Sponsored

3M Clear Bra for our new 2015 Mustang

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
All this stuff has a loyal following - for a year. Or else their car never leaves the garage. But in the real world, people try this once and never again.
Sponsored

eurospeed

Threads
Reaction score
All this stuff has a loyal following - for a year. Or else their car never leaves the garage. But in the real world, people try this once and never again.
That's complete bunk. I've used 3M Scotchgard on my last 7 vehicles and never had issues. Of course it won't look as good as a shiny new paint job, but the protection is magnitudes beyond anything else available especially if you do a considerable amount of highway or winter driving.

Some people make the mistake of using an inferior brand (3M and XPEL are the only two quality brands IMO) and will experience yellowing, hazing, and other issues. Also if you don't like seeing lines from the product, then clear the whole front end for maximum coverage. My wife put XPEL on her hood and fenders and you can't tell it is there.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I know folks who use this product - Road Wrap. It's a temporary barrier, similar to using painter's tape.

New2Ford

Threads
Reaction score
What do you guys think of opti coat. Does that stuff protect at all from rock chips? I know it's more of a clear coat, but I was wondering if it also protects from chips.

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
The dealership I work at installs the clear bras from 3M and is actually a certified instructor-shop as well, training installers in the area. They do a phenomenal job, making the bra completely disappear. After a year or so however, not a chance. The edges become very obvious with dirt incursion(impossible to clean 100%) and UV discoloration plus inevitable damage from washing/scrubbing or environmental effects. After about two years every car with the clear bra is painfully obvious and the bra itself begins to discolor(not quite yellow, more like a frosted clear/white) and will stick out on any color other than silver or white.
This is 100% correct...look at any car with one of these clear bras after a year or so...bleh !! horrid for sure. :thumbdown:

Sponsored

GTTK

Threads
Reaction score
In retrospect I wish I put the clear bra on my car. If you do a lot of highway driving I feel it's a must.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Painters tape on hood, mirrors and all leading edges...easy, cheap and convenient.

Roadwrap if you don't want to look like a goof..

Dirdle65

Threads
Reaction score
Back in 2006 I didn't have the $ to install the clear bra on the hood/bumper on my Mazda Mx-5 (Miata) but instead purchased 3M clear bra's for the fog lights and headlights. Came out well doing it myself. A few bubbles that went away once summer hit here.

To this day - what, 8 years later, my headlights are perfectly clear...and they are plastic. I don't see any other cars from that time period with crystal clear headlights due to the UV damage of the plastic (my car is parked outside 24/7). The fog lights don't get hit with sun but instead rocks and haven't even chipped yet. Best thing I ever did.

I would only get the full clear bra installed by a professional as it's super hard to get right. I would highly recommend.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Have you all given any thought about getting a clear bra on the front of our new rides?

I would love to get one when I pick up the car as I will be driving it from PA to GA. I am sure I won't be that lucky for a vendor to have these ready by that time since I expect my car in the October time frame as I ordered on 5/20.

Any one have any insight on how quickly 3M produces their new bra's for newly released models?

I am going to reach out to them and see what I can find out.
I'm getting my whole mustang most likely done in 3M. My friend has her Race Red 2011 Mustang covered and after 3 years, it still looks like brand new. She paid around $3k for it...but that was years ago...most likely much cheaper now.

The dealership I work at installs the clear bras from 3M and is actually a certified instructor-shop as well, training installers in the area. They do a phenomenal job, making the bra completely disappear. After a year or so however, not a chance. The edges become very obvious with dirt incursion(impossible to clean 100%) and UV discoloration plus inevitable damage from washing/scrubbing or environmental effects. After about two years every car with the clear bra is painfully obvious and the bra itself begins to discolor(not quite yellow, more like a frosted clear/white) and will stick out on any color other than silver or white.
I'll find out the name of the person that did hers (since we're both from NOVA) because she has nothing like what you are describing. Her's looks pretty flawless.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'll find out the name of the person that did hers (since we're both from NOVA) because she has nothing like what you are describing. Her's looks pretty flawless.

As I said before our guys do a phenomenal job on the installation, taking nearly an entire day. We do primarily Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche, with an Audi R8 and Porsche Carrera GT in the shop in the last two weeks. If you didn't know it was there you would never notice and you could imagine these are demanding customers. It's just that after a year or so the effects of the real world take their toll and the bra becomes more obvious than any damage it is there to protect against.

I understand people's individual results can vary, just that I see these cars several times a week and the majority of them more than a year old were instantly obvious. Darker colors are much worse. Silver is the best, with white and grey right behind.

Sponsored

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
I've had the 3m clear bra on my Raptor since it was purchased new in 2010. It is garage kept and I have covered parking at work. You can only tell it's on there if your up real close and see the edges which aren't discolored or dirty, just an ever so slight edge, and I live in AZ where the sun just hammers the crap out of anything plastic. I do have one spot that's just all buggered up from a gnarly rock strike but 0 damage to the paint. My Raptor is Molten Orange and I have no interest in repairing paint chips or repainting the truck. It looks like a 3 stage paint job with a orange base, metal flake and almost a slight pearl to the clear which I sure would cost me a 2nd mortgage on my house.

Figures

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have not had a clear bra on any of my cars before but I plan on having one done. Here is a good video on how they do it and also explains why some discolor: [ame] and another on how you can clean it and keep it clean

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I like my Women like I like my cars, not stoned to death.

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
I like my Women like I like my cars, not stoned to death.
I like my women/cars nailed on the floor and with their rear hanging out all the time.

On another topic; If one was to keep a clear bra on for approximately two years, then decides that it's no longer looking nice and remove the clear bra is it: A. hard to remove? B. does it leave any evidence of it being there for 2 years, once removed?
Sponsored