3M Clear Bra for our new 2015 Mustang

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Have you all given any thought about getting a clear bra on the front of our new rides?

I would love to get one when I pick up the car as I will be driving it from PA to GA. I am sure I won't be that lucky for a vendor to have these ready by that time since I expect my car in the October time frame as I ordered on 5/20.

Any one have any insight on how quickly 3M produces their new bra's for newly released models?

I am going to reach out to them and see what I can find out.
Sponsored

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Perf Pack, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Have you all given any thought about getting a clear bra on the front of our new rides?

I would love to get one when I pick up the car as I will be driving it from PA to GA. I am sure I won't be that lucky for a vendor to have these ready by that time since I expect my car in the October time frame as I ordered on 5/20.

Any one have any insight on how quickly 3M produces their new bra's for newly released models?

I am going to reach out to them and see what I can find out.
I like my cars the same as I like my women.....Bra-less!

OP
OP
Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I like my cars the same as I like my women.....Bra-less!
Me too:amen::eyebulge:...But....Driving my brand new GT some 900 miles to get home, right after I get it, makes me scared for paint chips. I have never had a clear bra on any of my Mustangs and other cars, so this would be a first.

Proudgeek

OCD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three Stangs
I am not sure 3M makes the bras but the material used... but I may be mistaken. I suspect some 3rd party measures and creates the cutting template for vehicles down to the trim level.

These bras are wonderful and provide a great level of protection while practically invisible. Will definitely be getting one as I have had great success with the one I installed on my bullitt.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The dealership I work at installs the clear bras from 3M and is actually a certified instructor-shop as well, training installers in the area. They do a phenomenal job, making the bra completely disappear. After a year or so however, not a chance. The edges become very obvious with dirt incursion(impossible to clean 100%) and UV discoloration plus inevitable damage from washing/scrubbing or environmental effects. After about two years every car with the clear bra is painfully obvious and the bra itself begins to discolor(not quite yellow, more like a frosted clear/white) and will stick out on any color other than silver or white.

OP
OP
Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
The dealership I work at installs the clear bras from 3M and is actually a certified instructor-shop as well, training installers in the area. They do a phenomenal job, making the bra completely disappear. After a year or so however, not a chance. The edges become very obvious with dirt incursion(impossible to clean 100%) and UV discoloration plus inevitable damage from washing/scrubbing or environmental effects. After about two years every car with the clear bra is painfully obvious and the bra itself begins to discolor(not quite yellow, more like a frosted clear/white) and will stick out on any color other than silver or white.
Oh....very interesting. I would've assumed they would have a longer life expectancy than that. Looks like I will reconsider this...Thanks for the info!

MikeAZ

DIB Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Oh....very interesting. I would've assumed they would have a longer life expectancy than that. Looks like I will reconsider this...Thanks for the info!
These come off fairly easily with minimal effort (sometimes Goo Gone or equivalent makes final cleanup quicker). If you want the extra paint protection (works well keeping the front hood edge and door edges from chipping) then just treat it as a maintenence item and have it reinstalled every 12 to 24 months as needed.

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I highly recommend a clear bra.

I've put a clear bra on the last 3 cars I've owned and wouldn't go without one.
My 2013 GT has one on for just over 2 years. It looks perfect, its hardly noticeable unless you look very close and it is not discolored.

I have Zero rock chips.

I doubt a template will be available immediately for the 15 model...
Custom jobs with a razor blade make me cautious.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
. After a year or so however, not a chance. The edges become very obvious with dirt incursion(impossible to clean 100%) and UV discoloration plus inevitable damage from washing/scrubbing.
Exactly, I have one on my G and I wish I didn't. It's got a line half way up the hood. And there is no way to get the thing off after it's been on - or at least with any expectation that the paint will ever be normal again. And if you ever get any damage, it shows.

3M has a nice piece of tape... but it makes a lousy addition to a car.

MikeSVTGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GTCS, 2015 LE #399
I have had a clear bra on my 2011 for 4 yrs now. Still looks great and no rock chips :)

Wdlfbio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 335 xi, '07 2500 HD Duramax
If you're worried primarily about the road trip, painters tape it. We did that on our E92 M3 from Long Beach to Seattle. Sure made the rest of the car look filthy when we pulled the tape off though.

OP
OP
Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
If you're worried primarily about the road trip, painters tape it. We did that on our E92 M3 from Long Beach to Seattle. Sure made the rest of the car look filthy when we pulled the paint off though.
That is a great idea! I have seen that done and didn't think about this until you just posted it.

I think that will be the route I go. Will be much easier and not a PITA :)

Thanks so much:headbang:

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
On another board I frequent XPEL has a loyal following-->:shrug:
Sponsored