8" Android Head Unit Review

17again

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
Just play good clean music and nav and I'm good.
+1 and my wheel controls, voice and camera still work, good enough for me
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Very interested. Just to be clear, there is a small group of beta testers that will give feedback to the company and then they will release the final product to the general public?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
gives road head on top of everything it already does.
If you're a weeb maybe all you need is the voice that plays when you hit the media button :lol:

[MENTION=29061]5.0_SD[/MENTION] does that very well thankfully! I haven't tested it running off of a SIM by itself yet, but no issues the times I've had it tethered to my phone for a connection

[MENTION=33906]Paniolo1[/MENTION] depending on how it's saved (hard to tell without root), it could be a simple update request but hard to say for sure. The android logo that shows up looks animated to me (simple gloss effect).

[MENTION=30139]nancy[/MENTION] sounds about right for the time frame, I know my unit came really quick but everything seems to hinge on China for the timeline right now

[MENTION=31250]17again[/MENTION] I'd have pulled it out already if no steering wheel controls or backup camera worked

[MENTION=26201]Merchant Marine S550[/MENTION] from the last I heard, it is a "small" group. Small in comparison to the number of S550s out there, but probably bigger than the group buy that we would have had from the forum. Just a matter of getting more hands on it because everyone knows that somebody is going to have some sort of issue that nobody else has and the chances of that creeping up during testing is higher with more out there. Hopefully it'd be a quick month of two or beta then a final update to get everything by June? Who knows though!

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As for you and Badger, how did you pay for the units you have? So far there is basically no info on the seller. No reputation except he was involved with the tesla production. Speaking generally for any online purchase (or purchase in general) he needs to be setting up a paypal storefront or something. Something that gives buyers reassurance to protect the purchase. We don't seem to have even an address of operations. Based on facebook it looks like NC.

If you're a weeb maybe all you need is the voice that plays when you hit the media button :lol:

[MENTION=29061]5.0_SD[/MENTION] does that very well thankfully! I haven't tested it running off of a SIM by itself yet, but no issues the times I've had it tethered to my phone for a connection

[MENTION=33906]Paniolo1[/MENTION] depending on how it's saved (hard to tell without root), it could be a simple update request but hard to say for sure. The android logo that shows up looks animated to me (simple gloss effect).

[MENTION=30139]nancy[/MENTION] sounds about right for the time frame, I know my unit came really quick but everything seems to hinge on China for the timeline right now

[MENTION=31250]17again[/MENTION] I'd have pulled it out already if no steering wheel controls or backup camera worked

[MENTION=26201]Merchant Marine S550[/MENTION] from the last I heard, it is a "small" group. Small in comparison to the number of S550s out there, but probably bigger than the group buy that we would have had from the forum. Just a matter of getting more hands on it because everyone knows that somebody is going to have some sort of issue that nobody else has and the chances of that creeping up during testing is higher with more out there. Hopefully it'd be a quick month of two or beta then a final update to get everything by June? Who knows though!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Paypal and it was to me within 2 weeks of payment. Proper storefront page should be coming before the launch though.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I forgot to ask this.. [MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION] [MENTION=32684]HotBadgerFart[/MENTION] have either of you tried playing music from a usb stick? If so, how's the player? Does it have an EQ in the player like vlc? Lol, almost wish I could run vlc player on it.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10252]5.0[/MENTION]SD Haven't tried USB music yet, but there is a global EQ.

And why couldn't you run VLC player on it?

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Didn't know they made it for droid...awesome...EQ is absolutely essential as I primarily listen to tunes off usb stick and many of them are live recordings that let's just say aren't studio quality, hence the need for EQ...and with them EQ'd they sound great! I probably have about 6-7 TB of tunes...some of them video concerts too.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Took these just for you [MENTION=29061]5.0_SD[/MENTION].

This is the stock/built in music player and using a CD I had copied to a USB drive. Seems like if you have lyrics associated with the file it might play it (swipe the album art and it moves to the lyrics display).

The EQ screen comes up when you hit the left button under the timeline.
IMG_20180221_222715.jpg
IMG_20180221_222657.jpg
IMG_20180221_222728.jpg
IMG_20180221_222706.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As for you and Badger, how did you pay for the units you have? So far there is basically no info on the seller. No reputation except he was involved with the tesla production. Speaking generally for any online purchase (or purchase in general) he needs to be setting up a paypal storefront or something. Something that gives buyers reassurance to protect the purchase. We don't seem to have even an address of operations. Based on facebook it looks like NC.

I paid via PayPal. I actually brought this up when I talked to him this weekend with feedback. They've got a pretty simple checkout system on the way for the official launch, but not sure how it's going to be handled for the Beta Units. I try not to tell people how to run their own businesses, know what I mean?

Have you contacted them directly, Randy?

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I paid via PayPal. I actually brought this up when I talked to him this weekend with feedback. They've got a pretty simple checkout system on the way for the official launch, but not sure how it's going to be handled for the Beta Units. I try not to tell people how to run their own businesses, know what I mean?

Have you contacted them directly, Randy?
I expressed wanting to know more about the beta program over email. I may shoot them another in a few.

17again

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
As of right now, voice commands do not work.
So, no voice calling? I guess we can use "ok google" for that if connected to phone.

Does that mean the voice buttons do nothing now? How about the phone buttons on the wheel?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
So, no voice calling? I guess we can use "ok google" for that if connected to phone.

Does that mean the voice buttons do nothing now? How about the phone buttons on the wheel?
You can still have phone calls, I haven't tested ok google for calling but I'm not 100% sure that'd work. It'd have to route it back through the connected phone versus the typical launching of the phone app that an ok google query would prompt.

I do know that the buttons will answer/hang up calls just fine.

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
For those of us who don't want to pay for a wifi hotspot, will Android Auto work?
Sponsored