Sponsored

3M Clear Bra for our new 2015 Mustang

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
So in the end, isn't it more obvious to an observer when people put these bras on than the actual stone chips in the paint? The only thing that ever made sense to me were the non adhesive old school bras and only for a long road trip....Other than that they (both kinds) look terrible imo and completely defeat their purpose.
:amen:

I always imagine people who have clear bras on their cars also have plastic covers on their sofas at home. And bubly screen protectors on their cell phones.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
:amen:

I always imagine people who have clear bras on their cars also have plastic covers on their sofas at home. And bubly screen protectors on their cell phones.
lol. i understand the reason you would make that analogy. Some counters though - I dont have the latter two but do have the clear bra. it's a matter of relative risk of damage to me. the phones have gorilla glass 2/3 which is pretty scratch resistant - as a result screen protectors don't add much value (I used to have them on older phones). If you put a plastic on a sofa you are avoiding enjoying the nice leather - so again self defeating.

The clear bra OTOH is not any inconvenience and for most will not hamper enjoyment of using the car, while giving an added amount of peace of mind. Depending on where you live, paint can easily get peppered with crap from trucks etc and look like crap after a few years. I do like my cars looking new (at the same time enjoying the heck out of them daily)...

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I personally would like to do the Clear Bra on My Mustang. Besides the Obvious Stone Chips which are Common here in Florida, I'm not sure where else but We also get these little Bastards a Few Times a Year here in Florida. They're called called Love Bugs that are Literally Acid Filled and Eat Right Through the Paint on Your Car if Not Washed/Scrubbed Off the front of Your Car the same day. A lot of Better, Reputable Used Car Dealers here have the Front Bumper Cover of most of their cars Re Sprayed before selling them thanks to Love Bug Damage.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I personally would like to do the Clear Bra on My Mustang. Besides the Obvious Stone Chips which are Common here in Florida, I'm not sure where else but We also get these little Bastards a Few Times a Year here in Florida. They're called called Love Bugs that are Literally Acid Filled and Eat Right Through the Paint on Your Car if Not Washed/Scrubbed Off the front of Your Car the same day. A lot of Better, Reputable Used Car Dealers here have the Front Bumper Cover of most of their cars Re Sprayed before selling them thanks to Love Bug Damage.

NASTY! Yuck. Clear bra is a no brainer in that case, I'd do every frontal surface.

Sponsored

Johnnybear

Future Mustang owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Passat Wagon, Jeep Wrangler, 1979 Mustang
Me too:amen::eyebulge:...But....Driving my brand new GT some 900 miles to get home, right after I get it, makes me scared for paint chips. I have never had a clear bra on any of my Mustangs and other cars, so this would be a first.
Use a product called Plastidip, it will protect your paint and peels off when you want it off.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
So, how well does plastidip actually protect the underlying paint from rock chips? It seems to me like it wouldn't be thick enough to prevent chipping, but I was curious about this as an option.

How many coats would you need to get adequate protection?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
It's not, at least for rock chips. Did a bunch of research on it. Also came to the conclusion he could be a spammer as his join date is this month and his first post is promoting a product. Came across a couple extremely biased plasti dip articles as well.

Also, as for durability it seems 3m scotch guard is the best at least by looking at some video reviews. A second is xpel. There are some instances where xpel is better but the 3m is better in more categories. But there's lots of stuff on Google and YouTube for you to make up your own mind

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
So, how well does plastidip actually protect the underlying paint from rock chips? It seems to me like it wouldn't be thick enough to prevent chipping, but I was curious about this as an option.
That would depend on the size of the rock, I'm sure. :)

How many coats would you need to get adequate protection?
I believe they recommend a minimum of 4-5 coats.

The good thing is it's relatively inexpensive to try, and comes off easily as long as you use enough coats. If I did enough highway driving to care, I might give it a shot myself just to be able to come to my own conclusions.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Also, as for durability it seems 3m scotch guard is the best at least by looking at some video reviews. A second is xpel. There are some instances where xpel is better but the 3m is better in more categories. But there's lots of stuff on Google and YouTube for you to make up your own mind
I have both Ventureshield (I believe bought by 3M) and the 3M original on my BMW depending on the section. The 3M has a clear coat on it (with a very slight orange peel texture), the VS is completely clear. Both are working well after over 2 years however I do feel the 3M feels a bit thicker (and the finish looks more matched to a real clear coat). Overall I'd say I'm indifferent. I dont recall the reasons the installer mixed them, may have been something to do with the 3M not coming in a sheet large enough for the full M6 hood, but I might be wrong.

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Yeah, seems more that plastidip could be used to protect the paint from bugs since its just a barrier to the clear coat.

I'm on the fence about adding a 3M bra. I'd expect a template would be available by the time initial delivery is upon us, since some cars are passed around for third-party vendors to be prepared in time for launch.

But my Jetta has fared reasonable in the past 6 years without any extra protection. Yes, there are a few rock chips, but TBH, the majority of the paint damage was done by the dealer's car wash gone mad all over my hood. Unfortunately, I didn't spot it before I drove it home after a service and 'free' car wash, so I didn't press the issue for them to fix it when I took it back in for the next service although they did buff out what they could.

My Mustang won't see a car wash, EVER.

I just purchased a Porter Cable polisher and a ton of other things to care for my new car's exterior and interior, so I think I'm going to go unprotected. Maybe I'll just plan on fresh paint at the time I retire the car from my DD to my Garage Queen.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
But my Jetta has fared reasonable in the past 6 years without any extra protection. Yes, there are a few rock chips, but TBH, the majority of the paint damage was done by the dealer's car wash gone mad all over my hood. Unfortunately, I didn't spot it before I drove it home after a service and 'free' car wash, so I didn't press the issue for them to fix it when I took it back in for the next service although they did buff out what they could.

My Mustang won't see a car wash, EVER.
Reminds me to tell the dealer not to wash my car after arrival. I only trust a handful of local area shops with a handwash/wax etc. Anything else is swirl heaven.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Reminds me to tell the dealer not to wash my car after arrival. I only trust a handful of local area shops with a handwash/wax etc. Anything else is swirl heaven.
Are there concerns about brushless washes with blow dryers as well?

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Are there concerns about brushless washes with blow dryers as well?
I usually run my car through one of these touch free ones by my house before bucket washing, I don't think it does any damage that I've seen and my car is black...FWIW

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I usually run my car through one of these touch free ones by my house before bucket washing, I don't think it does any damage that I've seen and my car is black...FWIW
Good, thanks. My local dealership has a "free" (I use that term loosely) carwash for customers. They slap an RFID tag on the windshield which gives you the free version of a wash, but it's the lowest end wash with no drying, etc. I always end up paying for the more expensive wash. At least it's brushless. I will never put my car through a wash that isn't.
Sponsored