Sponsored

3/36 is almost up. Ford ESP or no?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Decision time regarding the Ford ESP is rapidly approaching. My car has 8675 miles currently. I drive it to and from work a few times a week in spring/summer/autumn and I try to get at least 6 or 8 track days a year out of it.

I have always been of the mind that an extended warranty is for suckers. But I am waffling on this particular car because of the costs associated with certain repairs and the high failure rate of certain components (e.g., AC).

PremiumCare 8/48 is $2600 at Flood/Anderson and $2550 at Granger
ExtraCare 8/48 is $1985 from Flood/Anderson and $1935 at Granger.

If I buy the warranty it will be for the extra years of coverage and not the mileage. I will likely never reach 48000 miles in this car within 8 years, but track miles are obviously harder on the vehicle than commuter miles.

These cars do not have any of the "High tech" that the PremiumCare adds, but it is a bit annoying that ExtraCare excludes some relatively basic things like the rear suspension.

Also, I generally hate taking the car in to the dealership for any kind of warranty work unless it is a high cost item or one I cannot physically repair myself. I've made some repairs on this car already that could have been done at the dealership under warranty but they were all less than $300.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I'm at 34,500 miles in a 2019 and I am planning on getting the extended warranty to 5 year/75,000 miles since that is what I am on par to reach.

My truck.... Nahhh, nothing... it's a truck!

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Decision time regarding the Ford ESP is rapidly approaching. My car has 8675 miles currently. I drive it to and from work a few times a week in spring/summer/autumn and I try to get at least 6 or 8 track days a year out of it.

I have always been of the mind that an extended warranty is for suckers. But I am waffling on this particular car because of the costs associated with certain repairs and the high failure rate of certain components (e.g., AC).

PremiumCare 8/48 is $2600 at Flood/Anderson and $2550 at Granger
ExtraCare 8/48 is $1985 from Flood/Anderson and $1935 at Granger.

If I buy the warranty it will be for the extra years of coverage and not the mileage. I will likely never reach 48000 miles in this car within 8 years, but track miles are obviously harder on the vehicle than commuter miles.

These cars do not have any of the "High tech" that the PremiumCare adds, but it is a bit annoying that ExtraCare excludes some relatively basic things like the rear suspension.

Also, I generally hate taking the car in to the dealership for any kind of warranty work unless it is a high cost item or one I cannot physically repair myself. I've made some repairs on this car already that could have been done at the dealership under warranty but they were all less than $300.

What do you guys think?
When is your 5/60 power train warranty expiring?

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
When is your 5/60 power train warranty expiring?
April 2024

So the high value components (other than AC) are covered for two more years.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
April 2024

So the high value components (other than AC) are covered for two more years.
My thinking exactly
The most expensive failure being the engine or other power train components it would be a waste of money for the next 2 years to have it covered under the extended warranty instead of the original one
Wait until just before the 5/60 expiration to make a decision
Do that make sense ?

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I say go for it! Granger has a good deal.

My GT350 is covered under the PremiumCare ESP until 6/2029, but I hope I never have to use it

Kramerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was was recently in the exact same scenario as you. I use my car for track weekends and the occasional weekend or work drive. My 2017 is at 9,8** miles as of this writing. I plan on keeping the car indefinitely and with the reasons you stated above I decided to get the basic care ESP from Anderson. I went with 8 yrs/75k. This was the first ESP that I have ever purchased and its something I never thought I would do but when laying out all the info I just described it just made sense to me.

I can understand those who have trepidation towards dealer service but with the costs associated with some of these repairs I personally wouldn't lost any sleep over taking my car in for repairs. I feel like communication of expectations with the service staff can alleviate a lot of headaches. Just my .02 cents.

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just went with the extended powertrain warranty through Ford last year right before the factory went one went out.

17 with 9k mi. 4 year warranty, $100 deductible. Like you not concerned about the milage associated with it. Good piece of mine in case something catastrophic happens in the future. First extended warranty I've purchased in over a decade easy though.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My thinking exactly
The most expensive failure being the engine or other power train components it would be a waste of money for the next 2 years to have it covered under the extended warranty instead of the original one
Wait until just before the 5/60 expiration to make a decision
Do that make sense ?
Sadly the extended warranty business being the racket that it is, you have to purchase the Ford ESP prior to the end of the 3/36 otherwise things get more complicated and expensive.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I was was recently in the exact same scenario as you. I use my car for track weekends and the occasional weekend or work drive. My 2017 is at 9,8** miles as of this writing. I plan on keeping the car indefinitely and with the reasons you stated above I decided to get the basic care ESP from Anderson. I went with 8 yrs/75k. This was the first ESP that I have ever purchased and its something I never thought I would do but when laying out all the info I just described it just made sense to me.

I can understand those who have trepidation towards dealer service but with the costs associated with some of these repairs I personally wouldn't lost any sleep over taking my car in for repairs. I feel like communication of expectations with the service staff can alleviate a lot of headaches. Just my .02 cents.
Yeah those are good points. I too plan to keep the car indefinitely. But damn the inertia and bias against extended warranties is just so difficult to overcome.

Sponsored

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I am in this exact same situation too. I'm glad that you posted this question. I have never purchased an extended warranty on any other vehicle, but I find myself seriously considering it. The original 3yr warranty expires next month and I just purchased this vehicle last November. The current inflation situation and unique nature of the GT350 is definitely making me reconsider. Obviously, insurance is a "gamble" and typically the house wins. The real question is whether or not something on the magnitude $2500-$3000 will happen in the next 5yrs to justify the expense. Hmmm, what to do?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My advice is buy the warranty if you are going to keep the car.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My advice is buy the warranty if you are going to keep the car.
Do you think the PremiumCare is worth it vs some of the other options?

Also, can anyone who has purchased from Granger enlighten me as to how the actual purchase works? They just told me they would send me an invoice and I could pay with my credit card.

My issue is that I get 5% back on online purchases, and so obviously I will get that from Anderson or Flood if I buy via the website. But if the Granger process is not via a website then it doesn't make sense for me even with the $50 discount.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
In my opinion, I would retain my bumper to bumper. I would not opt into anything more. Opt for a commensurate miles at a maximum time. Premium care seems to fit that description.

If you are tracking your car, it is a no brainer
Sponsored