky evaporators used the same sub, or if it is a complete design flaw from Ford. Bad design or bad supplier?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I know car manufacturers usually source parts from multiple sub manufacturers in case of supply issues, etc. and use the same part number regardless of origin. I wonder if everybody with leaky evaporators used the same sub, or if it is a complete design flaw from Ford. Bad design or bad supplier?
Very good question.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
I don't know but I went through 2 heater cores on my 1997 Mustang GT, that sucked. You know it was the heater core because coolant on passenger side lol, that sucked.

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Very good question.
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get the answer since that would require Ford to take ownership of the problem. It's easier (and cheaper) for them to replace on an as needed basis.

My parents have an Acura MDX and got a letter in the mail saying they found 1 case of the transmission oil and engine coolant mixing somehow (not even sure how that's possible) and the transmission's warranty would be extended to 100k miles, no age limit. Either Acura knows the issue could be more widespread and this is a CYA, or they are stepping up for their customers. I wish Ford would do something similar for the A/C.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I went ahead and bought the Ford premium care, so my Evap is guaranteed not to fail, and my car is guaranteed to never need warranty work....LOL

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My parents have an Acura MDX and got a letter in the mail saying they found 1 case of the transmission oil and engine coolant mixing somehow (not even sure how that's possible) ...
Leak in the transmission oil cooler built into the bottom of the radiator ... common design.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get the answer since that would require Ford to take ownership of the problem. It's easier (and cheaper) for them to replace on an as needed basis.
I agree. Still there might be some different markings on the units depending on source. Too bad the customer isn't going to see them, at least not without arguing with service department and hoping they don't forget to call and wait for you to come inspect.