5.0 Active exhaust vs std 5.0 exhaust

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convert 17 GMC Sierra 15 Terrain
I understand how the active exhaust works. What does the std 5.0 exhaust sound like in comparison? Full on loud? Interested in a 2020 thats doesn't have the active exhaust.
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
the normal exhaust sounds nice. active only gets you quiet mode and super loud mode. normal, as i understand it, is the static exhaust.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
If you like the way it sounds it doesnā€™t matter. I was perfectly happy without active exhaust on my 2016 and it sounded great. Since my neighbors kid takes his sport bike out at 7:30 am on weekends, I donā€™t think anyone around me cares if I use quiet mode or not. :blush:

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
Perfectly happy with standard exhaust on my street car.

Active exhaust is primarily another set of controls and moving parts to go wrong. The main plus would be Quiet mode for use in quiet neighborhoods.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Quiet mode is nice for leaving the neighborhood in early morning or for a long drive. It is much quieter than normal (but opens up at high rpm/wide open throttle). I am glad I got it.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Forgetting quiet mode for a moment, can anybody say definitively which one of the AE modes equals the sound of the bone stock non-AE GT car? Or, do none of the AE modes replicate a non-AE GT?

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I don't think there is really a 1 to 1 comparison. Mufflers are different on both and on AE, you have the valves change based on RPM/load. At highway speeds, inside the car, non-AE is louder inside than AE in normal mode. AE in track mode is louder than non-AE.

You can retrofit, but I believe a 2020 will require a tune and can't be done with Forscan alone, like previous years. Depending where you source the parts, probably at least $1500 for everything.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Normal Iā€™d say would be closest to my FP touring on my 2016. All subjective, but plenty IMHO and not too much. Everyone will see this independently. Thatā€™s why I say, none of this matters as long as you like it, and if you donā€™t you can change it, and if you ultimately want A/E anyway Roush I believe has an add on kit. I wouldnā€™t sweat it if you love the car.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had a choice between two convertibles when I bought mine, one with AE and one standard. Since I am hearing impaired, I did a test with hearing aids set to different levels, including cranked to the max. I normally do not drive with hearing aids, this was just a test. I'd say standard exhaust is somewhere in the middle, between AE settings. The tone is different, though. AE is higher pitched.

I bought the car with standard exhaust because it was cheaper and fewer parts to break, since I can't hear it anyway.

faser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
Perfectly happy with standard exhaust on my street car.

Active exhaust is primarily another set of controls and moving parts to go wrong. The main plus would be Quiet mode for use in quiet neighborhoods.
"another set of controls and moving parts to go wrong", really? Probably better off without A/C, PS, PB, power windows, power seats, audio unit, and power door locks also. LOL.

Sponsored

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
Beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. I agree with post #9 that non-AE is probably in the middle for most driving speeds.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
From what I was told the "normal" mode in the active exhaust is the closest thing to the non active mufflers. But I honestly do not believe they can even be compared. The tone is also different.

Your best bet would be to sit in a active exhaust car on a dealer lot and make the comparison for yourself.

The loudest setting in active exhaust is louder than the standard.

I almost did not get the active exhaust, but then I tried one out at the dealership. Its similar to a aftermarket exhaust but its covered under warranty.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
What does the std 5.0 exhaust sound like in comparison? Full on loud? Interested in a 2020 thats doesn't have the active exhaust.
Standard exhaust is good for me. Is it louder than a RAV-4? Sure. It should be. But judging from some of the other Mustangs I hear out in the wild, some people like the load as hell and the standard exhaust doesnā€™t cut it. All relative.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So, the standard exhaust is good, but I feel like it will leave most people wanting because it's definitely on the quiet side. It's somewhere between quiet and normal on the active exhaust option.

Active exhaust is almost always worth it if you can get it in my opinion, unless you know for sure you're getting a full cat back anyway. Resonator replacement with active exhaust sounds really good and has great volume in track mode, I've heard it in person.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
"another set of controls and moving parts to go wrong", really? Probably better off without A/C, PS, PB, power windows, power seats, audio unit, and power door locks also. LOL.
LOL, exactly. I was told the same thing by a sales guy in a GM dealership when looking at Dodge Caravan - "it's good that this trim doesn't have power sliding doors. If it's not there, it won't break". Needless to say that I left and headed to nearby Honda dealership.

The whole car is a collection of controls and moving parts. If one is afraid that they break, they should buy steel reinforced block of concrete.
Sponsored