3/4" vs. 13/16" Lug-Nuts

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I recently bought some 3/4" Gorilla one-piece lug nuts to replace the 2-pice 13/16 junk that comes with the Mustang. When I receive them I notice the reduced diameter of the lug nut significantly reduces the surface area that the nut has to contact the wheel seat. I'm now worried that the smaller nut, which is the correct one only with a smaller diameter, will be sufficient with all the horsepower the new 5.0s produce. Has anyone installed the smaller 3/4" lug-nuts on their car? I would hate to destroy my wheels and think I should have probably ordered a one-piece 13/16 replacement. The company won't let me return them as it is past their 60-day return policy. Your thoughts please.
'
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
simply put, the guy at Gorilla suggested to me to always fill the lug seat, especially when the wheels are not steel.

I think the OEM replacements from Gorilla are the 61147CX or 61148CX

OP
OP
rbkennedy1950

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
simply put, the guy at Gorilla suggested to me to always fill the lug seat, especially when the wheels are not steel.

I

I agree with you and the Gorilla guy. I'm not going to use the smaller ones as they do not fill the lug seat and the possibility of destroying 4 wheels is just not worth it. Thanks

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The thing is, the contact area between the nut and the seat is the same. See post #12 in the thread mentioned above.
So in the end it's just a cosmetic thing. The fatter nuts look better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rbkennedy1950

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'll put the new lug nuts in the seat again but I did that before and I'm sure they did not fill it completely that's what got me worried and why I started this thread. I'm not sure I believe that the lug nut in the picture of post #12 only contacts to where he has the arrow pointing. When I look at the wear pattern on my factory ones it seems to be much higher up on the nut. I think I'm going to take one of my nuts off today and put black magic marker all over the contact area and torque it in, I'll then take it off and see how much of it contact's the wheel seat.
The thing is, the contact area between the nut and the seat is the same. See post #12 in the thread mentioned above.
, that's what got me worried and

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I believe that the lug nut in the picture of post #12 only contacts to where he has the arrow pointing.
I added dry wipe marker to mine then assembled / disassembled and photoed / measured the largest contact diameter :

AD019766-4-EA4-4-D85-A1-BE-C259-F4992921.jpg

That's based on a PP1 rear wheel :like: (post #12 was also a PP1 wheel)

WD :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
To each his own, everyone loves Gorilla guessing its the word Gorilla, sounds macho.

The idea that anything almost fits, comes close to is not an acceptable option. Unwilling to accept that as a product spec, as said to each his own.

Just for grins these are steeda lugs look factory to me. BTW are 13/16 and listed as a factory replacement part.

IMG_0042.jpeg

OP
OP
rbkennedy1950

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
On the Gorilla nuts I just bought the diameter at the widest point is .87". Your measurement of 25mm is .98" (almost exactly what I got when I measured my wear pattern on the original Ford lug-nuts). To me, that is a big enough difference to not use the smaller nuts, that's approximately 11% less contact area which may not sound like a lot but like you said, "almost fits is not acceptable."

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To each his own, everyone loves Gorilla guessing its the word Gorilla, sounds macho.

The idea that anything almost fits, comes close to is not an acceptable option. Unwilling to accept that as a product spec, as said to each his own.

Just for grins these are steeda lugs look factory to me. BTW are 13/16 and listed as a factory replacement part.

IMG_0042.jpeg
I believe those are the Gorilla 61148 that Gorilla make as the OEM replacement as bulk packaged. The 61147 are the same except they are blister packed. Zooming in they even say it on the lug nut 61148CX.

CJPony lists these ( Gorilla 41148) as being OEM replacements but according to the rep from Gorilla they are not to be used with OEM wheels. They are really meant for aftermarket wheels with smaller diameter lug nut seats. These are only about 0.92" in seat diameter - much too narrow for OEM seats.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rbkennedy1950

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yes, these are exactly the nuts I purchased from CJ Pony parts; 41148HT. I tried to return them to buy the correct nuts but it has been more than 60 days since I purchased them and they will not take them back, even though I want to purchase a more expensive set. Perhaps now that I know that they should not be used, and can quote the Gorilla Rep, they will take them back. I'm going to write a letter to the President of CJ Pony parts and complain about this. Until they remedy this situation I'm not buying anything else from them.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I believe those are the Gorilla 61148 that Gorilla make as the OEM replacement as bulk packaged. The 61147 are the same except they are blister packed. Zooming in they even say it on the lug nut 61148CX.
No way to tell that is the box they were shipped in,

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure that's true. I have some wheels with a 0.75" wide cone and others with a 1" wide cone. See post #78 on that thread. As long as the lug nut is as wide as the seating area, I think you're good, but I wouldn't use a small Gorilla lug (0.87" wide cone) on a wheel with a 1" wide seating area.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not sure that's true. I have some wheels with a 0.75" wide cone and others with a 1" wide cone. See post #78 on that thread. As long as the lug nut is as wide as the seating area, I think you're good, but I wouldn't use a small Gorilla lug (0.87" wide cone) on a wheel with a 1" wide seating area.
I agree. AS long as the lug nut is as wide or wider than the lug seat on the wheel, I think you are fine.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No way to tell that is the box they were shipped in,
That's correct. With the Gorilla part numbers, the last digit is usually the packaging type (clamshell, loose is a bag, etc).
Sponsored