Sponsored

8" Android Head Unit Review

mlevans1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Interested in those preamp outputs...AND has anyone with an Iphone tried this unit? I dont need it for streaming music, as id probably use a 4g dongle to have it independent...but it would be nice to bluetooth in for calls. Also, i dont believe anyone has asked, is there any pricing information? Id be willing to be a beta tester.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Interested in those preamp outputs...AND has anyone with an Iphone tried this unit? I dont need it for streaming music, as id probably use a 4g dongle to have it independent...but it would be nice to bluetooth in for calls. Also, i dont believe anyone has asked, is there any pricing information? Id be willing to be a beta tester.
I paired my kid's iPhone 8+ with it, and it works just fine, (despite the fact that it's an iPhone.)

You'll have to contact them for how pricing works out, last I heard they were waiting for the factory to resume operations at the end of February, then they were launching.

Sponsored

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Man, I bet you're a lot of fun at parties...

The backup camera lines, including trajectory are the same as stock. The lines come from the camera itself. The backup camera does run on an interface app embedded in the unit. When you put the car in reverse, it sends a signal through the CANBUS that tells the head unit to switch to the backup camera app. When you take it out of reverse, the 12v is removed and it switches back to the previous app you were on.
So there isn't any noticeable lag from when the camera turns on when you put in reverse? I am really interested in this unit, seems to be a gamechanger. Base radio is a joke.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So there isn't any noticeable lag from when the camera turns on when you put in reverse? I am really interested in this unit, seems to be a gamechanger. Base radio is a joke.

Longest delay I've had was maybe 2 seconds.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with the 2 second delay on the long end, but that was only when I jumped right in and backed up. If you do this in you car now, you get the same kind of delay (at least I noticed it on my base radio a number of times) though so I think it is more of a car issue.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
With my stock radio, there were SO many times I would get "Rearview Camera Not Available" and no idea why, which is why I disconnected it to troubleshoot. Never could find the issue, but it works just fine with this Android unit.

Paniolo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vern
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Ruby Red w/ Black Roof
So, I just spent the last hour on the phone with the guy, and he is going to open up a Beta Program on this unit. It will be a limited number of people (He said at least 20) who are interested in ordering a pre-production unit (like I did) at a discount and providing direct feedback to him, participating in testing patches/updates and feature upgrades before everyone else. He's working on getting all the information together to post on the site (which he said is having issues with his hosting by the way, so just keep trying.)
Nice Unit. Can you say what ballpark we are in regarding price?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Unit. Can you say what ballpark we are in regarding price?
I haven't the slightest idea. You'd have to contact them on their website. last I heard, they were waiting for the factory to resume operations before they could get a quote.

Paniolo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vern
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Ruby Red w/ Black Roof
I haven't the slightest idea. You'd have to contact them on their website. last I heard, they were waiting for the factory to resume operations before they could get a quote.
Thanks. I have done so. It seems as though the Chinese New Year celebration has taken its' annual toll on factory operations.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I have done so. It seems as though the Chinese New Year celebration has taken its' annual toll on factory operations.

Yeah I've seen that before. I'm always looking around at what's available, and pretty much anything from China is postponed until March.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
While I've been tinkering around with it, I managed to disable the HVAC Pop-Up display completely, and it's SO much nicer. With that said, here's why it bothers me...

When you turn your rear defrost on, it pops up. When your defrost shuts off on it's own after 10-15 minutes- It pops up. Adjust fan speed, it pops up. Also, my car is one of the ones that is plagued by the random change in fan velocity in the HVAC system, and that would cause it to pop up too. SO relieved.

Now I'm just trying to unlock the bootloader, so I can root it!