3M adhesive remover

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
My car is ceramic coated. Will this damage the coating? I’d like to swap my chrome 5.0 badges for matte black ones.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t say. But I use the 3m adhesive professional strength, let me tell you.

It’s brutal on adhesives. Can’t imagine it’s good for it. But it’s purely chemical reaction. It may not effect it at all. But it destroys petroleum rubber

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just use a heat gun? No chemicals involved. Once the emblems are removed, use the heat gun again and a plastic razor blade (credit card works too) to remove the remaining adhesive. I learned this "Trick" from guys who run body shops years ago. Awhile back helped a buddy remove three (yes THREE) different "badges" applied to the used truck he bought. I had removed two while he was still working on the third (he was using chemicals).

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
A heat gun will help but perhaps the best method is a steam gun. That speeds things up considerably but you still need the AR to get the remaining goo off. If you go the heat gun route, be careful and if it's adjustable, keep it below 200F.

Sponsored

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
I typically use a heat gun and fishing line to cut through the adhesive tape then I just recently got one of the rubber adhesive removal wheels and let me tell you......life changing

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I typically use a heat gun and fishing line to cut through the adhesive tape then I just recently got one of the rubber adhesive removal wheels and let me tell you......life changing

The eraser wheels are great. But they will 'burn' clear coat (especially thin newer stuff) if you aren't very careful.

I've never had a problem with heat gun damaging anything. Go back and forth over the emblem - don't hold it one place. Start removing the emblem (Fishing line works - but I usually don't need it) As you get it coming off, add the heat gun back in aimed at the part you've exposed (adhesive) while you are putting pressure on the emblem.

Tip - if you can still hold the emblem with your hand - odds are it's not hot enough to damage clear coat.

I used this same procedure on my '19 when I replaced the factory base GT spoiler with an OEM PP1 spoiler. Zero issues.

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
I second that. Couldn't believe I didn't get one sooner.

OP
OP
Decible

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I thought about using an eraser but the clear coat is super thin on these newer cars. I usually use a hair dryer and fishing line to cause the emblem off. But it needs to be cleaned up and adhesive remover seems to be the safe clear coat option. I just don’t know if it’s ceramic coat safe.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Decible

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Brake cleaner is a pretty harsh solvent though 🥴

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Brake cleaner is a pretty harsh solvent though 🥴
It is, but it will work. I used it to remove industrial strength 3M double stick tape from the spare tire well on my car when I was installing the amp rack. It didn’t hurt a thing and it softened the 3M tape enough to make it easy to remove with a minimal amount of elbow grease. The e-coating wasn’t even affected.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You can also use PAM cooking spray to remove the residual adhesive, but it will require more elbow grease than the Brake and Parts Cleaner.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
If it was me, I would be using CarPro TarX.

https://carpro.global/catalog/tarx/
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/collections/decontamination/products/c7-carpro-tar-x

IMG-4973.jpg

This will be safe on your ceramic coating.

Soak some into a microfibre towel, dab the area to be treated and let it soak for a few minutes. Reapply in this method to allow the product to loosen the adhesive. Then use a microfibre to start removing the adhesive. You may need to repeat this process a couple of times depending on how stubborn the adhesive is.

Doing it this way will help avoid stronger chemicals (no brake cleaner please), prevent damage to the clear coat and preserve you ceramic coating.

OP
OP
Decible

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
If it was me, I would be using CarPro TarX.

https://carpro.global/catalog/tarx/
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/collections/decontamination/products/c7-carpro-tar-x

IMG-4973.jpg

This will be safe on your ceramic coating.

Soak some into a microfibre towel, dab the area to be treated and let it soak for a few minutes. Reapply in this method to allow the product to loosen the adhesive. Then use a microfibre to start removing the adhesive. You may need to repeat this process a couple of times depending on how stubborn the adhesive is.

Doing it this way will help avoid stronger chemicals (no brake cleaner please), prevent damage to the clear coat and preserve you ceramic coating.
I like this....I’m going to give this a shot!! Thank you!!
Sponsored