Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Look how much the 50 +/- yr old legendary defective Italian cars are worth today VS the perfect German cars!
or 70's buckets of re-painted Detroit rust vs shiny new GT500CFTP. Former were clearing 70 grand easy at Mecum Kansas last week, and the 8 miles 2021 CFTP barely got to 110K which maybe covered the ADM.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I could be very wrong, but I think Shelby will keep with OEM to keep it 50 states legal. Awhile back, I enquired to Shelby American about upgrading the headers on my '17 Super Snake from factory (whether the tune had the parameters built in for aftermarket headers), and they unequivocally stated that the car was designed with stock cats in mind and any alteration would no longer make it 50 states legals, and require a tune. It was likely legalize speech since it was an email, but I'm guessing they figured out a tune/system utilizing the stock cats.

Emissions are definitely making some tuning companies pucker a bit.

The interesting part was that I was still able to maintain a warranty through Ford with the car.
80,000 miles with 900+ hp on stock cats, gonna be a miracle keeping them in working order so the car passes requisite state testing.

That said, I'd still love to have one.

https://autologicmagazine.com/2021/12/18/in-depth-with-shelby-american-on-their-new-gt500kr/

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I could be very wrong, but I think Shelby will keep with OEM to keep it 50 states legal. Awhile back, I enquired to Shelby American about upgrading the headers on my '17 Super Snake from factory (whether the tune had the parameters built in for aftermarket headers), and they unequivocally stated that the car was designed with stock cats in mind and any alteration would no longer make it 50 states legals, and require a tune. It was likely legalize speech since it was an email, but I'm guessing they figured out a tune/system utilizing the stock cats.

Emissions are definitely making some tuning companies pucker a bit.

The interesting part was that I was still able to maintain a warranty through Ford with the car.
I dont see tuning companies aftermarket sticking around much, the legalization for those tunes probably take a ton of time and cost a lot of money.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I dont see tuning companies aftermarket sticking around much, the legalization for those tunes probably take a ton of time and cost a lot of money.
I think some will definitely suffer as the regulations tighten. Especially the bigger companies that send stuff all over the country. Minnesota doesn't have a smog/emissions requirement (yet...), but there's some local places that will still be wary of installing/tuning catless stuff.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I think some will definitely suffer as the regulations tighten. Especially the bigger companies that send stuff all over the country. Minnesota doesn't have a smog/emissions requirement (yet...), but there's some local places that will still be wary of installing/tuning catless stuff.
It's not Minnesota you have to worry about, it's the Feds that are cracking down.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This may be a silly question, but how can you actually use 900 horsepower on the street? What kind of tires does this thing have? The base GT is already struggling to put 460 HP on the road with even the best available street tires. How can you handle twice that?
I can see how it might work with slicks on a specially prepared, sticky drag strip. But on the street? How?

Last edited:

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
900 (ғʟʏᴡʜᴇᴇʟ) ᴏɴ 93 ᴏᴄᴛᴀɴᴇ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴄᴀʟʟᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴀsᴜʀɪɴɢ ғʀᴏᴍ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀʟʟs. Eᴠᴇɴ ғɪɢᴜʀᴇ ᴀ ʜɪɢʜ sɪᴅᴇ ᴏғ ᴀ 200ʜᴘ ᴠᴀʟᴠᴇᴛʀᴀɪɴ ʟᴏss, ᴛʜᴀᴛ's sᴛɪʟʟ 700 ᴡʜᴇᴇʟ ᴏɴ ᴘᴜᴍᴘ 93. Tᴀʟᴋ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴅɢᴇ. I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀᴇᴅᴀᴛᴏʀ ɪsɴ'ᴛ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ғʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇɴ2/3 ᴄᴏʏᴏᴛᴇs sᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴡɪsᴇ. Aɴᴅ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ғᴏʟᴋs.. STOCK OPG ᴡ/ FACTORY WARRANTY. <- As ᴘᴇʀ M6G ᴘʀᴏᴛᴏᴄᴀʟʟ.. Dᴇʀᴀɪʟᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛᴏᴘɪᴄ ʜᴀʜᴀ.
Nothing wrong with stock OPG’s as long as you run Motocraft 5w 50 which is the best oil hands-down. Now if you were running some garbage like Amsoil then you might have a problem. 😉

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
This may be a silly question, but how can you actually use 900 horsepower on the street? What kind of tires does this thing have? The base GT is already struggling to put 460 HP on the road with even the best available street tires. How can you handle twice that?
I can see how it might work with slicks on a specially prepared, sticky drag strip. But on the street? How?
Drag radials.
-J

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80,000 miles with 900+ hp on stock cats, gonna be a miracle keeping them in working order so the car passes requisite state testing.

That said, I'd still love to have one.

https://autologicmagazine.com/2021/12/18/in-depth-with-shelby-american-on-their-new-gt500kr/
As you and I have discussed, you are correct it’s all about the cats as far warranty/emissions is concerned.
Best option if you really want to use that 3.8 Whipple will be longtubes and a tune and add at least 200hp, probably 300hp if willing to do E85.
There’s a small part of me considering this for my incoming ‘22
-J

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they road legal? I thought they weren't, but of course I could be wrong.
Yes they are. I’d recommend the Nitto NT555R2 for most GT500s.
Unless you drive in rain regularly I’d argue they’re actually much safer than regular tires.
-J

Zent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT Premium
Wow. For that kinda money I'd sooner get the Porsche 911 Turbo S w/ Lightweight Package i.c.w.
that has like 260 less HP and will be wayy more expensive to maintain in parts and service as well as the fact they are extremely unreliable!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
that has like 260 less HP and will be wayy more expensive to maintain in parts and service as well as the fact they are extremely unreliable!
Good thing it weighs 1000lbs less then eh.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Wow. For that kinda money I'd sooner get the Porsche 911 Turbo S w/ Lightweight Package i.c.w.
Yeah good luck getting that Turbo S allocation. And even better luck getting it at MSRP.
Sponsored