CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Update:

Headers arrived on Saturday so I got them dropped off at the shop yesterday. Looking to get the motor sealed up, headers on, and put back into the car here in the following days.
Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Update:

Got the motor sealed up earlier today and test-fit the headers. All looked good. Getting the Mantic Twin-Disc put on and will top it off with the intake manifold here in the next day or so.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Coming in late...

Do you think that manifold will drastically affect low end for daily drivability ?

EDIT: If one were to go NA.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Can you show some updates with pictures?

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Coming in late...

Do you think that manifold will drastically affect low end for daily drivability ?

EDIT: If one were to go NA.
I have no idea. Nobody has run this intake on the car N/A yet so I have no experience to say one way or the other.

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Can you show some updates with pictures?
I'll try to post some pics up, but not much to post at the moment as the intake manifold isn't on the motor yet and it's not back in the car yet either.

Should be getting to that point here very soon. Had to go buy some ARP bolts for the intake manifold today at Summit.

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
To the OP regarding the Cobra Jet intake and clearance issues. Would running a dry sump system gain you any room between the k-member and oil pan so you could lower the engine a bit more? Dry sump pans always seem to be extremely shallow since they don't actually hold any volume of oil. Plus the dry sump sounds like a good idea considering the higher RPMs talked about. Another possible option to use in conjunction with lowering the motor would be to lower the K-member itself with 1/2"-5/8" k member spacers. Not sure how the latter would affect suspension geometry though. I know the '03-'04 Cobra guys use to use them to gain hood clearance with the Whipple 3.4 and 4.0L superchargers.
Just a thought!
Very interested in the outcome of this thread!
Ken

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
To the OP regarding the Cobra Jet intake and clearance issues. Would running a dry sump system gain you any room between the k-member and oil pan so you could lower the engine a bit more? Dry sump pans always seem to be extremely shallow since they don't actually hold any volume of oil. Plus the dry sump sounds like a good idea considering the higher RPMs talked about. Another possible option to use in conjunction with lowering the motor would be to lower the K-member itself with 1/2"-5/8" k member spacers. Not sure how the latter would affect suspension geometry though. I know the '03-'04 Cobra guys use to use them to gain hood clearance with the Whipple 3.4 and 4.0L superchargers.
Just a thought!
Very interested in the outcome of this thread!
Ken
Challenge with the dry sump setup is putting an aftermarket balancer on. Ford specifically recommended against this to me since the 5.2l variant they use was specifically designed for the secondary vibrations.

That said, I’ve run the OEM balancer on my built engine and Tim my builder will be doing a tear down to compare against his engines with the ATI balancer. Wil be interesting data point

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Challenge with the dry sump setup is putting an aftermarket balancer on. Ford specifically recommended against this to me since the 5.2l variant they use was specifically designed for the secondary vibrations.

That said, I’ve run the OEM balancer on my built engine and Tim my builder will be doing a tear down to compare against his engines with the ATI balancer. Wil be interesting data point
Very good to know!
I am definitely interested in seeing the comparison between the 2 when that teardown happens. Thank you

Ken

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
A little teaser shot from earlier today.

umJpQeKA.jpg

Got the American Racing 2" Primary Long-Tube Headers wrapped up in DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap. You can also see the 2020 GT500 oil pan there on the motor for increased oil capacity. Also present is a Powermaster 245-amp alternator for additional power for the Fore Triple-Pump Fuel system that will be present to feed this combination.

Still need to get the water pump, ATI Balancer, etc. on the front.

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
A couple more from today:

yJ9Ky7UA.jpg

bSNE1jPw.jpg

Got the ATI balancer, water pump/pulley and tensioner on.

MMR Billet Rear cover and billet timing wheel. Mantic Twin-Disc going on tomorrow.

Note: My Mantic clutch kit did not include any flywheel bolts. The ARP one's I bought that I thought would work and be better/stronger are not compatible on the 5.2 Voodoo. The bolt heads are too large to get into the pockets of the flywheel and also get a socket around them and they are too short. You must use stock bolts. Naturally, I had to drive to 3 different Ford dealerships across D/FW today to source all 8. Save yourself the hassle and have those in-hand and ready if you are looking to do that installation.

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Note: My Mantic clutch kit did not include any flywheel bolts. The ARP one's I bought that I thought would work and be better/stronger are not compatible on the 5.2 Voodoo. The bolt heads are too large to get into the pockets of the flywheel and also get a socket around them and they are too short. You must use stock bolts. Naturally, I had to drive to 3 different Ford dealerships across D/FW today to source all 8. Save yourself the hassle and have those in-hand and ready if you are looking to do that installation.
I wonder if the flywheel bolts could be cross referenced through ARP to see if they had anything else that used the size needed? For example, say a Mini Cooper engine cover bolt, even if it had to be trimmed down in length a little.
That is a complete example pulled out of my ass.

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I wonder if the flywheel bolts could be cross referenced through ARP to see if they had anything else that used the size needed? For example, say a Mini Cooper engine cover bolt, even if it had to be trimmed down in length a little.
That is a complete example pulled out of my ass.
I called Mantic and asked them about this as they indicated that the kit includes new bolts. I guess at the time my kit was shipped out there was a shortage of bolts and instead of holding the kits up from shipping just for flywheel bolts, they just shipped the kits out. They indicated they ship the kits with new stock bolts anyway so it's not like it's some special bolt they include or anything. It's just stock bolts and Red Loctite 272. It would be nice to get some more Voodoo-specific stuff from ARP, but given the low production #'s of our vehicles per year, I wouldn't hold your breath.

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Another note:

If you are going to utilize the 2020 GT500 oil pan/pickup, you're going to need the 2020 GT500 dipstick tube and dipstick. The stock GT350 units will not be long enough to get a proper oil reading. This will also necessitate that you buy the 2020 GT500 valve covers as well because the new dipstick tube will not seat properly or bolt down to the stock GT350 valve covers.

Part #'s are as follows if you are looking to replicate this setup:

Oil Level Indicator Assembly: KR3Z-6750-A

Oil Level Indicator Tube: KR3Z-6754-A

Ford Performance 5.0/5.2 Aluminum Valve Covers: M-6067-M52S

You're also going to have to extend the oil level sensor wiring as well since it is in a different position than stock.

I'm also running the MMR oil filter relocation kit in anticipation of going twin-turbo so you'll also have to extend the wiring on the oil pressure sensor as well.

Just trying to help others avoid these little knick-nack items that will slow you down in the middle of trying to get a motor put back into a car.
Sponsored

Last edited: