Sponsored

8" Android Head Unit Review

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
There's a tethered option through the Headunit Reloaded app that should work, but I prefer doing everything directly on the head unit - it is faster and smoother.

I don't pay for a hotspot though, I use WiFi tethering from my Pixel on AT&T and I've never been charged extra.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
can some one trying pairing something other then a phone with bluetooth to this?

How is the GPS quality?

Id like to be able to use a external bluetooth GPS.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There's a tethered option through the Headunit Reloaded app that should work, but I prefer doing everything directly on the head unit - it is faster and smoother.

I don't pay for a hotspot though, I use WiFi tethering from my Pixel on AT&T and I've never been charged extra.
For $10 month, I love my hotspot. I actually have it plugged in to the USB port to keep it charged, and since there's an SD card slot in the hotspot that the head unit recognizes as more USB storage, and on top of that it's also a nice little network share, so I can send files from my phone to that hotspot over wireless, then they're essentially on the head unit. I have it aptly named, "Pretty Fly For a Wi-Fi"

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
can some one trying pairing something other then a phone with bluetooth to this?

How is the GPS quality?

Id like to be able to use a external bluetooth GPS.
The integrated GPS is really good, and Waze is nice and smooth. I have an OBDII device paired, what else do you wanna see paired?

Why would you use an external BT GPS if it already has one?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The integrated GPS is really good, and Waze is nice and smooth. I have an OBDII device paired, what else do you wanna see paired?

Why would you use an external BT GPS if it already has one?
I use a 10hz GPS to track my laps at the racetrack. The android radios I have tested had the bluetooth coded in away it was only active by app.

So torque and the AD2P phone app would turn bluetooth on. But any other app couldnt.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24742]firestarter2[/MENTION] ship me your fancy GPS and I'll test it out for you. I don't have anything like that and it seems rather specialized. I remember looking in to some tracks apps or reading something about them here on the forums and don't they almost all require you to combine it all on a computer? I'm not sure how comingling it with the head unit would aid you unless you have an app in mind to receive the information.

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 10hz GPS to track my laps at the racetrack. The android radios I have tested had the bluetooth coded in away it was only active by app.

So torque and the AD2P phone app would turn bluetooth on. But any other app couldnt.
This one so far seems to treat BT more like an Android Phone would. Other than going out and buying another device to test it with, I can test anything you need in Torque or DashCommand (which I just started using and I gotta say, it's a LOT better.)

I did find that the accelerometer is MIA on this device, but not a big deal.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
[MENTION=24742]firestarter2[/MENTION] ship me your fancy GPS and I'll test it out for you. I don't have anything like that and it seems rather specialized. I remember looking in to some tracks apps or reading something about them here on the forums and don't they almost all require you to combine it all on a computer? I'm not sure how comingling it with the head unit would aid you unless you have an app in mind to receive the information.
Let me see if I can find one. I think I had a old one laying around actually.

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport

My carrier charges extra and I just want to be able to run Waze without needing a mobile hotspot.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Like what? They're waiting for China to be back to work right now so everything is just a waiting game right now.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I'm sure we'll have a better idea once the factory re-opens.
Sponsored