2024 Mach 1 replacement

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I just noticed something else from the spec sheet. It looks like the dark horse got the all the gt350/500 parts including the gt350 brakes. Can someone confirm. The 390x36 rotor and 36mm pots on the calipers?
Sponsored

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
...So no Mach 1 for 2024? Or a Shelby GT500? If so, are they afraid anything beyond the EcoBoost and GT will overshadow the Dark Horse?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
...So no Mach 1 for 2024? Or a Shelby GT500? If so, are they afraid anything beyond the EcoBoost and GT will overshadow the Dark Horse?
My guess is they let the Dark Horse run a couple years, bring in a Boss halfway through the gen 7 run then cap off the ICE Mustang era with a Shelby. Total guess on my part though.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I'll say about the Dork Horse what I did about the Mach1. Should have just called it the GT Hi-Po to be inline with the EcoBoost Hi-Po. In both cases it would have caused a lot less people bitching/complaining about the name being dumb/stupid/not living up to expectations and would be 100% accurate. More so with the 80's retro theme they went for.
Hellcat=Darkhorse. The marketing departments must be copying each other.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41200568/2024-ford-mustang-revealed/

Best article for detailed mechanical changes I have read yet.
excerpts below

" The fourth generation of the Coyote engine adds dual throttle bodies fed by dual air intakes, a setup that Ford says provides better airflow and helps increase horsepower. We don't yet know the engine's exact output, but Ford says the updated V-8 is the most powerful one yet in a Mustang, so it should exceed the current version's 480 horses and 420 pound-feet of torque. The 5.0 also receives a new steel oil pan that's said to help improve oil flow and reduce friction. The driver's-side exhaust manifold has been updated, too, and the camshaft timing on the exhaust side has been revised. The V-8 still comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, which Ford paired with a new dual-mass flywheel that is more robust. The 10-speed automatic remains an option, and it has minor updates meant to improve shift speeds and programming. "​
" Sadly, the four-pot is now only offered with the 10-speed automatic due to low take rates for the manual transmission. "​
" By and large, the new Mustang has the same platform as its predecessor, with the two sharing an essentially identical 107.0-inch wheelbase. Still, Ford did tweak things by specifying aluminum for both front lower links on all cars, changing the design of the suspension knuckles, and updating the rear suspension links to units inspired by the Shelby GT350. The Mustang also has new spring rates and shocks that are said to better match each specific model's ride and performance targets. Most notably, the steering system has been heavily revised with a new rack, a quicker ratio, and other changes that Ford claims make the tiller more responsive (20 percent, to be exact). The Mustang also now has a flat-bottom steering wheel with a thicker rim and a slightly smaller diameter. "​
" Mustangs with the Performance pack now wear Pirelli P Zero PZ4 summer tires instead of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires; a set of Continental all-seasons are standard. With GT models, the Performance package also includes brake ducts and an auxiliary engine oil cooler."​

How does P Zero PZ4 compare to Pilot Sport 4s & Cup2s?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dreadomir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2022 Race Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premium
While ordering my Mach 1, I pretty much became friends with my dealer. I asked him about a 2023/2024 Mach 1 and he told me that there won't be one. He also told me that he put in an order for a golden ticket GT500 Heritage Edition, and getting rid of his 2017 GTR because there won't be a GT500 for the next gen Mustang either, so he wants to get one before their gone. Now, that's just what the dealer said, but it seems the Dark Horse is pretty much replacing the Mach 1 and both Shelby models. They have a Dark Horse R according to the reveal, and some other track stuff.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41200568/2024-ford-mustang-revealed/

Best article for detailed mechanical changes I have read yet.
excerpts below

" The fourth generation of the Coyote engine adds dual throttle bodies fed by dual air intakes, a setup that Ford says provides better airflow and helps increase horsepower. We don't yet know the engine's exact output, but Ford says the updated V-8 is the most powerful one yet in a Mustang, so it should exceed the current version's 480 horses and 420 pound-feet of torque. The 5.0 also receives a new steel oil pan that's said to help improve oil flow and reduce friction. The driver's-side exhaust manifold has been updated, too, and the camshaft timing on the exhaust side has been revised. The V-8 still comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, which Ford paired with a new dual-mass flywheel that is more robust. The 10-speed automatic remains an option, and it has minor updates meant to improve shift speeds and programming. "​
" Sadly, the four-pot is now only offered with the 10-speed automatic due to low take rates for the manual transmission. "​
" By and large, the new Mustang has the same platform as its predecessor, with the two sharing an essentially identical 107.0-inch wheelbase. Still, Ford did tweak things by specifying aluminum for both front lower links on all cars, changing the design of the suspension knuckles, and updating the rear suspension links to units inspired by the Shelby GT350. The Mustang also has new spring rates and shocks that are said to better match each specific model's ride and performance targets. Most notably, the steering system has been heavily revised with a new rack, a quicker ratio, and other changes that Ford claims make the tiller more responsive (20 percent, to be exact). The Mustang also now has a flat-bottom steering wheel with a thicker rim and a slightly smaller diameter. "​
" Mustangs with the Performance pack now wear Pirelli P Zero PZ4 summer tires instead of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires; a set of Continental all-seasons are standard. With GT models, the Performance package also includes brake ducts and an auxiliary engine oil cooler."​

Not mentioned in this article but I see competing claims from different sources on the Tremec being the transmission or not....
Continental all seasons is an upgrade over the P Zero. Personally I think the PZ4 is a step below the PS4S

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Giving my honest opinion here. I was never a big fan of the current MACH 1 design. I thought the overall vinyl and rims did not mesh well together with most factory colors. If I bought one I would change the rims and remove the vinyl. So this dark horse package offers a cleaner design and I like it. But I don`t think its worth trading the car in for it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
nothing to get excited about. And the 'handling pack' Trofeos are garbage - good for 3 laps and done. Never look to factory for tires - unless your badge says Porsche. Then you can make an exception.

Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
From the Ford debut video:

Darkhorse

"Tried and true manual trans from Tremec, evolved from our GT350 and Mach 1..."

"With the handling pack, the most capable 5 liter yet..."

Will go back and edit my previous posts.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Mach 1 hands out is nicer in my eyes which I intend to keep. However, I kind of like the new design and I am glad they kept the V8 and 6 speed. Look forward to see the performance models for the refresh of the 7gen. Hope we can steal some good parts from this newest generation lol

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
That engine rev had to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. Now dumbass Mustang drivers are going to kill more people with a drift hand brake.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
So the Coyote has minor tweets, with the increase in power from twin throttle bodies? I wonder what kind of mpg it gets.
Wondering the same thing!

It seems by making that much more power ~500ish, they have to be taking a hit on MPG and emissions. I'm interested to see those numbers and see if they pulled any other gearing or aero tricks to offset the MPG loss from the power gain and dual TBs. ....

Ford obviously had to do some thing they didn't want to do to meet emissions with the 2022 M1s, the addition of that carbon filter in the intake. With that, I figured practically speaking, the Coyote was maxed out on power considering the MPG and emission targets they are hamstrung by. I'm very interested in the Gen 4 coyote details.
Sponsored

Last edited: